Any Recruitment agencies that help or even atleast try for foreigners

Hi I am an Indian married for the last 5 years to a local Malaysian Indian who works as a teacher in a Govt.school. in Kuala Lumpur. I have had working experience in Malaysia in the past (I was lucky to get that job 3 years back in a very large Chinese Service sector Company having outlets throughout the Peninsular region through one of the job fairs conducted by Jobstreet)... But unfortunately I had to resign the job after working just for a year and had to go back to India for a long period of time due to unforeseen circumstances at home. Now after things have got settled down I want to start looking for a job all over again as I do not want to go back to my old Company due to personal reasons though I am sure I will be happily given back my old job. 

Now i m feeling frustrated to apply for jobs without getting back any replies and also dont see any job fairs coming up in near future.... I am quite well qualified to the best of my knowledge and have got loads of experience in Operations Management (most of it in India) ....I am sure if I am given a chance to meet the Company personnel directly I can secure a job for myself......So if someone from this site can help to guide me to a recruitment agency who are willing to assist in finding jobs for a foreign national or some companies who are willing to hire foreigners and that I can walk-in directly for an interview ... I have tried almost all the Big Recruitment agencies in the Market and almost all of them are unwilling to even hear me out once they come to know that I am a foreigner (specifically an Indian). I know how difficult it is for foreigners to get a job in Malaysia especially for Management positions and thats the reason I am trying to find if any recruitment agencies are out there who can help me in my quest. Please if anybody has any information it will be of big help.

Thank you

regards

sabbas

You should always make it quite clear you are the spouse of a Malaysian citizen and have worked before in Malaysia (is that permission to work still valid - I guess not) so you are easy to employ if you have the required skills and experience. There is a jobs fair at KLCC coming up soon. Check it out and see if you can be lucky again.  I dont think agencies dont try, I just think you are presenting yourself in the wrong way and should be careful about how your CV is worded and that you make good on-line applications when necessary. You must sound enthusiastic, competent and tell the potential future employer what benefits you will bring to the organisation if they hire you. Sell your skills as much as possible by analysing what you are very good at doing. Another idea is to refresh your skills by completing a complementary or new area course in Malaysia, so you have local qualifications. There is a Government body that support Skills Development, you will find it on the internet.

@Gravitas :  Thanks for the info about the Jobs fair coming up soon ...I will surely check on it  ...

I always tell the agencies the whole picture but the agencies are just not interested and they always give me the same answer that their clients look for Malaysian citizens only ... Job fairs makes it easy for me because I can actually meet up with the company's representative directly ...but its very tough to make the agencies staff to understand...and yes they dont even try ..this is from my personal experience ...they dont even give a look-see at my resume ... the first and only question they ask is whether I am a local and when I tell them the whole tstory they just say that they cannot help even when I tell them that I have already worked and have got myself the permit ...I have been in Malaysia for 5 years and its been the same case every time i have tried to contact any agency ....As i said before I have contacted almost all the Big agencies in Malaysia ... and received the same answer from them.... 

Jobstreet is absolutely useless IMHO atleast in my case ... been a member for the last 5 years and not one job application has been successful even for an interview and dont think its  only for me ...I know a few Malaysians too who feel the same way about Jobstreet and JobsDB... When 99% of my applications I apply from jobstreet are not even viewed by the advertiser where's the question of me not presenting myself the right way ?? But i still keep applying for jobs from those websites even now in the hopes of getting lucky someday ..because I dont have much choice

Still I had the same doubt about my CV when i was not getting any replies to my applications and so i had it done from a professional for a fee...who went on to say that my wording is perfectly alright but the resume style is ancient ...so my CV had a complete makeover with all colors and pretty looking designs as per the professionals way of making it look attractive... by the way I chose specifically a Malaysian professional and someone who was already been part of a recruiting agency (Jobstreet.com)....still not been getting any response for my applications ...

My permit - when and if I get a new job all I need to do is get a new stamp on my Passport with that Company's details on it from the immigration ... thats not really the difficult part... making the people understand is the difficult part ....making them see my resume is the most difficult part ...

Refreshing my skills by completing a new course does sound like a good idea and maybe I will give it a try but getting a job is the main priority now for me ...And the whole purpose of me posting on this forum is to find out if someone can help me with information about any recruitment agency in Malaysia who can help or have helped in the past any foreigner to get a job .... I dont mind if I have to pay for their services if the agency can assure me of getting me a job ....

