Teaching at British School Quito

Hi guys,
I'm considering moving to Quito and applied for a position at BSQ. It seems like a nice place to work so far and I'd like to know a bit more about the school - anyone here to offer a short review? Teachers, parents, students, alumni...?  Thanks a lot :-)
Kristyna

BSQ or British School of Quito is a school for pre-K to age 18 located in the capital's suburb of  Tumbaco.  It is a small school that teaches a wide range of subjects.

When the British ambassador to Ecuador -- Richard Lavers -- arrived in Quito in the early 1990's, he discovered that EC was one of two countries in South America that lacked a British School.  Lavers and Gloria Dorothy Hooper -- a British baroness and attorney -- co-founded BSQ in Quito through a bilateral agreement between the UK and the government of Ecuador.  In 1999, the school was moved to Tumbaco.

Classes are taught in English.  However, Spanish-language classes are given, as are Ecuador history and geography classes.

BSQ offers an International Baccalaureate program lasting two years for its most senior students.  The varied curriculum has enabled IB graduates to gain admission to some of the world's most prestigious universities, according to BSQ's website.

Some BSQ students choose to participate in a social-work program making books available to low-income Ecuadorians:  the "bus book" program.  The school website shows pictures of BSQ students singing Christmas carols, in a poster for the recent December 17th concert at Quito's Quicentro Mall.

Teachers have come primarily from the UK, although also from the U.S., Canada and Australia in recent years.

sources:  britishschoolquito.edu.ec and Wikipedia

You might try posting your question on Daves ESL cafe, although Ecuador topics tend to be sparse and slow. Not a lot of action there.

General Latin America Forum:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum … 457a27a824

Reddit also has a pretty active TEFL forum where you could inquire.

http://www.reddit.com/r/TEFL

A YouTube video displaying BSQ -- and its verdant surroundings in Tumbaco -- and social-media links for the school are posted at the website, britishschoolquito.edu.ec  ...  Click on the "Social" option for the relevant pull-down menu.

Also on the website:  letters from seven alumni.  Click on the Student Life tab and then FOBS* Alumni.

*FOBS = Friends of British School.

botkova.k wrote:

I'm considering moving to Quito and applied for a position at BSQ.

Kristyna in Vientiane, Laos...

The recent BSQ teacher interviews were held only in London and Manchester, UK.

Are you willing and able to go to the UK if BSQ invites you for an interview...

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks a lot :-) I'm most certainly NOT able to go to UK, there's going to be a Skype interview...

Good thinking.

And good luck with the interview.

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you, I'd really like to get the job...

Hi expats!
I would like to know more about Albert Einstein School, discipline, bullying, are IB teachers native speakers, etc.
Thank you for your help.
Amaranta

The Einstein School, also known as Colegio Experimental Alberto Einstein, was founded by members of Quito's Jewish community in 1973.

While it calls itself a secular school -- and is open to all -- Jewish culture is a major feature.  It is Spanish-English bilingual, and in later years (equivalent of high school), students may choose between French and Hebrew as an additional language to study.

Tuition for the younger students is $4,200 per year, not including meals, transportation and school uniforms.

A poster stating he was a teacher at another Quito school said most of the Einstein teachers are local Ecuadorians, and Einstein is "definitely not an international school."

sources:  judaictourism.com, Viva Travel Guides and the school's website:  www.einstein.k12.ec

Hi,
Can you tell what are the tuition in BSQ for the grade 8 and grade 5 ,English curriculum ,as I can't find it on their website.

Thanks
Roy

For tuition details, contact the British School of Quito admissions department...

admissions (at) britishschoolquito.edu.ec

or call them 593 3 2374 649

source...school website