Information about westlock - need a car - an appartment

Hi everyone
I am a mauricien, 28 yrs of age and will probable be in Alberta by April. I got a job offer and I am waiting for my work permit. As I am preparing to settle in Alberta i will need information.
If someone can tell me how life is in Alberta, cost of living and any vital information that i will need to know before I settle in. I will be in westlock.
I will also need a cars, if you know where I can get second hand car please advice, my budget for a car is 5000$ not more. Also an appartment, Price etc...

Hello davkel and welcome on board Expat.com

Hope that some members will be able to help you concerning your queries. I invite you to browse through the threads on the Alberta forum so as to gather as much info as possible.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Westlock is about 87 km away from the capital of Alberta, Edmonton.

Its a small town with a small population. Typically Canadians use the website Kijiji for everything. Buy, Sell, Rent, etc. So if you are looking for an apartment, try Kijiji.ca. Unfortunately being a small town, there is not fix Westlock location to work with your search. So you'll probably have to type in Westlock in your search string. I did so by typing "Westlock car" and this came up http://www.kijiji.ca/b-edmonton/westlock-car/k0l1700203

Now I would say, you might want to hunt for second hand cars in Edmonton too since its not too far away. But when it comes to apartment dwelling - being a small town might be challenging. Its probably better to be there in person. Or I would contact the city itself and seek for advice:

Telephone: 780.349.4444
Toll Free: 1.866.349.4445
Fax: 780.349.4436
[email protected]

http://www.westlock.ca/

All the best

As for cost of living, the closest info you can get from Numbeo.com is Edmonton
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … y=Edmonton

Thanks

I know several people that moved to Alberta and then decided to move back to Toronto because they didn't like the culture or people. The province is very conservative and the citizens often refer to themselves as 'rednecks'.

With the drop in oil prices, Alberta being an oil-based economy will be going through a serious economic correction and many individuals are already  planning to move out of the province as they anticipate an increasing unemployment rate. Also, the cost of living is relatively  high to other comparable Canadian cities, primarily because of its distance and isolation from sources for many of the necessary goods. The province used to be a major producing of coal and has areas that are reported with higher rates of cancer due to some carcinogenic agents. One of the residents of Pincher Creek had told me that the community has (or had at the time) the highest murder rate in all of Canada.

In 2013, despite Canada's murder rate being the lowest in 47 years, Edmonton had the 4th highest murder rate and Calgary the 7th highest murder rate in Canada. If you move to Alberta, you will have a 65.9% greater chance of being murdered than if you live in Ontario. Some people claim that Alberta's rate is actually higher because there may be foreign workers in the province who go missing and are never found. The legal system in Alberta is also not as sophisticated or fair as it is in Ontario or other provinces.

However, overall Canada is one of the safest countries in the world.