A question about EU blue card in Belgium

Is anyone working in Belgium with an EU blue card (issued also in Belgium)?

I am offered a contract in Belgium and my employer is applying for type B work permit.
They are saying that they do not know about EU blue card program and never applied for it for their employee. As far as I understand, I am eligible for this program (min salary requirement, education etc), but I do not understand how to apply for it.

Also what are the benefits as compared to type D work permit? What I see is that a) after 18 months of work if I decide to work in another EU country, I will be able to "transfer" my blue card work permit to this country and b) after the 1st year it is renewed for 3 years (and not for 1 year as type D). Is it right? Is there anything else?

-> If employer applies for a work permit in order to employ you, they can only do it for B type.  (Different types are mentioned here: http://www.werk-economie-emploi.irisnet … de-travail)
-> EU blue card if for experienced professionals who would like to work as independent consultants - Details here: http://www.werk-economie-emploi.irisnet … europeenne    (This must be secured by yourselves. I don't think company can apply for EU blue card on your behalf.).

Hi,

Thanks for the links, now it is bit more clear for me.
Actually you are not completely right that EU blue card application must me secured by myself only.
As written in the 2nd link you provided me:

"There is a dual application procedure for obtaining an EU Blue Card.
On the one hand, the foreign national concerned must submit an application for a Blue Card:
        if they are still in their country of origin, they must apply to the competent consular authorities,
        if they are already living in Belgium, they must apply to the foreign nationals department of the municipality in which they are resident.
    At the same time, the employer wishing to recruit the foreign national concerned must first apply for and obtain a temporary employment permit from the Administration of Economy and Employment of the Brussels-Capital Region, if the place of employment is within the Brussels-Capital Region.
It is advisable to submit the two applications at one and the same time."

So the employer should still apply for the work permit, the only difference is that it is not 12-month long B type, but a temporary work permit that is valid only until EU card is issued or for 90 days maximum.

Good piece of info.. I didn't know the employer can apply for blue card.. Good to know..

Good luck with the processing ..

Thanks! Although I'll got for type B first...

Hey..

I was confusing it with http://economie.fgov.be/en/entreprises/ … NjeQi55_oF

This professional card is from what I read, a card to be secured by the individual him/herself is he/she wants to come to Belgium as a self employed professional or to setup a company in Belgium. I was thinking you wanted to apply for this.

In your case, yes, the employer is hiring you and it is normally them who apply for the card normally, unless they told you to secure it ;)