Internet

Hi,
I'm moving to Bucharest next month, What is the internet like in Sector 1?

I work from home and need a good connection all day and a minimum of 20 meg download.

Thanks for the info

James

Hi James,

I have ADSL from RomTelecom. It's nominally a 20Mbsp download connection. I've just done a test on speedtest and got:

Ping: 25ms, Download speed: 13.83Mbps, Upload speed: 0.82Mbps

There are other options. You can get 'net through optical fibre from one of the cable TV companies (RDS and UPC). I've heard varying reports about their quality and reliability, but I believe, when working, you can get up to 100Mbps (nominally) plus very fast upload speeds.

There are also smaller local companies who serve a particular neighbourhood. I used to have a connection with one of them. When it worked, it was super fast, but there was too much down time. You'd call the 'engineer' and he'd be away for the weekend so wouldn't do anything till Monday afternoon at the earliest, stuff like that. It the end the amount of downtime was just ridiculous so I closed it and upgraded my ADSL line. RomTel's ADSL isn't the fastest, but it's consistent. Maybe once a year some roadworkers manage to damage the cable and there's some downtime, but aside from that, it's always working, which is more important to me than exceptionally high speeds.

We use RDS at home, i have just done a speedtest too and these are our results.

Ping 15ms - download speed, 39.81mbps - upload speed, 49.15mbps

We live in sector 5 of Bucharest, and have never had any problems with RDS at all, no problems with the speed or downtime.

Anyway, its a much better service than the one i had from Virgin in the UK.

UPC is supposedly offering 200 mbps in Bucuresti and other larger cities.

Thanks for all the information. :)

Hello my friend.question how much are you paying per month for that speed.
i am moving to brasov in the spring. the carrier here in toronto gives me 300 gigs per month donload for 45.00 bucks