Visitors hiring cars to go to Gozo?

Caveat Emptor. Alert any visiting family and friends.

Times of Malta
Car rental company Goldcar is charging its clients an extra €9 a day when renting out a vehicle to Gozo. The Rent-a-Car Association said that they have received several complaints about Goldstar's 'Gozo tax' and that they have passed them on to the competent authorities.

Goldstar has found a hole in the tourist market: in their pockets to be precise
and
now helping them by lightening their load at the same time making the bank manager very happy ;)

Thanks for this, it is hidden very deep in their T&Cs and not immediately obvious - saw no sign of it on the website I booked through! Just saved me E90, thank you.

OK, for what it is worth I have contacted them about it and received this reply:

Good afternoon Mr. ---------,

Hope this email finds you well.

Kindly note that we are in the process in removing the policy of the Gozo Cover. Kindly note that the cover is for any case that something happens in Gozo such as Breakdowns or accidents.

Please feel free to contact us if you require further information.​

Kind Regards,
----------------------
Operations Manager
Goldcar Malta

Interestingly enough they replied within 15 minutes of me emailing, which I found surprising!

No fee, no cover? or just the fee  is being dropped! It's unclear

New Horizonz wrote:

No fee, no cover? or just the fee  is being dropped! It's unclear

The charge is being dropped. I have clarified this with Goldcar.

The only reference I could find to the Gozo tax is  located under 7.5 of Goldcars T&Cs, so would pay to make sure it isn't there before booking.  There was no prior warning on the booking site or their web booking portal, which is pretty sharp. I skimmed the T&Cs and missed it as it was hidden after the baby seat and gps info which was of no interest! That will learn me...

They may have stated that to you but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep it. Typically devious.
Maybe UK should follow and tax for travel 'out of county'?
Mind you this could be a reflection of how so many Maltese view Gozo, Gozitans and other Gozo residents; as if they are on another planet. (We are, thank goodness.)
Or, it could be because the Maltese are often 'taxed' when they come over here  ;)