New Immigration Laws

Vagabondone wrote:

Khanh44....I understand. You see it as being able to leave and re-enter w/o having to get a visa. Whereas I think most of us see it as not having to make a border run endlessly. That is we can stay in the country and not leave. Heck if I were wanting to leave every 90 days perhaps getting a new visa each time would not be so bad. But in truth I think it really just provides us with exemption from making border runs.

I re-read your posting and noticed where I mis-read it. I understand now what you mean.  my fault.

I'll be leaving Vietnam this March and coming back before July for the birth of my child. I'm hoping there won't be issues using my VEC to enter Vietnam.

If what I was told by my immigration office yesterday is true you should have no problem. From what tgey say your VEC will be valud and stay just as it is until it expires. Then you too will come under the new rules. Heck by then no doubt the rules will have changed many times as often as they change tgem here.

KathyBrown1410 wrote:

now, VEC allows you to stay in Vietnam for 6 months/ each entry. but you cannot extend the staying time as before.

Please separate these two things. VEC and Visa are different.

VEC is an exemption from Visa for a period of 90 days, it is not a Visa, so it will cannot allow a foreigner to stay for 6 months.

I understand your meaning is that the VEC holders which are spouse or children of Vietnamese now can apply for a Visa for 6 months but cannot extend this Visa.

The question is that can "spouse or children of Vietnamese" choose between holding their VEC or applying for a Visa under the new Law? Or they have to apply for a Visa under the new Law?

Since there is no regulation to deny the VEC's valid until now and even the new Immigration Law states that "spouse or children of Vietnamese" can be exempted from Visa as prescribed by the Government, I still hope that immigration bodies will allow "spouse or children of Vietnamese" to choose which type of residence they want, VEC or Visa.

Maybe at this moment they say that VEC will not be applied anymore. But let see if its change. You all may know that Vietnamese official's guidance always change through times and even through different officials in the same time.

VanKhanh Ho wrote:
KathyBrown1410 wrote:

now, VEC allows you to stay in Vietnam for 6 months/ each entry. but you cannot extend the staying time as before.

VEC is an exemption from Visa for a period of 90 days, it is not a Visa, so it will cannot allow a foreigner to stay for 6 months.

I understand your meaning is that the VEC holders which are spouse or children of Vietnamese now can apply for a Visa for 6 months but cannot extend this Visa.

The question is that can "spouse or children of Vietnamese" choose between holding their VEC or applying for a Visa under the new Law? Or they have to apply for a Visa under the new Law?

Since there is no regulation to deny the VEC's valid until now and even the new Immigration Law states that "spouse or children of Vietnamese" can be exempted from Visa as prescribed by the Government, I still hope that immigration bodies will allow "spouse or children of Vietnamese" to choose which type of residence they want, VEC or Visa.

Maybe at this moment they say that VEC will not be applied anymore. But let see if its change. You all may know that Vietnamese official's guidance always change through times and even through different officials in the same time.

Great explanation. VEC is not visa but an excemption to not requiring a visa to enter Vietnam.

Thanks you have made me realize I have been wrong all this time calling it a 5-year visa when in fact a visa is not required.I just assumed visiting any country a visa is a must requirement but seeing as some countries don't require visas it makes sense now.

DanFromSF wrote:
VungTauDon wrote:

You can get a business visa on arrival very easily using such companies as myvietnamvisa. Getting a work permit transitioned from a B3 may be quicker than doing it by a normal tourist visa.

It looks like the January 2015 changes in the law are going to do away with the ability to change visa type in-country.  Details are still sketchy now, until the new rules are put in place.

The good news is they're adding several new categories that sound interesting.  For example, there will be a "Foreign Worker" category with a validity up to 12 months, and TRC up to 2 years.  What's a "Foreign Worker"?  I don't know.

Also, "Student/Interns" category, up to 12 months visa, and TRC up to 5 years.  Does attending Vietnamese language classes qualify one as a student?  What's the definition of an Intern?  Can a foreigner work (for free) part-time for a Vietnamese company, coaching them on their English, and be sponsored as an Intern?

It seems to me the change in the laws are meant to be pro-business more than anti-foreigner. Could be interesting.

