Any body been given a woman? I have one now! Would welcome thoughts

Reading more about Buddhism. I see where karma comes from, and where it goes. It also explains why bad things sometimes happen to good people. Apparently, I have been working through my previous incarnations, and one of them must have been quite the bad-ass. He didn't get the karma right away, I got it somewhere down the line. Hopefully, I have used up all the bad, at least most of it. and can now reap some the good; from past lives, and own.
Just spoke to a teacher who will teach Chroeb 2 hours daily, Mon-Fri. One hour of English, and one of Khmei. She does love learning!

Great story MadMax, and congratulations on your wedding.

I myself am going through the process of applying to marry my  fiancée of 3 years in Cambodia, it is a real hassle but will be worth it in the end, and not as much of a nightmare that you have had to endure. I am lucky as the age law does not effect me (I am 30, my fiancée is 25).

Best of luck with your book, and I wish you and your wife a life of happiness together.

MM Pls dont stop the thread. It gave us so much liveliness. If you stop this thread, please start new about your travel plans to States. I too may go in USA soon or start a new life some other country.

Naive to say the least, ha ha comical

Hi madmax I have been following your journey and would love to see pics of u and ur lovely wife please add me to fb

I couldn't believe the title of this thread so I had to check it out myself. Wow. How vastly different our cultures are.

Finally finished up the major part of the book, spawned from this forum! I have the editing to complete, and then going through the hoops that LULU will put me through for self-publishing. I will add some photos, and hopefully, some of you will actually buy it. I hope to offer it in paperback, as well as an e-book. I will post again when it is all done!
Thank yous to all the supporter\s who have encourage me along this saga!

The kids will be selling photocopies of it down at the Riverside in PP ;-)

My facebook page is [email protected] I need your name when you "friend" me. Wedding pics are on my photo albums. Feel free to look at all of them.

Hi Max,

I've been following your story ever since the original post which had everyone wondering what was going on.

It's great to see the fairy tale unfolding!

I married my best mate myself last year and things get better each day!

We're intending to be over in Cambodia (Snooky, Key, Kampot) in the Autumn (fall) and hope to be there for a few months.

Karma will out - keep on living the dream :D

LC

USMC - Yes the cultural differences are immense! Besides the language, the Khmer culture is not what it once was. The Khmer Rouge regime of 1975 - 1979 did so much damage to the peoples ability to trust each other, and the destruction of many businesses has taken its toll. Many people here are obsessed with money, even my wife. She will ask "How much it cost?" about many  things, from life in America to housing. I guess having nothing, including not much to eat, has harmed the usual  gentle and giving nature. It takes a while before the average Khmer will trust any outsider.

To Netyoda
Good to hear from you again. The book is in editing now, and I am thinking about an outside source for this, as it is tough to edit your own writings! If you  get down to Snooky, be sure to let me know, and we can hook up for drinks or dinner!

OMG....I love this thread. Believe it or not. I just today went to the forum noticed this post and began to read it and i couldnt stop until i read it all. WOW, Im so happy for you guys. Now tell me; what should I expect to pay for apartment, food, maid, and travel about town? In PP or outside city center.

I prefer living amoung locals verses expat communities. I do not like paying way too much just to be exclusive.

My retirement is better than 4k US/mos. Im not extravegant by no means. So with that info can you share with me and anyone else who plan to go there?

I will be honest by saying i want a lady/partner as well. I just prefer the courtship thing...lol

Thanks for reading my thread! It certainly has been an adventure.
As for advice for your living here, I would suggest that you try different places, like Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, maybe Kompot, as well. Each has its good and bad points. I like to be near the coast, and I really do not like big cities at all.
The rainy season will begin soon, and that will also be a challenge for you, just getting around! I prefer it, as most of the tourists have gone home, and while the hotel and restaurant owners and not happy, it makes my life easier.
First off, I would refrain from mentioning your income to any locals, as you may be setting yourself up for trouble. Just tell them that you have enough to survive on! In Sihanoukville, you should be able to rent a nice villa, in a decent area for less that $1000 per month. A housekeeper should not cost more that $50 or $60 a month, for her to come in daily, or at least 4 times a week to clean everything. Take your time in looking for a place, talk to a lot of people! You will find that most places are not listed with any agents, but have signs posted in Khmer, with a number. This is where a helpful woman can come in really helpful, as she can contact the owner, and get all the information you need. Depending on where you end up, a car may be not worth the effort - they are expensive here, and getting around in Sihanoukville is easier on a moto. For longer trips, like up to Phnom Penh, a taxi is great, there are also vans that will take you up there for $50 one way, when you want to travel.
Feel free to ask me any more questions!

mm

1000$ dollars a month is an aweful lot when the median income is less than $400....?

Or was that a mistype? The first thing i want to do is rent for a month short term to see if its a good fit living there. As i read other post Im like you. The seashore and small community is my first choice. So hopefully in the next few days I can get there and check it out. I am not a bar type. Dont drink..never did...lol So hopefully that can ad to my safety. I dont plan on sharing too much info with locals. Only what I have to.

