Jobs in Puerto Rico

Is it really as hard as it sounds to find a job in Puerto Rico ?

It depends on your education and experience. With a college degree and relevant work experience you may find a nice job, without it you're limited to $ 7.25/hr jobs and you'll have to compete with lots of locals.
Being fluent in Spanish helps  or is required for many jobs.

Harder - "Hard" implies you can get a job if you try hard enough and wait long enough. That's misleading. There's at least just a good of a chance that you'd never find a job no matter what you did or how long you persevered.

Hi Matt; Wlecome! Yeah, the economy in PR is rough. What kind of work do you do? I'd suggest checking out usajobs.gov, and waiting until you have something you can count on.

Thanks everyone ! Currently I work as a Service manager for a major dealership , I also have experience in everything from security to bartending . I will definitely check out that site ! Thanks again

We r retirees,  from what friends n family say, jobs are low paying if your lucky to find one. Spoke with a lady just yesterday,  her husband works two job, one pays 7.15 per hr, no raise in 9 yrs! Second job pays 8.00 per hour but only part time, she also works at 8.00 per hour, two children n they are struggling. Planning on leaving PR for better pay. Food is expensive here, utilities are ok, no heating! I wished her luck.......beautiful Island, love the culture n just glad that we were blessed to retired here.

Get ready for a paycut.

I think I'm in the same position as Matt.  I have a PhD, but have done everything from waitressing (which I love!) to administration.  I have a lot of administrative experience, but I am not fluent in Spanish...yet!  I have already applied for a position through Usajobs.  Any other advice?  I'm not worried about a pay cut as I have lived on very low income in the states while looking for jobs, but I am worried about securing something a little better than $8/hour.  Waitressing pays more, usually.  I'm visiting in April and plan to move in June/July.  I also have 2 kids.  Thanks!  Glad you guys are here!

USAJOBS.GOV, if you've got a Phd, chances are you can find something.

Thanks...but I can't even get something on the main land ;)  Here, I always have waitressing and consulting to refer to.  I'll figure it out.  I'll definitely keep looking at usajobs!  I visit PR at the end of April.  I can't wait!!

14% unemployment and a brain drain escaping the island for the mainland...... sounds like an opportunity for someone who thinks out side the box....

Etilley, a PhD in what? You should be able to get a (part time) teaching job with that, right?

The PhD is Family Studies.  I've applied for a lot of teaching jobs. Flooded market ;)  I also have background in research.  PR doesn't have these types of positions in my field.  But, I have to, as "We're Moving WHERE?" just said, think outside of the box!!

etilley23 wrote:

PR doesn't have these types of positions in my field.

Yeah, the same happened to me 14 years ago. Master's in chemical engineering and a lot of experience in the food industry in Europe.

etilley23 wrote:

But, I have to, as "We're Moving WHERE?" just said, think outside of the box!!

Right! I now own and run a small computer & network service company

That's nice to hear Gary!  I will work the angles I need to make it happen!  My boyfriend has a family farm in Mayaguez.  It is a wonderful simple life, but I have to be able to work too!!  One day at a time :)

@etilley23: What are you going to do for the kids' schooling? Homeschool?

Nomad: I have found both very good bilingual public and private (very reasonably priced) schools.  I want the kids to actually be able to meet other children and have more immersion.

If you are interested in teaching PR has several English schools that are ALWAYS looking for mainland teachers. That said, there is a difinite paycut and they want someone with a teaching certificate. Still, it's a stable job. I am a Behavior Analyst and have not been able to find any significant work in my field as of yet. Be prepared for old fashioned "handshake networking" as most things are word of mouth here. I will say I have had more success in networking in the last 7months since arriving on the island then in the 1 1/2 yrs I tried to network online prior to moving. Best of luck!!

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : off topic - post in Personal and household services jobs in Puerto Rico section pls section pls

Are there many phlebotomist/lab assistant  jobs in PR?