I hard from an English teacher in Thailand, Russians enroll in English schools, to get around the Visa rules there, ( of course they have little desire to actually learn English though ).

Thanks VanKhanh, once again a sensible answer from someone who actually knows what goes on in this place.

VanKhanh Ho wrote:
KathyBrown1410 wrote:

Actually the TT category visa is for a duration of 12 months. The immigration officer seems to think that this will not be embodied in a VEC form, but a stand alone visa. However, if you have a valid VEC now under the old rules it will remain valid until it expires. Once it expires you will then get a TT category visa good for 12 months. Yet we probably need to wait and see how this all shakes out. If you read the new rules, never is VEC mentioned though. So it does appear the VEC will be going away.

Vagabondone wrote:

Actually the TT category visa is for a duration of 12 months. The immigration officer seems to think that this will not be embodied in a VEC form, but a stand alone visa. However, if you have a valid VEC now under the old rules it will remain valid until it expires. Once it expires you will then get a TT category visa good for 12 months. Yet we probably need to wait and see how this all shakes out. If you read the new rules, never is VEC mentioned though. So it does appear the VEC will be going away.

Yep I also think Visa for Vietnamese's spouse should be granted for 12 months. But some immigration officials are still giving guidance that it should be 6 moths now.

Article 12.5 of the new law still recognise the exemption of Visa for Vietnamese's spouse or children. I assume form of that exemption is VEC so that means VEC still valid according to the new law. 

Wonder if the immigration authority may think like me. And if not, why?

VanKhanh Ho wrote:
Vagabondone wrote:

Yep I also think Visa for Vietnamese's spouse should be granted for 12 months. But some immigration officials are still giving guidance that it should be 6 moths now.

Article 12.5 of the new law still recognise the exemption of Visa for Vietnamese's spouse or children. I assume form of that exemption is VEC so that means VEC still valid according to the new law. 

Sorry, I stand corrected on the VEC issue as you pointed out in Art 12.5. Well that will be great. I was told the 12 month TT category visa will now cost $105.00. If the TT is embedded in the VEC is it correct to assume, I wonder, if we will only have to pay a fee every 12 months. Instead of the every 90 days we do now for a period of up to 5 years.
Wonder if the immigration authority may think like me. And if not, why?

Despite the inconvenience of 90 days I prefer the VEC more than a 1 year visa.

With the VEC worst case scenario I can make a border run to remain in Vietnam. With a 1 year visa there is no condition to satisfy and they may deny you a visa just because you didn't grease their palms enough. Than you have no alternative but to leave the country.

I just received my new VEC (second) and there have been no changes made  to it. It's exactly the same as the ones they issued before 2015 (permitted to remain 90 days).

I was told that you can still extend the stay for US$ 10 to get another 90 days, no need to exit the country. But you all better go and check with the local immigration on that one.

snake77 wrote:

I just received my new VEC (second) and there have been no changes made  to it. It's exactly the same as the ones they issued before 2015 (permitted to remain 90 days).

I was told that you can still extend the stay for US$ 10 to get another 90 days, no need to exit the country. But you all better go and check with the local immigration on that one.

So you are saying your OLD VEC EXPIRED, and you paid the new application fee for a NEW VEC, is it still the same price? I have a friend who's VEC expires in 3 months.

bluenz wrote:

So you are saying your OLD VEC EXPIRED, and you paid the new application fee for a NEW VEC, is it still the same price? I have a friend who's VEC expires in 3 months.

Yes, correct, my old VEC expired and I applied for a new one. If you renew at the place where the first one was issued you pay USD$10, if you're applying at a different immigration or embassy, it is USD$ 20. It took just over a week to get it done and as I said, it is exactly the same/identical with the old one.

Nam_ wrote:
mrvranic wrote:

...Vietnam's National Assembly revamped the Vietnam immigration system by...setting new entry and exit bans.

'exit bans'?

If you do not have a valid visa on your day of leaving you will be fined. If you have no ready cash you have a choice of jail or a 15-day visa or deportation.

I know as I was one day late (overstay) and had to pay a fine or go to jail or a 15-day visa. Fortunately a call to a 'friend' in security police caused him to have a 'chat' with the immigration type at the airport. Then I could leave.

Hm... my 90 days stay on VEC is coming to an end. Do you know how to extend my stay after 90 days without leaving the country? Is it possible?

