Cost of living in Nepal – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Nepal in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Nepal you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Nepal?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

It's very difficult for the local people. Everything is going up except wages. So many work for a good Nepali wage of 1,000 NRs. per day. But if they want to buy a pair of jeans it will cost them an entire days' pay or more. Others are not so lucky.

Amul Butter: 425 500 gram
Papaya: 150 per kg
Button mushrooms: 200 gram 200 NRs.
Brown bread: 70-75
Potatoes: 50 per Kg
Tomatoes: 60 per kg
Cauliflower: 50 per kg
Broccoli: 70-75
Onion: 50 per kg

These prices are from Changunarayan, just outside of Bhaktapur. Most of these are organic, but not certified-just locally grown by people who cannot afford insecticide. The ground is very fertile. They also might be slightly more expensive due to the villagers knowing my shopper is buying for a tourist.

Thank you for this useful information MadagascarNow :top:

Shaazia

My Nepali (X) wife and I lived nicely in Lakeside Pokhara for $26usd a day in 2010 for 3 months. Decent hotel room with balcony view north, and TV, negociated down to $7/nite. 3 meals a day in Lakeside small restaurant (D-B-T for dinner!) $12usd/day. Motorcycle rental (long term=cheaper) $5usd/day. 1-2 beers also.

Hi,
       Pokahra is good for long stay as it is full of natural beauty still we have apartments in pokhara from 200$ with attached bath rom,kitchen facility 24 hour electricity and wifi ,hot and cold water.
        any one who are interested to rentout whole building in pokhara which is very beautiful and fully furnished please contact me to see the buliding good for apartment business or also good for family or organisation

Dear mr or mrs  ! It's very difficult to explain you . Everything is going up .

Amul Butter: 425 (500) gram
Papaya: 150 per kg
Button mushrooms: 200 gram 200 NRs.
Brown bread: 70-75
Potatoes: 50 per Kg
Tomatoes: 60 per kg
Cauliflower: 50 per kg
Broccoli: 70-75
Onion: 50 per kg
transportation= 3 km in taxi =600 rupees

These prices are kathmandu only. if you are rent in kathmandu 1 flat that cost 15 to 20 k around their,  school is very costly , class 1 fees is 2000 rupees .

Hi everybody, I just started a whole section on this on my blog myrealnepal.com under Prices in Nepal category . I am currently living in Pokhara and find the prices are going up all the time. The prices of basic grocery (vegetables etc) are similar to those listed in the post from Kathmandu. There is a big difference between Lakeside and other non-touristy parts of the city. Tiny one bedroom+kitchen apartment in Lakeside is 200-250USD/month. Outside Lakeside (For example Birauta, Gharipatan, Mahendra Pul) you can get decent two or three bedroom apartment for 100-110USD/month, but it is not furnished. Starting costs of furnishing apartment can be high, but after that you can live pretty cheap if you are on a budget. Our expenses for two people were 350USD/month (excluding visa costs).

yes similar of prize , kathmandu is expensive ! not like pokhara !