Im more of a scooter guy since being here in the Philippines i have learned to love their mobile flexibility.

When I have my itinerary set in stone I will inbox it to you that way we can connect soon...that goes for anyone else who care to share info with me and maybe we can share a lunch. Im open to making new friends.

Thx a million Maxx

When I was estimating $1000 per month, I was talking about a REALLY upscale home, in the best areas of Phnom Penh. Here in Snooky, $600 will get you a near-palace, with 4-6 bedrooms, far more than you may ever need. I pay $270 a month, for a 3 bedroom, 4 bath, shophouse. 2 stories, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths upstairs, 1 bedroom and 2 baths down. Its more than I wanted, but when I started looking, I was supposed to share it with a guy from Thailand, who reneged on the deal. Its still 1 more bedroom than I need. Being near the beach, you will pay a bit more, but worth it. Best bet is to rent a room in a guest house by the month, and take your time to look around. Good to avoid the bars, as the taxi girls are not what you want. Once the local find out you want to stay, and don't have a woman, they will find you!
Motos can be rented here for as little as $6 a day, and there are plenty to be found used. Most guest houses and hotels will also rent motos. Enjoy your stay here! When you get settled, or near to coming down, I can recommend a place or 2. From July on, the rates are lower, as well.

mm

I can think of worse gifts. Be happy. :)

For all my friends! I am still here, not dead, and Chroeb and I are still together. Married 8 months now, and we are settling in nicely. I have been slowly turning this post into a book and I am near completion of my first pass at editing/rewriting. If anyone out there has experience with book cover art, or formatting a book, please let me know. Right now, the blogs/postings have been divided into chapters, with each chapter as a separate file. Some self-publishing companies like Lulu prefer this. Once I  am done with the first formatting and editing, I will re-integrate it into a format acceptable to Amazon's Kindle. I am thinking now that it should be ready for release near the end of this year.
Wish me luck!

Good luck Max, glad to hear it's all still going well.

Bit of a setback here as I had a heart attack and surgery a couple of weeks back, more surgery to come but should be ready to travel early September back to Egypt and then hitting Cambodia around March/April next year.

Marriage is still as perfect as ever at this end also :D

LC

Entered this post very late, enjoyed reading. Some quick comments.
I met my wife 11 years ago, somewhat similar circumstances, so many similarities.
One big difference is we decided that me being proficient in Khmer was more important than her speaking English, when I arrived not many people spoke English in town. Now 11years later we only speak Khmer to each other and I really enjoy being engaged in local conversation.

The earlier comment about women using us foreigners is very true there are hundreds of horror stories out there, be aware and never ever expect to meet a good women in a bar.

There are wonderful women available. My wife is 38 and has friends that could be considered as "pre vetted" so if there are any REALLY honest and decent men seeking a partner who is 40ish drop me a line. Be prepared, they will not be English proficient,  probably never had a boyfriend before (hope you understand all the implications), but will have all the attributes that we have enjoyed reading in this post.

I am glad to hear of at least one other man who has had a similar situation. I have been through the bar scene for many years, and know all about the parasites that work at them. Darn few honest women there! They  best I have done was to meet some "Free-lance" girls in Bangkok and Patttaya. That was in the distant past now. Chroeb and I have been married for 8 1/2 months, and things are going well. She continues to improve her English, and I think that is best for her.
Siem Reap is a nice city, but very full of tourist! We may  go  back there sometime, but right now, we are preparing for Chroeb to spend 10 days in Srey Veng visiting her family. Next year we may go to Malaysia!

Malaysia has great program " Malaysia My Second Home".  It very easy to apply and a government official will help you every step, great program, can look on line about details.
We applied and were given residency visa but never actually moved.  My wife wants to work which I encourage as it provides her a social network which she would not have at home with me.  The Malaysia program does not allow a work visa under the program and so we dropped it.
If SV continues to deteriorate we may reapply.

Do you speak Khmer? 
My wife to this day understands almost no English but I have benefitted so much learning a new culture (good and bad) which would be much more difficult without the language skills.

its low season now.not a lot of tourists in siem reap.or they the backpackers or chinese and korean.for the rest irs very calm.i am about 8 months here now,and about 7 months with my gf.they dont really go with tourists so the first month i stuck to freelancers here.but obce they know you really live here they all want to live with you.lol.thats funny.

On the rewrite of the last chapter. I will be looking for someone to edit these 21 chapters, so if you know how to edit documents such as this, please let me know, so I can send it to you! I also need someone who can design a cover for the book, and help with photo images (selection and placement).  Thank you all for your support in this journey!

Hi Mad max I will be flying out to Sihanouk in about 2 weeks from my home in Siem Reap for some R&R with my Khmer wife. Lets meet for a beverage.

Give me a call when you get in. Where are you staying?

mm

real name, Art

Dear Art,
You are looking for someone who can design a cover for the book, and help with photo images?
I have France boyfriend and he is good in it so if you not yet find anyone who do this job yet, can we chat more and i will tell him about this?