I'm letting my employer handle my tourist ——> work transition.  I asked if I'd have to leave and come back.  They don't know.  They're taking the attitude that they're not going to ask.  They have a lot of pull in immigration and have gotten waivers and extensions that the immigration authorities had denied the actual applicants.

I can think of worse fates than a three day break from work.

I renewed my three-month less than a month ago.  Annoying I couldn't start the work visa before paying, but it has been approved and regular renewal is presumed with a work visa, not the awkward fiction it's always been being in VN on a tourist visa....

... for twenty five years

Yes it is possible without having to leave the country.

1) hand form to local cong an to get stamped

2) take form to immigration office and wait for them to approve you for 90 more days. Pay $10 USD.

3) Fill out another form and your passport and bring to cong an notifying them you will be staying another 30 days.

I'll confirm what the exact name of forms I used in the morning or if someone knows off hand that would be helpful.

Budman1 wrote:

I'm going to paste this link in this current thread to keep it simple:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/vi … 36949.html

There's a few interesting points in the article. Two of which for me is the information on the VEC going from 3 months to 6 months. Can't be sure if that's the extendable  period of just the original issue period. The other point is the approving authority for PRC's now and the TRC's increasing in some cases from 2 to 5 years. I'll find out for sure about the VEC's on the 12th of this month when we take ours to immigration for our next renewal.

Wish I could find the whole thing from the proponent Ministry in English. Not bits and pieces like the above news article or what the visa sellers have on their websites.

Rick

This is interesting and I wonder how it will be granted  ''The law will also grant the Minister of Public Security the authority to approve permanent residency for foreigners''.

''The law will also grant the Minister of Public Security the authority to approve permanent residency for foreigners''.
   This must be a really good job, apparently he does nothing.

Wish I could find the whole thing from the proponent Ministry in English. Not bits and pieces like the above news article or what the visa sellers have on their websites.

Rick   http://www.ey.com/GL/en/Services/Tax/Hu … -from-2015       Hope this helps   :)  contact them

MarkinNam wrote:

Rick   http://www.ey.com/GL/en/Services/Tax/Hu … -from-2015       Hope this helps   :)  contact them

" Visas and temporary residence cards which are issued before the effective date of the Immigration Law are valid until their expiry date. ".
    And then what is going to happen??????  No worries for me, I'll have my PR by then, been waiting 3 years now, surely it will be through in another 2 years when my VEC expires, LOL.

bluenz wrote:
MarkinNam wrote:

" Visas and temporary residence cards which are issued before the effective date of the Immigration Law are valid until their expiry date. ".
    And then what is going to happen??????  No worries for me, I'll have my PR by then, been waiting 3 years now, surely it will be through in another 2 years when my VEC expires, LOL.

In relation to married expats it seems pretty clear , once your VEC runs out and they have the new visa's to give no more VEC's will be issued, instead you will apply for a TT visa which is a 12 month maximum visa.
No idea of course how long it will take to implement this change over but it could easily be a year or could be next month, and as of yet there is no info on how you will renew the TT visa but I suspect its just a trip to immigration.

" In relation to married expats it seems pretty clear , once your VEC runs out and they have the new visa's to give no more VEC's will be issued, instead you will apply for a TT visa which is a 12 month maximum visa.
No idea of course how long it will take to implement this change over but it could easily be a year or could be next month, and as of yet there is no info on how you will renew the TT visa but I suspect its just a trip to immigration "
  AS clear as mud.This is VN, it could change tomorrow.
    Some of us have several years to run on our VEC's, by then who knows what the idiots in immigration will come up with?  they might have even pulled their heads out of their a&%$es and realise the potential for Retirement Visa's in VN, this country is missing out in $mils in revenue from us and future retiree's.
  There was a member on here who said he had a new  VEC last month, I asked him if he had just renewed it , or re applied, he said he had re applied, no problem, but many are saying it's not possible anymore??? I have another friend up here who has to re apply for his VEC next month, I guess I definitely know for sure when he does, ( or doesn't? ).

bluenz wrote:

