Newbies are ready to meet other newbies or 'old newbies' in town...

Hi all,
I moved to Malta 5 month ago with my boyfriend (Italian/French) and as we are just now completed the settling-in I feel we are ready to know more people to hang around with. We left the hectic life style of London to live in this great little island, now we feel it's time to get to know more people around our age... Maybe grab a drink or two. We are both in our late 20's and we speak English. Never tried that approach before but hey why not, winter in Malta is a bit boring! :)

Give us a shout!

Hi, I'm a new newbie! 10 days here. I'm in Sliema/St. Julian's though. I wanted to reply anyway, as I'm surprised how inactive sites like this one and couchsurfing seem to be here in Malta, so I thought maybe 1 reply on your post would get things moving! If you're ever over this way message me and I will do the same  :)

Kerry_75 wrote:

Hi, I'm a new newbie! 10 days here. I'm in Sliema/St. Julian's though. I wanted to reply anyway, as I'm surprised how inactive sites like this one and couchsurfing seem to be here in Malta, so I thought maybe 1 reply on your post would get things moving! If you're ever over this way message me and I will do the same  :)

The local couchsurfing community is quite small but do make sure you visit both the 'local discussions' page as well as the actual 'Malta' group ;)

ohhh Kerry_75 how sweet of you!!! Because people like you it's worth trying using this site :) I'm actually thinking the lack of replies is because of how I approached this topic, maybe too intimidating for some? or just not interested... But anyway if we never try we'll never know. :)

So 10 days in Malta so far... What do you think of it? Sliema/ St. Gilijan areas are not that far away from me and sometimes I do go to have a lil drink there :) It would be great to hear back from you! Giuly

hey morky , bienvenue and welcome to malta , hope valletta treating you well im rob and my english is probably good , i was born in the country but listening to some people speak that means nothing . I can speak some french thought i understand it better .sorry i didnt respond its not that you  were intimidating et al it was more the fact that i couldnt afford to go out for  a drink at the time and i would rather wait till i could , if you were interested in meeting up this weekend we could .
Have you been to marsaxlokk sunday is market day so if you wanted to come down for that and we could have a drink you me , my husband and my dog sarjo .

we are about your age matts 28 and im 32 ...
anyway pm me and let me know
all the best

rob

Hi guys,

I have just moved to Malta, near Sliema, and have been here about 2 weeks now. I also moved from London and would love to meet some people for a drink. I speak only English though. But am definitely up for a get together! :)

Hi everyone,

I'm from the UK, near London and am moving to Malta in 4 weeks, hoping to get a place in Sliema/St Julians. I'll definitely be up for a few drinks when I'm there!

To  be honest, the lack of replies may have more to do with the sentence, 'people our age' :). Expats tend to live unconventional lives and it did strike me as slightly odd that you wanted to meet people only (?) in their late 20s. But that's just me. My good friends range in age from 24-70 and I connect with them all in different ways.
Rob- I heard you adopted the dog! That's awesome.

Thanks yeah , he is lovely and I'm so happy too

Hi everyone, last night I got an email notification from couchsurfing local discussions (you were right Lambada- I was looking in the wrong place by just looking at groups-thanks). If anyone is in and around the St. Julians area, there's a regular (albeit small during the winter, I think) couchsurfing meeting in the Saddles pub in Spinola bay at 9pm every Friday. I think I will go and check it out this Friday. Maybe I'll see some of you there!

robpw2 wrote:

hey morky , bienvenue and welcome to malta , hope valletta treating you well im rob and my english is probably good , i was born in the country but listening to some people speak that means nothing . I can speak some french thought i understand it better .sorry i didnt respond its not that you  were intimidating et al it was more the fact that i couldnt afford to go out for  a drink at the time and i would rather wait till i could , if you were interested in meeting up this weekend we could .
Have you been to marsaxlokk sunday is market day so if you wanted to come down for that and we could have a drink you me , my husband and my dog sarjo .

we are about your age matts 28 and im 32 ...
anyway pm me and let me know
all the best

rob

Hi Rob, thank you so much for your reply! You are sweet! I've been to Marsaxlokk! It's beautiful! I will try to arrange another Marsaxlokk day (I love to say that word)... not sure I can make it this Sunday though...
In fact I'm not French, my boyfriend is...However I'm learning French. Your English seems perfect to me! I'm really new at this blog, is there a way to contact you directly through here? Giuly

Nange wrote:

To  be honest, the lack of replies may have more to do with the sentence, 'people our age' :). Expats tend to live unconventional lives and it did strike me as slightly odd that you wanted to meet people only (?) in their late 20s. But that's just me. My good friends range in age from 24-70 and I connect with them all in different ways.
Rob- I heard you adopted the dog! That's awesome.

