Comingdown next week to check it out.

Hi My wife and I are coming down next week, staying in Cabarete for 2 weeks. This will be to explore the area before we move permanently. I have been in touch with a real estate agent to help us in that respect. Is there any other professionals I should meet with to help make the move smoother? Also we would like to meet anyone in the area for drinks & just talk about the in's & out's of living there full time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bill

Let us know how your trip goes, my wife and are wanting to make the same visit. Everything we see and hear makes us want to move there. Also the realtor that you are dealing with and how that goes.
Thanks

Welcome chief!!!  You are most likely going to want to pick Bob's brain, he will show up shortly I am sure....  He lives in that area and can give you lots of information. I suggest you read as much of the forums as you can that apply to you and then come back with some questions for us!!!  We are here to help whenever we can.

I'll be happy to let you know what we find out

Thanks planner. Just logged in this morning & have been reading all that seem relevant. Can't wait to get down there next week.

Chief welcome.  Sorry did not respond sooner but took a weekend off to go to the mountains.   Great time.

I certainly will answer any questions you have.  My wife and I moved to the Sosua/Cabarete area going in 9 years ago nad have not looked back for a second.

Let me know when you get to town and we can talk

Bob K

Thanks Bob. We get in on the 29th, I'll get back to you on Mon or Tues after that & we can set something up.

Sounds good. Where are you staying

Bob

Hi Bob were staying at a condo next to theHotel Celusima in Cabarete East

You know you are going to be a bit isolated out there.  Also I would not recommend walking around the neighborhood after dark

Bob K

Thanks for the heads up. That's why we're coming down to find the good areas to settle in.

Ok as long as you are aware.

Talk to you when you get here.

Bob K

Bob this kind of information is invaluable!!!! I know you offer this type of info to save people grief, I am the same.

We try to help by keeping it very real, the good with the bad.....

Rose colored glasses are for sunbathing ONLY :D:D:D:D:D

Bob K

Hi Bob
Bill & Peggy here. Enjoying the island. We checked out Puerta Plata yesterday. Don't think we want to settle there. Were going down to check out the south coast today & tomorrow. We were wondering if you would like to meet us some time after that so we can pick your brain. Thanks again for all the good info so far.
Bill & Peggy

I will be around for the next week then off to the US for a couple of weeks.

I hope you only ruled out Puerto Plata and not Sosua and Cabarete

Bob K

If you are coming to south coast  let me know!!!!  I am in La Romana now!

Hi Bob we just got back from Bavaro spent a couple days down there checking it out. We haven't ruled out Sousa or Cabarete. We actually like it here. Would you like to meet Saturday afternoon? just let me know your favorite watering hole & we can meet you there. Thanks again.
Bill

Hi Planner. I'm a day late. We were down there the last 3 days. We would have liked to meet you. But I'll take a rain check for the next time.
Bill & Peggy

You betcha Bill and Peggy!!!

Actually may have some time later today but not sure yet.  You can give me a call around noon or so
I will PM you my phone

Bob K

Great meeting with you guys.  Good luck and let me know if I can help in anyway.

Don't forget the Jazz festival on the beach in Cabarete next Saturday night.  HUGE party and great music

Bob K

good reminder Bob..... jazz festival is awesome....

Yes too bad I will miss it this year as I am heading back to New Jersey to help my mom for a couple of weeks.

Bob K

On our way Feb 1st, found a place, last minute availability. So excited to get to Sosua, just to relax and unwind. We are leaving our three autistic children at home and are hoping that this trip will give us a good brain drain.
Just wondering if anyone has a reliable realtor that they can suggest to us. We would like to get an idea of what is offered in the DR.
If anyone is in for a coffee/lunch date, we would enjoy meeting up for a chat to get the real picture of what we are looking at.  Bob you mentioned earlier in the post (chief61) that one should not walk at night, would you suggest the same for Sosua?? We are staying at the Blue Garden until the 10th.

Walking from the blue garden is fine during the day.  At night I might take a cab.

Bob K

We will definitely meet up with you guys..Maybe take you out for a little road trip to see something besides Sosua!!
Talk soon!!

We can always pick you guys up and bring you up here..see what living here is like!! Will message you with our phone #s if you are interested!

Katiejay I have forgotten where on the north coast are you?

Bob K

Hi Bob..
  How is (re) retirement..or have you found another job?? Hope all is well with you and family..We are enjoying life here in Star Hills and try to make our trips back to Canada in warmer temps! ..Great bunch of residents here..although not much help with my Spanish as most speak English!!
We have moved ..but not far,lucked into another rental in Star Hills.
  Take care..Kathy
PS.. We will finally get our Residency/Cedula next month!! Has been a long process.

Its a very long process.  When did you start????

All good here and good news on the residency.

Glad you are enjoying being here. 

Not looking for and don't want a job right now

Bob K

Long story short..first trip to Santo Domingo was Sept 8th..2013!! Migration changed some rules mid-process so we had to get a new Criminal Records Check from Canada(RCMP) ..So our final application was actually submitted complete on Sept 7th 2014!!! 1 day more and we may have had to start the process all over again!!!

Wow quite the story!

Always a bump in the road :D

Congrats on sticking with it and getting it done

Bob K