" In relation to married expats it seems pretty clear , once your VEC runs out and they have the new visa's to give no more VEC's will be issued, instead you will apply for a TT visa which is a 12 month maximum visa.
No idea of course how long it will take to implement this change over but it could easily be a year or could be next month, and as of yet there is no info on how you will renew the TT visa but I suspect its just a trip to immigration "
  AS clear as mud.This is VN, it could change tomorrow.
    Some of us have several years to run on our VEC's, by then who knows what the idiots in immigration will come up with?  they might have even pulled their heads out of their a&%$es and realise the potential for Retirement Visa's in VN, this country is missing out in $mils in revenue from us and future retiree's.
  There was a member on here who said he had a new  VEC last month, I asked him if he had just renewed it , or re applied, he said he had re applied, no problem, but many are saying it's not possible anymore??? I have another friend up here who has to re apply for his VEC next month, I guess I definitely know for sure when he does, ( or doesn't? ).

I think anyone applying or re-newing now will get a VEC, seems they have passed the law but cant enforce the change to the 12 month TT visa's till they actually have them, and that could be months away or could be tomorrow.

" I think anyone applying or re-newing now will get a VEC, seems they have passed the law but cant enforce the change to the 12 month TT visa's till they actually have them, and that could be months away or could be tomorrow. "

Of course we can renew an unexpired VEC, that it one thing that is definitely clear in the new law, but imagine the uproar if they immediately stopped renewing VEC, ( which have a lawful expiry date on them ), , we would be leaving in droves. OR have a class action against the VN Govt?

bluenz wrote:

" I think anyone applying or re-newing now will get a VEC, seems they have passed the law but cant enforce the change to the 12 month TT visa's till they actually have them, and that could be months away or could be tomorrow. "

Of course we can renew an unexpired VEC, that it one thing that is definitely clear in the new law, but imagine the uproar if they immediately stopped renewing VEC, ( which have a lawful expiry date on them ), , we would be leaving in droves. OR have a class action against the VN Govt?

My wording was not clear sorry, when I said re-new I was meaning a VEC which has fully expired, as in you have had it 5 years and it comes to an end, when you go to re-new that you wont be able, instead you will get a 12 month TT visa, but there will be cases around Vietnam and the world where until they physically have the new visa to give you will be able to re-new it or get new.

So I reckon anyone renewing an expired VEC or applying for a new one will for the next few months get given one, but it will stop and then its this new 12 month TT visa, which on the face of it doesn't seem to bad, no more trips every 90 days just a trip once a year and although I did see the price I can remember what it was but I think it was like $20 or $30.

' My wording was not clear sorry, when I said re-new I was meaning a VEC which has fully expired, as in you have had it 5 years and it comes to an end, when you go to re-new that you wont be able, instead you will get a 12 month TT visa, but there will be cases around Vietnam and the world where until they physically have the new visa to give you will be able to re-new it or get new.

So I reckon anyone renewing an expired VEC or applying for a new one will for the next few months get given one, but it will stop and then its this new 12 month TT visa, which on the face of it doesn't seem to bad, no more trips every 90 days just a trip once a year and although I did see the price I can remember what it was but I think it was like $20 or $30.'

Re applying , I knew what you mean't. That's why I quoted about the member just receiving a NEW VEC application after Jan 1.
  Don't be at all surprised if we still have to do the 90 day crap even on a 12 month Visa, especially if the application fee is only $20  --$30, they still have this retarded obsession about Foreigners being enemy " spies ", so like to keep tabs on us, ( yet I am registered in 3 different places ??? ), like most things in VN, ( and VN people ), only believe something when it actually happens.

folks,

I have been issued a new VEC this January, which is valid for the next 4.5 years or valid until 6 month before my passport expires.

Furthermore, I asked the immigration guys how this new law will affect VEC's and he said the new law is about VISA and has nothing to do with Visa EXEMPTION. The new law simply does not apply to us (VEC holders). At least that is what they told me.

There was also this confusion in one of the other threads where this vietnam-travel whatever lady said VEC's will have to exit for 30 days before they can come back in. That's all rubbish. It again does not apply to VEC holders. There are some countries or rather citizens of those countries which under the new law can enter VN Visa Free. Those people are the ones which need to exit 30 days before they can re-enter.