Regards

sabbas

Well to be honest I have seen some really shocking CVs written by "professionals" because they actually dont necessarily understand what a HR hiring manager is going to be looking for. i.e. have you got a 3-4 line summary at the beginning called "profile"? Is the CV only 1 page or max 2 pages (second page wont be read). Does it list tasks you have done i.e. like a job description - if it has a list its useless.

One HUGE mistake people make is to assume that "their CV" is suitable for every job application.  This is simply NOT THE CASE. For every application the CV should be tailored to bring out the skills you have that match their requirements. Therefore you would need several CVs.

You dont mention your level of qualifications, but if you have a degree and solid basic and relevant experience to that degree then Michael Page or Robert Walters do have jobs for foreigners. I guess you speak Bahasa Malaysia by now, so make sure that is quite clear, even in your "profile".

Depending on your skills and personality, there are jobs as Teaching Assistants available.

Fact is getting permission to work for a spouse under the new system is harder than a work permit.

So do the math! That is the sad fact of life.

So basically you in same boat as other expat Indians looking for a job.

@ Gravitas : Well I have already checked with them both Michael Page and Robert Walters and they gave me the same answer ...I wanted them to go through my CV and find me a suitable job and the answer they gave was that since I am not local they cannot help me much and they just asked me to apply for jobs from the jobstreet directly .... I can understand you saying about many mistakes that happen in CVs and maybe not getting the jobs because of that but I dont think I made myself clear ...My CV's are not even reaching them for them to refuse me on the basis of that .... I know for very sure because my job applications in Jobstreet are never viewed by the advertiser(we do get to know if the advertiser views it or atleast thats what the website claims)  ...thats the reason I am now looking for any agency or Companies whom I can meet face to face who are willing to even listen to me out and are willing to see my CV so that I will atleast know that there's a problem with my CV / in my experience / skill set for their refusal to give me a job ... the last time I went to the jobs fair I was able to impress a couple Companies even with my "Ancient" Resume and I chose the better of the two to work ....

Nemodot wrote:

Fact is getting permission to work for a spouse under the new system is harder than a work permit.

So do the math! That is the sad fact of life.

So basically you in same boat as other expat Indians looking for a job.

May I know what is the new system?? As I already mentioned before I already have the work permit from my last job but i keep hearing about this new system on this website being real pain to get ...May I know when was this new system implemented ...very recently??? because I had got it in the year 2011 and did not find it any difficult at all ....and what is the harder part about it ...thank you ...

I agree, I think it is always best to apply over a website for interesting jobs, and not go through online agency aps. You can always make an unsolicited approach and mail your CV and a nice covering letter to companies you would like to work for. Dont forget to paste a electronic version of a good photo into your CV at the top.

Hi it was simple before all you did was get a work permit as a spouse annually. Then they "simplified it" which in usual Malaysian way meant ballsinup ! Too complicated LTSVP that says "no permission to work" and almost impossible to get processed for work (I know from an employers perspective). The old system worked well. The new system was meant to be easier.

So now you have to get a normal work permit or a very understanding employee. Under the new system they offer you a job and you seek permission to work. That scares employers as they risk  getting into trouble.

Nemodot - the reasons are not "simplification". Its to deter foreigners in whichever way possible. I hear that soon there will be European-like rules here, i.e. 2 travel visa entries per year only, so max stay in any one year without pass will be 6 months.

[moderated: no free ads on the forum, please register your services in the Kuala Lumpur Business Directory]

Hi!
I have experience of 14 years in teaching position. I taught people of all ages and positions IELTS and English Language. Can I have a job in Kuala Lumpur so that I can shift my family soon?

Please reply me. Currently I'm living in Bangladesh but few years back I worked in Kuala Lumpur for 6 months.

Thanking
Tasmina

hi!
i'm a bangladeshi but want to move to kualalumpur, how can i get job permit or job? can anyone suggest me pls?

Hi you have no chance. Malaysians either use local tefl teachers (plenty of them) or native speakers.

I once helped a Malaysian Chinese chose a primary school in London just after she arrived for her daughter. She was horrified that state schools were 80% bangleseshi in canary wharf. She said she didn't want her kid speaking like "them". She wanted white British kids to speak to! You do the  math. Kl is 80% Chinese Malaysian.