So I owe you an apology I guess...and to others who thought like you! Trying to think about it I have no idea why I wrote that and I do too have dear friends with the ranging age from  20-63. In fact our first friend in Malta that we got to know from day 2 just turned 60 and we love him to bits and meet with him very often. So if anything I need to thank you for pointing this topic out... If I could amend my message I would!

NicolaY wrote:

Hi guys,

I have just moved to Malta, near Sliema, and have been here about 2 weeks now. I also moved from London and would love to meet some people for a drink. I speak only English though. But am definitely up for a get together! :)

Hi! Welcome to Malta! That sounds great, I'm obviously very keen! Is there any particular area you thought to hang out? Giuly

thats cool click on my profile then send message

drew333 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm from the UK, near London and am moving to Malta in 4 weeks, hoping to get a place in Sliema/St Julians. I'll definitely be up for a few drinks when I'm there!

Cool! let us know when you get here...hopefully it will get warmer by then for you. :)

Kerry_75 wrote:

Hi everyone, last night I got an email notification from couchsurfing local discussions (you were right Lambada- I was looking in the wrong place by just looking at groups-thanks). If anyone is in and around the St. Julians area, there's a regular (albeit small during the winter, I think) couchsurfing meeting in the Saddles pub in Spinola bay at 9pm every Friday. I think I will go and check it out this Friday. Maybe I'll see some of you there!

Hi again Kerry! Would you mind sharing the link to the discussion on Couchsurfing? I never visited that website before... I'll check if I can come too Friday night, although I don't have a car so if I do come, will have to catch the last bus home...at 23:00!?

Hi Giuly,

I'll paste it below, but I'm pretty sure you can't access it unless you're a couchsurfing member. It's quite a secure website I think. I've been a member for a couple of years or so and I'd really recommend it. It's great for meeting locals who can show you around, other expats to hang out with, language exchanges and obviously a much needed couch or room when you have nowhere to stay or want to see a city from the perspective of the locals.

couchsurfing.com/events/378333

I probably won't be staying too much longer than 11 either on Friday- unless it's amazing! Let me know if you decide to come  :)

Thanks Kerry,
I'll check it out right now. I couldn't make it last night as I wanted but I'm up to a meet up next week for sure! If you have any plans or ideas please tell me. How was it last night? Was that a nice place? if not what about a newbies meetup in a different location/pub/bar?
Giuly

Morky- that's ok :). No need to apologize. There is also 'Internations- Malta' you can join for activities and events. For some events you have to be a paid member but as a basic member you get notices about monthly activities. There was just one on Thurs at a pub in St Juluan's.
If you go on any hikes/outdoor activities let me know. Always up for things like that!

Newbies meet up sounds good!

Nange wrote:

Morky- that's ok :). No need to apologize. There is also 'Internations- Malta' you can join for activities and events. For some events you have to be a paid member but as a basic member you get notices about monthly activities. There was just one on Thurs at a pub in St Juluan's.
If you go on any hikes/outdoor activities let me know. Always up for things like that!

Oh thanks for that!!!! :) Internationals-Malta on this blog you mean? I'll check it out! I checked 'Malta Friends' on Facebook but nothing seems to be happening there since Xmas. I'm guessing outdoor activities will happen more in the summer time... and I'll be up for that too!

Kerry_75 wrote:

Newbies meet up sounds good!

I'm also interested. Please keep me posted.