So I'd say, take it easy, VEC will remain the same, it is nowhere mentioned in the new law (visa regulations) which in my opinion means nothing will be changed. AGAIN it is NOT a VISA but rather a certificate exempting one from needing a visa.

snake77 wrote:

folks,

I have been issued a new VEC this January, which is valid for the next 4.5 years or valid until 6 month before my passport expires.

Furthermore, I asked the immigration guys how this new law will affect VEC's and he said the new law is about VISA and has nothing to do with Visa EXEMPTION. The new law simply does not apply to us (VEC holders). At least that is what they told me.

There was also this confusion in one of the other threads where this vietnam-travel whatever lady said VEC's will have to exit for 30 days before they can come back in. That's all rubbish. It again does not apply to VEC holders. There are some countries or rather citizens of those countries which under the new law can enter VN Visa Free. Those people are the ones which need to exit 30 days before they can re-enter.

So I'd say, take it easy, VEC will remain the same, it is nowhere mentioned in the new law (visa regulations) which in my opinion means nothing will be changed. AGAIN it is NOT a VISA but rather a certificate exempting one from needing a visa.

Thanks Snake , I was hoping you would come along and sort this out.

snake77 wrote:

folks,

You may well have renewed your expired VEC now but folks should not think that will apply to them when they go to apply or renew.
When you go to re-new an expired VEC at some point you wont be able as they will cease to exist, instead you will get a 12 month TT visa, but there will be cases  [like yours] in Vietnam and around the world where until they physically have the new visa to give you will be able to re-new it.

So I reckon anyone renewing an expired VEC or applying for a new one will for the next few months get given one, but it will stop at some point and then it's this new 12 month TT visa.

Thing is they work a bit different here than say the UK or the US, they change the law and then everyone is playing catch up to try and implement it, they have created a new visa type [TT] which married expats specifically come under, but the government creating the law and the Immigration Ministry being in possession of these new visa's  to issue does not coincide as it should have on Jan 1st.

" Thing is they work a bit different here than say the UK or the US, they change the law and then everyone is playing catch up to try and implement it, they have created a new visa type [TT] which married expats specifically come under, but the government creating the law and the Immigration Ministry being in possession of these new visa's  to issue does not coincide as it should have on Jan 1st."

I think anyone who has lived here more than a year, ( and especially anyone on a VEC ), is WELL aware of how things work in VN, Govt laws change like the weather, and vary from Province to Province, as I've said before, " Believe nothing, or no one, ( especially a VN ),  until it actually happens "

daveinvietnam wrote:
snake77 wrote:

folks,

You may well have renewed your expired VEC now but folks should not think that will apply to them when they go to apply or renew.
When you go to re-new an expired VEC at some point you wont be able as they will cease to exist, instead you will get a 12 month TT visa, but there will be cases  [like yours] in Vietnam and around the world where until they physically have the new visa to give you will be able to re-new it.

So I reckon anyone renewing an expired VEC or applying for a new one will for the next few months get given one, but it will stop at some point and then it's this new 12 month TT visa.

Thing is they work a bit different here than say the UK or the US, they change the law and then everyone is playing catch up to try and implement it, they have created a new visa type [TT] which married expats specifically come under, but the government creating the law and the Immigration Ministry being in possession of these new visa's  to issue does not coincide as it should have on Jan 1st.

bluenz wrote:

" Thing is they work a bit different here than say the UK or the US, they change the law and then everyone is playing catch up to try and implement it, they have created a new visa type [TT] which married expats specifically come under, but the government creating the law and the Immigration Ministry being in possession of these new visa's  to issue does not coincide as it should have on Jan 1st."

I think anyone who has lived here more than a year, ( and especially anyone on a VEC ), is WELL aware of how things work in VN, Govt laws change like the weather, and vary from Province to Province, as I've said before, " Believe nothing, or no one, ( especially a VN ),  until it actually happens "

Maybe but the law has changed of that there is no question; it's the implementation of the new law which will take time, the fact that the law changes on Jan 1st does not mean the reality of it will change on Jan 1st.

I had my lawyer ring the Consulate in San Fran to inquire would I be able to get a VEC in June, there reply was they don't know, they are aware of the new law but have yet to receive the necessary documents paperwork etc and until they do things will stay the same.
I had a friend inquire at the office in Nha Trang and it was pretty much the same answer, in fact the first guy he spoke to did not even know changes where being made, but that's just the way it is here, that guy will go into work one day and be told you now do this not that and its changed.

