Telecommunting/Virutual Positions Which Can be worked from North Coast

I've been looking for online/telecommuting positions and I found 1 really good, certified website called flexjobs.com.  You do have to pay for it, but they are real pros and I don't have any vested interest in referring them.

This site seems to be one of the better websites for finding telecommuting/virtual jobs, but most of them need for you to live in the US.  I'm looking for a telecommuting job where I can live in Sosua/Cabreate and I'd like to get started in the next few months.

Does anyone know of another website or referral source for landing a telecommuting position, while live on the North Coast?

Maybe we can all help each other!!

Best Regards,

JD

Those are tough to find as everyone wants to do it these days!   They are few and far between and you just have to be tenacious about looking!

JD if you use a VPN to hide your IP address or use an IP provider with an American address then they will not know where you are on the planet......but you beat me to the question......a very good one I was planning on posting something similar.....I will wait and see what responses you get, before I post my version.

Check this link JD.   http://www.thegadgitech.com

ratracerebellion.com

You have many options for "hiding" your location.  I have been working from the DR for 9 years, the last 6 of them on the north coast.  My customers would freak out if they knew I was not in the U.S.  I have to connect to my customer's VPNs on a daily basis and they look at their firewall logs.  So I have to "hide" my IP address.

1. Delancer does it for me.  No worries.  The high speed connection from Delancer shows your public IP as an address from Columbus Networks in Miami.  It is how they get their link to the U.S. and then the rest of the world and the trace ends there.

2. You could proxy through one of many web proxy sites that hide your original location but I wouldn't recommend that if the job you get is with a good IT savy company.  They will likely find the proxy site/IP on a blacklist somewhere.

3. You could lease a computer at a data center in the U.S.  You would connect to that computer and do your work from there.  You have to pay for it but if the job is good it is worth it.  Companies like 1&1 that host our business website offer this.  There are several others besides them that do it for a fairly low price.  This may not work if you have to be on a single-tunnel VPN for your work.

4. If you have any friends/family in the States get them to set up a computer for you that you can connect to remotely.  This also may not work if you have to be on a single-tunnel VPN for your work. 

For options 3 & 4 I have found that GoToMyPC (you do have to pay for it) works better than the traditional tools like RDP, VNC, etc if you have to be on single-tunnel VPNs.  It will boot you once you start the VPN but a few seconds later you'll be able to reconnect.  Also, be aware that most single-tunnel VPNs are a joke, including the high-end ones.  All they do is change your default route when you connect.  So you could have a script that connects the vpn and then resets your default route and then you'd be able to reconnect with RDP or anything. 

The next question you may have is how to hide your phone so you don't have to have a cell phone that you pay a ton of roaming and international rates on.  I have used both Vonage and Skype and you can get U.S. numbers with them.  I have tried Magic Jack as well.  I found the quality of calls to be better with Vonage so that is my preference but it requires you to have one of their devices.  I have been using Skype more recently and I do notice a bit of a drop off from Vonage but it is still better than Magic Jack for me.  But some other people I know swear by Magic Jack.  I don't know, I have a very high end computer with no resource issues and I think Magic Jack is horrible compared to Skype or Vonage. 

If you have specific concerns about "appearing" like you are in the U.S. and how to do some things let me know.  I'll be glad to help.  I've been doing this for years.  I even have a mail forwarding service in the U.S. that will scan mail for me so I can read it online.  That is nice so I don't have to have everything forwarded through EPS since you have to pay for everything that is forwarded.  Scans are cheap.

What scanning company do you used fir mail?

All this is beyond my ken!  I'm just looking for a way to earn a couple of 100 a month without gov. interference.  Having a low monthly income a 100 0r 2 Us would really be of benefit.  Where do I look & how much will it be?  maybe I'm in the wrong place to ask this, let me know if you  can help.  Thanks for any info.

I have been with Mail Link Plus from Las Vegas for years.  Recently the scan rates have doubled, but I still think it is a good deal.  You can probably find cheaper though.  There are so many out here on the web.  They just receive mail for you and store it and scan it and if you want they forward it to whatever address you want.  Their service has been great so I've stuck with them even though their scan rates have increased.  Honestly I don't forward much these days and I hardly even scan anything.  I usually know what it is and I usually know I don't want it.  I also like them because they are in NV so I use that address as my home of record and don't have to pay state income tax.

Why would you have to hide the fact you work from the DR? Americans can't handle knowing someone doesn't live in the land of the free? :)

Its a reality.  Many American businesses have concerns of having telecommute employees in the first place.  In my field it is allowed by some businesses because they can't find good, well-trained employees in their locations.  Once they decide to allow telecommute they still have a lot of reservations.  Some of those reservations are compounded by distance and especially if you are out of the country.  The internet connection from the DR back to the US is unstable and not very fast.  Phone communication goes in the same bucket.  Travel for the few times you might be required on site is a concern as well.  These problems can be solved and those who live here like me have solved them but it doesn't put the mind of the business at ease.  Its not like the DR is a known workforce for US telecommute jobs.  India has established itself as such but many businesses have grown sick of Indian support.  I actually said I lived overseas on my tax returns for the first time last year.  I still don't tell any of my customers that I do.

cjp2010 wrote:

I have been with Mail Link Plus from Las Vegas for years.  Recently the scan rates have doubled, but I still think it is a good deal.  You can probably find cheaper though.

How much are their scan rates? I couldn't tell off their web site

Its $1 per page.  You can choose how many pages you want scanned.  Usually I just scan the first page.  That is enough to give me an idea of if I want it forwarded or thrown out or can take action based on what was scanned (e.g. if I need to call someone or something).  Sometimes I may need to get more scanned and I can just ask them to scan the rest and they will.  I think $1 is probably pretty high compared to some others but their yearly box rentals are cheap, their forwarding service is great and they are always very responsive so I don't want to switch.