Just interested as to why people are requesting meet ups on this thread when we already have an " Regular Expat.com meet up" post fixed at the top of the page?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=91140

Terry

tearnet wrote:

Just interested as to why people are requesting meet ups on this thread when we already have an " Regular Expat.com meet up" post fixed at the top of the page?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=91140

Terry

This is irregular! ;)

But surely once you have had one "irregular" meeting they become "regular" which makes the "irregular"  topic
"off topic"

:whistle::offtopic:

tearnet wrote:

But surely once you have had one "irregular" meeting they become "regular" which makes the "irregular"  topic
"off topic"

:whistle::offtopic:

There is nothing assured here: just talking - invalidates the argument
Having had "one" meeting, doesn't qualify it as "regular"  - as above
Complaint is a past event might lead to a possible future violation - as above

====

There are two ways to read my short reply above - you chose to read it as if it was confronting you!! That's telling about the frame of mind....

.... but it could equally be going along with your statement. Look again and you'll see it....

Take it easy! Not everyone is out there to get you :)
Have a pleasant Sunday tearnet

Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I will say nothing!

:cheers:

I have looked at that thread and because of the backwards=forwards way that posts sit in the threads on this site I thought the last post was in 2011, when in fact the thread started in 2011! That is why I've been posting here and is probably the reason the thread was first started OR it could be due to the innocent fact that the person who started it wasn't familiar with the site. However, I obviously feel the terrible shame of my heinous crime against correct thread etiquette and won't make a similar mistake again-I am thrashing myself as we speak  ;)

hey I am a student form the UK just arrived to Malta, would be nice to meet up with people who could show me around. Not only nightlife, nice places too... Also, anyone on Erasmus here? Let me know!  Gabrielle (I am a girl btw)

Kerry_75 wrote:

I have looked at that thread and because of the backwards=forwards way that posts sit in the threads on this site I thought the last post was in 2011, when in fact the thread started in 2011! That is why I've been posting here and is probably the reason the thread was first started OR it could be due to the innocent fact that the person who started it wasn't familiar with the site. However, I obviously feel the terrible shame of my heinous crime against correct thread etiquette and won't make a similar mistake again-I am thrashing myself as we speak  ;)

If I can help in any way ..............

Happy weekend everyone!  :) Would any of you be keen to meet up* this coming Friday (6th)? I'm from Valletta area but don't mind meeting up in St Julians/ Sliema. Any suggestions of a pub/bar would be great. It would be so much fun meeting you all!

*Without disrespecting other thread 'meet up blog' territories but everyone is welcome ;)

gabrieleisodaite wrote:

hey I am a student form the UK just arrived to Malta, would be nice to meet up with people who could show me around. Not only nightlife, nice places too... Also, anyone on Erasmus here? Let me know!  Gabrielle (I am a girl btw)

Where you want to go? I know Malta inside out

I will join you all if it's in Sliema/St Julian's area. I'll invite a couple others along too- there is a Belgian guy who volunteers with me who's just here for 2 weeks and I think he'd be up for meeting people.

Great- any suggestions for a nice bar where we can hear each other speak?! I walk from Balluta to Spinola and back every day and the only ones I pass are the tower of London, the Dubliner and Saddles, which I'm not sure is what Morky had in mind. Are the ones overlooking Spinola bay more restaurants than bars? Otherwise there's a cute, small bar near me in Balluta just called Balluta- it is small though. Anyone have any good recommendations in Sliema?

the more the merier! how about this weekend?

If the weather is warmer on Friday there are a couple outdoor place along the seawall (exiles) that have heaters in the evening, food and drinks. We could all meet at Fortizza (tower on the seawall, just before surf side if you're coming from Tigne pt) and choose a place? I like Il Gabbana. Those places wouldn't be too loud, can pull up lots of chairs, etc.

Nange wrote:

If the weather is warmer on Friday there are a couple outdoor place along the seawall (exiles) that have heaters in the evening, food and drinks. We could all meet at Fortizza (tower on the seawall, just before surf side if you're coming from Tigne pt) and choose a place? I like Il Gabbana. Those places wouldn't be too loud, can pull up lots of chairs, etc.

Oh, good idea. I forgot about all the places along exiles. A lot of them have covered areas too, right? If it rains or something

Nange's suggestion is good even if a bit too optimistic. Saddles isn't usually loud although it's been a while since I was there on a Friday night.

I went last Friday night, as it's where couchsurfing meet upstairs. You're right it's ok- cheap and cheerful, which is no bad thing I guess  :)

Hmm might be too crowded if the CSers meet there again. Not such a big place after all and they're usually quite a big group apparently.