Like I said people should not think because someone get's a VEC now they will get one in say 1 years time, by then all the paperwork instructions etc may have filtered down to the front desk.

" Like I said people should not think because someone get's a VEC now they will get one in say 1 years time, by then all the paperwork instructions etc may have filtered down to the front desk.'

And like I said , anything can happen in the next few weeks/months and it could all be changed back again????, the idiots don't even know themselves what's going on at the best of times.
I recently came across a Govt article on new Work Permits, ( 2015 ), it said that you are still required to have a Work Permit if you owned a business in VN, which is WRONG, you only need a confirmation that you DON"T require a Work Permit , how stupid is that???? ( that's like saying I need a piece of paper because I don't want to drive a car??? ), But if you go to the next Province, they will probably say you do need one.

" Don't believe anything, or anybody, ( especially a VN ),  until it actually happens ". This should be stamped on our Passports.

bluenz wrote:

" Like I said people should not think because someone get's a VEC now they will get one in say 1 years time, by then all the paperwork instructions etc may have filtered down to the front desk.'

And like I said , anything can happen in the next few weeks/months and it could all be changed back again????, the idiots don't even know themselves what's going on at the best of times.
I recently came across a Govt article on new Work Permits, ( 2015 ), it said that you are still required to have a Work Permit if you owned a business in VN, which is WRONG, you only need a confirmation that you DON"T require a Work Permit , how stupid is that???? ( that's like saying I need a piece of paper because I don't want to drive a car??? ), But if you go to the next Province, they will probably say you do need one.

" Don't believe anything, or anybody, ( especially a VN ),  until it actually happens ". This should be stamped on our Passports.

Come on, the law wont change and they are not idiots, the guys especially the ones you deal with have just not been instructed yet, they cant be expected to tell you something or implement something if they just don't know, people make the mistake of relating how the law and its implementation works back home to how it works here.

Same with your example of stupidity, you will probably find when that's written in Vietnamese it makes perfect sense, it's the translation that fucks it up most of the time.

Can I ask you, you have a VEC and you do what you have to every 3 months etc at immigration, do you also have to register with the local police or ward where you live, or does one negate the other.

daveinvietnam wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Come on, the law wont change and they are not idiots, the guys especially the ones you deal with have just not been instructed yet, they cant be expected to tell you something or implement something if they just don't know, people make the mistake of relating how the law and its implementation works back home to how it works here.

Same with your example of stupidity, you will probably find when that's written in Vietnamese it makes perfect sense, it's the translation that fucks it up most of the time.

Can I ask you, you have a VEC and you do what you have to every 3 months etc at immigration, do you also have to register with the local police or ward where you live, or does one negate the other.

What do you mean , they won't change , it just has changed , hasn't it?? You say you have been here 10 yrs,  then you should know all about the IDIOTS in Govt offices, there are threads on here about some of them, i.e, try Immigration in the search bar at the top. But without these IDIOTS life here would be boring , and very unhumorous here, and we would have very little to gripe about on these forums.
I just RENEWED my VEC yesterday, so I haven't had any problems since giving up  inquiring about my 3 yr old PR application,  and trying to change my VEC to a TRC. ( that cost me a job, but did me a favour at the same time ).

There are only 2 answers you will ever get from a Greenshirt, Yes or NO, ( whether it's right or wrong ), you NEVER get " I don't know ", as that will be admitting they don't know their job, and heaven forbid, how dear you know more than them!!!! That's when you will definitely get ,"  Khong Tieng Anh!!!!."
I've been to many Govt Offices up here, with mixed results, mostly bad, and from feedback on here and elsewhere, it isn't much different elsewhere in VN.

If I want anything translated I have a VN translate it for me, Google Translate is a joke if there are more than 2 words you need translated.

