Warning for new comers who want to use Tuk Tuk service.

Don't say ok to the driver after he told me your first price quote.

Here's an example of what I heard from these European travelers the other day. I couldn't hear where they want to go

Tuk Tuk Driver : 400 Baht
Travelers : No, it's too expensive.
Tuk Tuk Driver : Ok 150.
Travelers : No, I am not going.
Tuk Tuk Driver : 100 Baht.
Travelers : OK and got on the vehicle.

Be careful of these Tuk Tuk drivers. They tend to take advantage of people who doesn't know the location they are going and make easy money. Not just foreigners, but also Thai people as well. A lot of good Tuk Tuk drivers are out there, so I am not blaming the good ones just the bad ones that made Bangkok a horrible feeling.

I am Thai and I am really ashamed of what these people trying to do.

I know we had the same expirience :( And worse !They want only give discount if they can drive you to shops first .Like dress or costumeshops.Or juwellerystores.So if you buy solmething there they have money from the shop.It takes like an hour or more wich goes of your time to do something else.1 just left us on a shop because we did not want to buy something.Pff..;but it's not your fault but theirs.That should stop.I can understand they want to earn money.I really do but why not ask the tourist ?If tourist says no it's no if he says yes .;then ok .

This applies to pretty much everything, and in every south east Asian country I've visited - probably the rest as well.
My advice is simple - go into a fixed price shop and get an idea of local prices.
I'll use Indonesian prices because I know  them better.
If a bottle of water is Rp3,000, a tuk tuk isn't going to cost Rp400,000, but they may well try to get it.

One thing that everyone can avoid this to happen, try not to choose the Tuk Tuk that is waiting for you and choose the one that is running on the street. This is your first clue.

Almost all Tuk Tuk or taxi drivers want to take foreign tourists to jewelry store; tailor shops etc will receive 50 baht per person from the store. So if they take a couple to the store, they get 100 baht even if the foreign tourists does not buy. If they buy then additional commission like 30% to the drivers. Tour guides are the same too.

Be careful of Tuk Tuk and taxi drivers parked in shopping centers or hotels. When buying anything from shops, make sure to check carefully even they give you brand new one in a box. Open the box to check if it's correct item; colour; size and any damage.
It's time wastage to travel back to change items as traffic jam city. Besides small shops can give you damage item in a box.

Rejoice wrote:

Almost all Tuk Tuk or taxi drivers want to take foreign tourists to jewelry store; tailor shops etc will receive 50 baht per person from the store. So if they take a couple to the store, they get 100 baht even if the foreign tourists does not buy. If they buy then additional commission like 30% to the drivers. Tour guides are the same too.

Absolutely correct.
The drivers have been known to get very ratty if you don't go into the shops.

Pff yes they can be rude even.They should understand that people get angry to by this treatment.And not all Western people are rich!They think they are but it's not true.
It's not because you're white you're rich.Still i can understand they need money.But their are other way's to make money aswell.Anyway..i am warned now :)When i go back..i follow these advises :) Other then the few nasty problems i had in Asia .. i still love Thailand,etc..and i will go back.Because of the good things:The smiling people,the weather,the area,the sea,the Boedhists,temple's,the beauty,the food,etc...and yes..they have less money then us and maybe we are a little wealthier then they are but not rich..so i just know that know so i will avoid places where they try to ripp you of.Period :)I the futur i will spend more time in Asia cause i wanna do business there.

Don´t know why so many of you have problem with Tuk-Tuk !!!

First time you want to go from point A to point B, you take a Taxi on the meter, Next time you can use a Tuk-Tuk, because you know the price now, So if the Taxi cost like 60 baht, You know not to pay the Tuk-Tuk more then 60-65-70-75 baht.
Yes Tuk-Tuk cost a little bit more.

If you don´t know the price and there is only Tuk-Tuk, go to a food shop, 7/11 or other shop, And ask the local what the price is, and they tell you what Thai pay, and you know the price.

In 4 years here, only 1 Tuk-Tuk have ask me to take me go "shopping", i told him NO WAY !!
And he drive me where i want to go. If he have keeping talking about shopping, i will walk away and take other Tuk-Tuk or Taxi.
It is people them self that have to say stop to Tuk-Tuk.
No need to put all the blame on the Tuk-Tuk drivers.

Have a nice day.

I am not a local farang, but been in Chiang Mai for more than four month. I have to admit mostly I have been happy, but yes...
from food in restaurants to basic products at night markets foreigners and travelers do get ripped of with a friendly smile or at times upruptly and plain rudely. Some Thai people are really unhappy people just like else where in the world.
However, if you streetwise and have the gutspha no one can fool you, and the optionion are merely, and abundant. Just a few meters further you can find yourself the best deals at the best price.
I have also found myself a few good spots to eat' and funny enough it seems to be the places wherethe service is also being given with a smile. Mr Kai serves a well presented and substantial meal at only a tasty 60 bht whish i could add a pic.

No one has a problem with a tuk tuk sir, it the mentality of the tuk tuk driver, why does one need to have negotiations with what is considered public transportation in Thailand..
Let's leave the negotiations for the markets here we know the prices been inflated...