February Holidays - the 4 day weekend

Dear all :D

happy 2015 to each and every one of you! hope you are all holding steadfast with your resolutions! I know i am, to an extent :P

anyhoo, just wanted to let everyone know (who didnt know already) that the February break for non-teachers will be GOOD! 25 & 26th of Feb are public holidays, national and liberation days, which translates to a CROWDED gulf road and plenty of shenanigans with everyone and their uncle running with a water gun spraying water at hapless strangers.

if you can, get out and enjoy the LONG WEEKEND!

yes, that is correct, 25 & 26 Feb fall on wednesday and thursday respectively, meaning you can get yourself a nice 4 day weekend.

i am taking my wife and heading to Istanbul.

ofcourse when i got the tickets (last year, around Sept or Oct) it cost me, 215KD!! Flights AND Hotels! yep, god bless expedia offers!

so hurry up and set something up, pronto!

We are going to do another attempt at that road trip to Bahrain.

Bahrain is NICE, much better than QATAR, the SOB's refuse to let me get visa on arrival even tho my title is "Vice President of Dept", and their "List" includes "Presidents - all types", however vice-president apparently is not a president :S

sorry, venting.

I am not sure which border is closer to the airport area when flying in to Kuwait, Iraq or Saudi, but there were some beautiful oases from up top, visible down below.

Bahrain is enjoyable, its small, you can drive around the whole country in an hour, but its nice.

Dubai

Seriously what's up with the water gun spraying here?!  :unsure

I am SO GLAD you asked Tina :D

it started like this; see earlier the young hooligans were using the canned foam, spraying that on people, which was a real B*TCH to wash off of cars, and it resulted in acts of violence whereby the devils would forcibly open drivers car doors and "foam 'em", so the govt. banned importing the foam (silly string too). in one case a group of girls used hair remover in lieu of foam, it was terrible.

so the people decided, lets spray water instead. and it turned into a fiasco of water gun fights.

i dont get it tho, see i ran the gulf road twice during these "festivities", from Marina to souq sharq and back (25K for feb 25th), and i see cops holding guns in certain occasions, confiscated. what for? i never got it.

also, i was almost arrested last february for apparently dressing provocatively, hence i am making sure to steer clear of kuwait this year!  you can read up about the whole ordeal (here) :P

legacy wrote:

Bahrain is NICE, much better than QATAR, the SOB's refuse to let me get visa on arrival even tho my title is "Vice President of Dept", and their "List" includes "Presidents - all types", however vice-president apparently is not a president :S

sorry, venting.

I am not sure which border is closer to the airport area when flying in to Kuwait, Iraq or Saudi, but there were some beautiful oases from up top, visible down below.

Bahrain is enjoyable, its small, you can drive around the whole country in an hour, but its nice.

Luckily I got no problems getting in any of the Gulf states apart from KSA and of course Kuwait. Oh well. :-/

The Saudi transit visa was done in late December and we probably won't be using it until it expires. I wonder if it is possible to extend it if not used or do I have to get a new one made (and pay for it again)? Problem is, I will run out of pages in my passport.

Another thing, we thought we might do a day trip to KSA (even my wife wants to do it, I guess we are the only couple who are actually willing to do it without having to :)) but I am not sure if KSA authorities would frown upon the fact that we are using transit visa for a quick visit and not for, well, transit. Unless we convince them we are transiting from Kuwait back to Kuwait. Any opinion on this?

dubai