Mine is an unusual situation, I am actually registered in 3 different offices, in a 30 sq km area, my wife uses the original registration office, a small commune , which is good when her friend is on duty, she can get 2 copies of the N5, WITHOUT dates on them, so it means she only has to go there every 180 days.  I then take it to the Immigration office here in QN, ( Registration number 3 ), lodge it, and go back 3 days later, ( today, but I'll go tomorrow, although one time I went and they complained that I should have been there the day before, the time before that, it was a day late, see what I mean about dealing with idiots?? but there is one helpful one, she can even speak a little English ).

bluenz wrote:
daveinvietnam wrote:
bluenz wrote:

What do you mean , they won't change , it just has changed , hasn't it?? You say you have been here 10 yrs,  then you should know all about the IDIOTS in Govt offices, there are threads on here about some of them, i.e, try Immigration in the search bar at the top. But without these IDIOTS life here would be boring , and very unhumorous here, and we would have very little to gripe about on these forums.
I just RENEWED my VEC yesterday, so I haven't had any problems since giving up  inquiring about my 3 yr old PR application,  and trying to change my VEC to a TRC. ( that cost me a job, but did me a favour at the same time ).

There are only 2 answers you will ever get from a Greenshirt, Yes or NO, ( whether it's right or wrong ), you NEVER get " I don't know ", as that will be admitting they don't know their job, and heaven forbid, how dear you know more than them!!!! That's when you will definitely get ,"  Khong Tieng Anh!!!!."
I've been to many Govt Offices up here, with mixed results, mostly bad, and from feedback on here and elsewhere, it isn't much different elsewhere in VN.

If I want anything translated I have a VN translate it for me, Google Translate is a joke if there are more than 2 words you need translated.

Mine is an unusual situation, I am actually registered in 3 different offices, in a 30 sq km area, my wife uses the original registration office, a small commune , which is good when her friend is on duty, she can get 2 copies of the N5, WITHOUT dates on them, so it means she only has to go there every 180 days.  I then take it to the Immigration office here in QN, ( Registration number 3 ), lodge it, and go back 3 days later, ( today, but I'll go tomorrow, although one time I went and they complained that I should have been there the day before, the time before that, it was a day late, see what I mean about dealing with idiots?? but there is one helpful one, she can even speak a little English ).

I meant this new law wont change, of course laws change and no doubt this new law will in a few years, but it's been over 3 years in the making so for all practical purposes it is what it is and will be here to stay.
People make the mistake of thinking the law keeps changing, it doesn't, what changes over time is the implementation of the law, you got a VEC yesterday, someone going in a few months may well not do, the law hasn't just changed , it was made on Jan 1 but they are then in a position to implement it.

Ok, maybe I will ask about the registration in another way and you may know, every time I get a new visa I have to make a copy and I give it to the guy who owns the land I built my properties on, he then takes it away and registers me, where is he taking it? is it immigration or some local police or what, have you any idea. Obviously you wont know the exact office I was just wondering the procedure.

daveinvietnam wrote:

Ok, maybe I will ask about the registration in another way and you may know, every time I get a new visa I have to make a copy and I give it to the guy who owns the land I built my properties on, he then takes it away and registers me, where is he taking it? is it immigration or some local police or what, have you any idea.

The local ward police (Cong An)

snake77 wrote:
daveinvietnam wrote:

Ok, maybe I will ask about the registration in another way and you may know, every time I get a new visa I have to make a copy and I give it to the guy who owns the land I built my properties on, he then takes it away and registers me, where is he taking it? is it immigration or some local police or what, have you any idea.

The local ward police (Cong An)

Thank you.

Ok, maybe I will ask about the registration in another way and you may know, every time I get a new visa I have to make a copy and I give it to the guy who owns the land I built my properties on, he then takes it away and registers me, where is he taking it? is it immigration or some local police or what, have you any idea. Obviously you wont know the exact office I was just wondering the procedure.

This new law was approved in Jun/Jul 2014, implemented on Jan 1, 2015, so they have already had 6 months to get their shit together?????  It may not actually even apply to the VEC, maybe they stuffed up there, there is always that possibly ???? ( We can hope ).

The landowner, ( ???? )  will take it to your local Cong An, in your Ward, ( Landlords in VN are now required by law to be have an internet connection so they can ( inform ) tell the Cong An that you live in their house/flat , etc, who knows what else they also tell them??? ), They sign and stamp it, ( you have to sign this as well ), then it is presented to the Immigration office, ( along with your Passport of course . All the Foreigners I now up here do this part themselves.), 3 days later pick it up and pay the 215K .