Thank you
Kim an lay

Hi Kim:

Well, actually I'm not into ebooks or anything that's particularly graphic-intensive.  But thanks for asking.

I do have some other internet marketing interests that I'm pursuing as I have time though so  if you and/or him
would like to connect with me on Skye, I'll keep you in mind. 

My skype ID is 'atwill4'.

Regards,
art williams
www.wanderingsalsero.comwww.scoop.it/wanderingsalsero
about.me/art

wanderingsalsero, I think Kim mean that for Mad Max ;)

OK...thanks.  I wish I knew how to get out of this thread :-)

art

Oh sorry Art, I confuse.
Yes actually i want to say to Mad Max.

By the way i am a website developer and my boyfriend is a graphic designer and also a photographer.
So not sure we can help u relate to the internet marketing u are talking about or not?
Could u tell me detail about it?

Thank you
Kim an

wanderingsalsero,

in the email that you get to tell you that there's a reply on this thread, there's a link at the bottom to manage your subscriptions, you could try clicking on that?

For Kimanlay
Thanks for the posting! I was getting confused with the other "Art"! I do have a friend who will draw up a cover for me. He has been doing sketches all around Asia for a few years, and Is very talented.
I do, however, have a need for someone who can help with a web-site. I will message you, and maybe we can work something out.

What an inspiring story madmax.   I just found and finished reading the entire thread, amazing story.   I hope both of you are still happy and doing well.   It seems you have found a perfect relationship, and there are too few of those.   Have you finished your book?   Have you started the second one you mentioned?  Would love to read them when you get them finished.   Again, all the best to both of you.

Hi, Im from the US. I live with and take care of a Cambodian family of 4,  a dad and mom and 2 kids for about a year now.  We live near the airport.  Maybe you and chai would like to come for lunch.  I think it would be fun, [email protected]  Regards Lawrance

To Lawrance, I must assume that you live near the Phnom Penh airport, as there is not much housing near the Sihanoukville Airport! We live here in Snooky, by the beach. If you get down this way, drop me a line, and we can have lunch here! I don't get to PP very much, I don't like big cities, and I really hate the long drive up to PP!

Hi , very nice to hear from you.  We just came back from Snooky ville but will come down again sometime.  I will need your phone number.  We just had an Aussie dad and Thai mom and their son stay with us.  They got their Pass Ports and money ripped in Siem Reip.  They had to come to Phnom Phen to get new PPs and money and stayed with us for a while. If your coming up this way we have a spare bedroom.  Sam my stepson is a tuk tuk driver.  His english is better than most. I am trying to help him get work so if you know anyone coming this way perhaps you would think of him. Sam found the aussie family that stayed with us .  He has contacts all over Cambodia and net works very well. So his contacts in Siem Reip allerted him about the Aussie family and he picked them up at the bus stop. I dont know what they would have done with no money In Phnom Phen.  I hated the drive to Snookyville too mostly because our driver was tailgating constantly all the way.  I adore my new family.  We are looking for some land or a house to buy in your area.  Do you know much about the real estate there. Looking forward to meeting you and yours.  regards Lawrance Franks

I have not had many dealings with real estate agents here, but have heard some stories about them, and the land owner, cheating foreigners, and taking many months or years to get their money back. This was a friend of mine, using another friend's wife, who was the agent. There are some good lawyers here that speak good English, that may be able to help you with the documents. He has offices in PP as well.

I continue to be amazed at the number of people reading this post thread. This is a short update on Chroeb and my life here in Sihanoukville.
In September, I financed the purchase of a Bamboo drink machine - basically, a press to squeeze out the liquid from a type of bamboo - really, sugar cane. The juice comes out green, and is quite tasty, and much more filling than I would have thought. I also purchased a chest refrigerator-freezer, for cold drinks and ice cream. Both seem to be a big favorite among the neighbors. The kids love the ice cream, which we sell for 500 riel to 1500 riel.
Her brother came down from Phnom Penh to help, and lives with us now. There is really no expense to me, as Chroeb provides food for him from the profits from her business. I did donate a few shirts and a pair of shorts, as he came down with nothing but the clothes on his back.

About 2 weeks ago, Chroeb decided to add bar-b-qued bananas to the items she sells. They are also delicious and a big seller. She sell 4 bananas on a stick for 1000 riel, and can barely keep up with the demand.
I will be taking a short 12 day trip back to the US to visit family, and attend a club function. Chroeb is afraid that I will not return to Cambodia, even though I tell her every day that I will. I guess only my return (and daily phone calls) will assure her!
The book is in the editing stage, slowed by my editors move (and his lagging :D  Lee - just joking).

Hi Madmax,
I think there will be many like me who have quietly followed your story with all of it's up's and down's over the past few years.
I am very happy for you that you persevered and surmounted all of the hurdles in your way and now have a good life with an industrious wife.

Best regards
Reg

Closed