Living Expenses in Addis Ababa

Hi
Recently i have got a job offer in Addis Ababa. The salary will be 4000USD inclusive all.
I am confused. Will be it be enough to stay in Addis Ababa and save half of it for my family in Bangladesh?

robin_911 wrote:

Hi
Recently i have got a job offer in Addis Ababa. The salary will be 4000USD inclusive all.
I am confused. Will be it be enough to stay in Addis Ababa and save half of it for my family in Bangladesh?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Please read through the posts in the category section of the forum, right hand side of this page.
Also check out www.numbeo.com for cost of living.

It depends up on your living hood.Currently your offer amounts to 80000 Ethiopian Birr.You need at least to expense at least 10,000 Et.Birr for house,i.e.relatively comfortable to foreigners.You may need also to expense at least 5000 Et.Birr for cooker & House guard,You incur also tax fee.In my opinion it will be enough in so far as supported by the residence who do have knowledge about the city market.

i think it is enough.

I am an American and have lived and worked in Ethiopia for many years. I've lived in Addis, Harar, Gondar and other cities.  I know the country well. I am currently on break for a year residing in the United States. I plan to return to Ethiopia in the next few months. To answer your question about whether you can live in Addis on US$4,000. Answer? A resounding yes depending upon lifestyle.You can live a very comfortable life as a forenji (foreigner) for much, much less. However, if you live an extravagant lifestyle- eating out all the time in nice restaurants, drinking alcoholic beverages at the night clubs, and traveling for fun around the country- you will need the US$4000/month. If you have children, you will want to put them in a private school. These schools can are expensive, but they are worth it as they have well-paid forenjis who speak English as a native language and many of them are licensed to teach in their countries back home. Other areas where Addis is a financial challenge are: a. decent housing in a nice neighborhood (A nice house in a private compound with a guard and maid.), b. automobile costs if you wish to buy a car, and c. internet/communications costs. I suggest that you ask a national co-worker to assist you in finding housing after you arrive. Stay at as hotel for a while as you get settled in the city. I recommend the Bashale Hotel in CMC or you can get expensive and stay at the Addis Hilton or Sheraton Hotel. There are Americans who can live nicely on US$800 a month, but without all the  luxuries. Also, get your green card as soon as possible. Don't rush into anything. Take your time as you make big decisions. Addis is a wonderful city.

Hi All,

Need urgent response, I have got an offer of USD 3000/p.m, we are family of 4, my wife and two kids age 3 and 1, they will be giving accommodation(furnished) along with car, can anyone suggest would this amount be enough for us to live and save. I am not into nightlife much or alcohol e.t.c, need the private school fees idea for my kids too. Please suggest asap. if you need any further info please let me know... Thank you.

khhussain26 wrote:

Hi All,

Need urgent response, I have got an offer of USD 3000/p.m, we are family of 4, my wife and two kids age 3 and 1, they will be giving accommodation(furnished) along with car, can anyone suggest would this amount be enough for us to live and save. I am not into nightlife much or alcohol e.t.c, need the private school fees idea for my kids too. Please suggest asap. if you need any further info please let me know... Thank you.

First read through the posts inn the categories section of the forum.
For further information on cost of living numbeo.com