Considering Moving to KL as Sales Operation Director need Salary Info

Currently in Bangalore as Sales Operation Director with a monthly Salary of 1.2 L INR after deduction. My Company wants me to take care of APAC with me based in KL where my main responsibility will be to build a team of 10 FTE. Could someone let me know how much hike I must consider before move and living comfortably with my wife? I have been given the option to come up with a number so would really need suggestion which should be realistic to my employer.

Well as the cost of living is about 30-50% higher in Malaysia than various cities in India, that is a guideline to retain parity. But salary is not everything. The best thing is to get a package that covers extras such as housing, chauffeur or car lease payments, utilities, school fees (if relevant), home leave once a year, etc. etc.

Thanks Gravitas. How much a director can expect in Malayasia from a global Telecom Company. Please suggest a number.

This is a reference point but individual situations and companies will differ:

http://www.kellyservices.com.my/uploade … y_Services(1)/4-Resource_Center/Malaysia%20salary%20guide%20ebook.pdf

At least you can see the general gist of salaries in Malaysia from it.  Your question is impossible to answer accurately.

Hi Chinidip,

If you have school going kids be sure to get their education covered. Quality schooling can be quite expensive in KL.
You should expect anything above 25K +

Regards,

The job may be rather challenging in terms of recruiting and managing local and expat workers. Is the company MSC registered? Some companies manage their staff by posting them outstation to impossible tasks.....

As a director you need 25k RM even as an indian (a western expat in this post in should ask for 40k plus). That is 4 times your current salary approx if I understand what you mean by L. Do understand only Indians understand this as the rest of the world don't!

Malaysian directors earn far more than this after allowing for "commission payments" that as a foreigner you cant receive unless settles here. Generally 2 million a year rm is a typical income of a director level job.

With children you need 25k plus all school fees, medical and car btw for a semi decent living. Middle class Malaysians earn far more than this but usually in business. Official salaries are low here and either you get lots of "commissions" or get own business.

A decent house costs 3 million plus, a decent car plus one for wife 1.5 million ( add extra for 2nd wife/mistress) and that is what you need for a decent status here. Most expats don't realise how low their status is these days ;) or how much local upper middle class earn.

So what consists a good standard is very hard to define but 25k for a couple (cash only) for a couple is what I say is rock bottom to make it worth living in Malaysia plus school fees if you have kids.

I am assuming you will be moving with family and 1 child.
Since you are an indian, I believe you would be looking for international schools with CBSE which aren't many here.

Once popular school i.e GIIS should cost you around RM 1500 per month.

Assume a tax of about 25%

A descent cost of living in KL (including GIIS schooling for one child) would be close to 7500-8000 RM. If you go for a condo in the city center, then maybe around RM 9000.

Rest is your savings. I believe since your salary in India is INR 120,000, you should be ok with anything above RM 20K per month.