90-Day Visa Free Stay--Multiple Trips OK?

Can you use the 90 days over multiple trips or is it 1-trip only per year?

My mom came to Ecuador a few months ago for only a couple of weeks. She wants to visit again.

If Mom can make it back to EC in the next few months, she can use the "visa" she has, to re-enter -- good for a stay of up to 90 days less the number of days she was already in Ecuador on her recently-completed trip.

You'll see why I put "visa" in quotes in a minute.

First, here is the official word from the website of Ecuador's U.S. Embassy in Washington:

"If you come to Ecuador as a tourist or on a business trip, you do not need a visa for a stay up to 90 days on a 12-month period - chronological year." (ecuador.org)

Now, from GoGo-Gringo:

"Foreign guests entering Ecuador receive a 90-day T3 tourist stamp upon entry.  This is not a visa, it is simply a stamp in your passport.  (This) stamp is valid through a 365-day period regardless how often you leave and return to Ecuador."
(gogo-gringo.com)

The EC Embassy notes that this tourist stamp is not available for visitors from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia and the People's Republic of China.  Special rules for Cubans may apply.

cccmedia in Quito

What you can´t do in Ecuador is border hop when your 90 days are up like people do in most Asian countries. When I was in Korea I used to take a trip to Japan and back every 90 days to get a new stamp and another 90 days. This is not allowed in Ecuador.

On my last two trips into Ecuador I discovered that it is possible to enter through the Quito airport even if your visa is invalid and you don't have a cedula. I invalidated my visa by spending too much time outside Ecuador during the first 2 year period. Because of a new baby and family emergencies I attempted to enter the country when I knew full well I was breaking the rules and might get refused entry. Both times a smile and a 'por favor' worked. I wouldn't recommend this, but it's good to know it is possible in some situations.