Transportation

Good Morning,

This is the first time I am using public transportation here in Dr so I was hoping I could get some information.

I am taking Caribe Tours from Jarabacoa to Santo Domingo so I can catch my flight from SDQ to the U.S.  Does anyone know how close the Caribe depot is to the airport and what the best way is to get from the Caribe Depot to SDQ?  Also any approximation of the cost to do that?

Thanks

It is a good 30 to 40 minutes from Caribe Tours to the airport.  It will cost about 35 US. I have a driver in the capital that I can send to pick you up if you like!  Message me if you want his info or if I can help arrange it for you. 

IF you arrive any time near rush hours - make sure allow at least  1 hour from Caribe tours to the airport.

Planner is correct. BUT it has taken my once over an hour for that ride.

Bob K

Can do Bob, sure can............  I've seen it take closer to 2 hours if it is a Friday night in  rush hour...............

My flight is at 3pm next Wednesday and the first bus out from here is 10am.  I am hoping that is enough time to get me from Jarabacoa to the airport.

Sounds like you are cutting it close.  What time do you arrive in Santo Domingo?

It will be a very close connection.  Are you having to change buses in Santiago or going direct to Santo Domingo.  If you have to change buses you probably won't make your flight.  If a direct bus you may just barely make it.  Figure 3 hours to Santo Domingo or a bit more then the hour or more cab ride ...very close.  You might consider going to SD the day before, enjoy dinner in the colonial zone and leave in the morning for the airport

Bob K

I am not even sure.  I have to chexk on it now.  I origonally had a friend who was going to deive me but that fell apart just yesterday so now I am in a frantic mode to check it all out.  I will let you know.

I just called Caribe Tours and they have 7am bus arriving at 9:15am in Santo Domingo and a 10am arriving at 12:30pm and my flight at 3:10pm.  Thoughts?

Get on the 7am bus and you should have no problem

Bob K

Thank you!  I know some f my issues may seem very small but since we do not have a car and generally stay local there is so much we still have to learn.  I am so grateful for this forum as both you and Planner have helped us so much.  Again, thank you both!

You are welcome and safe travels.

Bob K

[Post under review]

Excuse me  but in most cases the cost from the Caribe tour station to the airport is usually quoted at $35.  You can bargain and if lucky get it at $25.

I have to say I take offense at your attitude so if you can't be civil then feel free not to contribute anymore... WE certainly won't miss  you

Have a good day

Bob K

Consider him reported.  I suggest you get to know the forum and the members before  making comments and statements like you just did!!!!

I was going to report him so thanks

Bob K

You are welcome..... :)

(Moderated: no personal attacks here please )

Yes  you have your opinion ...no matte if wrong... but that is the Dominican Way.

Oh BTW we are in Dominican Republic not US or Canada.

Bob K

There is the flaw in your logic,  this board is neither in north America or owned by a North American. 

This particular board is about the Dominican Republic and if you want to be part of it,  you are welcome to state your opinions however do it without attacking anyone else!   

Freedom of speech is not at issue here,  rude ignorant behaviour is! 

We are volunteers and we help others the best we can, based on our own knowledge and information!

First of all speaker is a friend of mine and a stand up fellow dominican. Here was born here and moved to ny. He was educated and attended Nyu. He does not mean to offend anyone he is just quoting a more reasonable an accurate price. Additionally, i do not think bob should represent statements about ( Dominican way) when he is American and should fully comprehend where speaker is coming from. Speaker is a stand up dominican American.

I am not attacking anyone planner. This was not personal it was an objective statement from my native experience of local prices. Just attempting to quote a reasonable price for a person in need.

We appreciate that, you just came across really strong. We value the opinions, you come from a totally different perspective from some of us.

And it is very welcome - let's keep things cool, share info and help those who need it!

I can say without any issue Bob will give his opinion from his experience.  Of course his experience won't be the same as a Dominican' s. We so get that.  Same as mine won't be either.  We share what we know.....

So let's carry on.....

Wow, I never meant to spark such controversy when I posted this question nor did I see the post by Speaker which is blocked and under review.  I would love to know what it said please....

The fact is Planner was correct on price.  I was quoted anywhere from 1200 to 1400 pesos when I called around 1500 pesos on return if they waited on me at the airport and helped with luggage back to Caribe bus depot.

The ride from Caribe to SDQ took about 25 min I believe because there was no traffic due to the holiday.   I cannot speak for the return trip however since I do not come back until this Wednesday.

In regards to comments from Bob K and Planner.  I can tell you that they have been a Huge help to me and I am quite sure to countless others.  They have been dead on with advice to me on many different subjects and I am very grateful for that.  Every person has had a different experience relocating here and in their day to day life and this blog and forum is to share those experiences.  Noone has any right to tear down anyone else.  Please respect one another and do not ruin this for those who find it valuable.

I did not see the comments either since they were blocked, but I too stand by planner and Bob......since they have always been honest and forthcoming with info since I have been a member on the blog...,...I think that if anyone has a different advice to offer other than the ones posted, then please post, but without making anyone else feel uncomfortable. The blog is for sharing and learning from each other, and there will be times that we will not agree, but if you feel info provided is inaccurate or a bit off the mark then please submit proof of your findings in order for all of us to be enlightened by the actual information. We are all open to learning and let's keep the knowledge and love flowing :heart:

Opinions always welcome.
Personal attacks NEVER welcome.
Have a great day and enjoy 'MY adopted country" especially from snowy NY

Bob K

Thanks everyone.  lmclm glad you got home safe and sound!  I hope the return trip is just as easy!   

And lets carry on, this is the welcome forum........