Moving to Kuwait (from the UK) with young family

Hi,

I have a wife and young family, a 18 month boy and a 3 year old girl currently living in Chester, UK.

I have a job opportunity with a Telco in Kuwait and really need some advise on the following areas if at possible;

1. The best areas to live with a young family and a rough idea of cost - ideally I think we'd prefer a villa
2. Recommendations private schools that teach the English national cirriculum and nurseries for my baby boy
3. The best heath and fitness spas where my family and I can use pool, gym and include ourselves and children in various social events
4. Any ideas on existing expat baby and toddler activity groups that currently exist and where
5. What is the approx. cost of living - i.e. a weekly shop in the UK supermarket versus Kuwait equivalent
6. Tax laws and considerations - I understand it is tax free but do I have to remain in Kuwait for a period of time to qualify and not pay tax when I return to UK
7. Generally - what is there to do for a young family like mine. I will be at work Sun-Thurs so thinking more about my wife and children
8. How do you go about finding the right maid - this is a new concept to us
9. General thoughts on the quality of life in Kuwait

I'd really appreciate any support you can provide with any of the above.

Mike

hello

Hi - are you able to help with the questions I have posted?

Hello Mike,

Here is my take.

1. The best area is the one close to your work. Since you mentioned telco, those are all fairly close to City. As you would want a villa, i would recommend Salwa. However bear in mind that housing is expensive, and a villa will set you back at least 1500 KWD or more. The location of your home is not that important as usually in Kuwait everything is around 20 minutes away, unless there is a road accident. Unfortunately there usually is one.

2. I have a son of the same age, and we managed to find a good nursery. It was not easy, but there are a number of them around. About the schools, they are expensive, and the quality of education is questionable. Our goal is to get out of here by the time our offspring need to start schooling. Also, there is probably a waiting list, so be prepared for that.

3. These are abundant, but I will leave someone else step in, as I haven't used any of them.

4. Daycare we use keeps them very active. There are also public children playgrounds which are nicely equipped. Unfortunately most of the time they are full of trash, so I go there with a trash bag and clean the playground while mini-me runs around.

5. We spend around 200 KWD monthly on groceries for the family of three. And two cats, we found out that our child and the cats consume most of the budget. :)

6. Can't advise as I am not from UK, but generally if you are here more than 6 months you don't need to pay taxes back home. Might be different for UK, but I doubt it. Someone will probably chime in.

7. Be prepared to figure out your own way of staying entertained. This is not necessarily bad. Most of the population entertains themselves with shopping, but I am assuming this is not your idea of fun. It also depends on the season, during the summer they need to stay indoors. On the positive side, no one will frown if you go anywhere as a family, like a restaurant or even cinema. There are things to do, but you need to specify what your or your wife interests are. Also, Dubai is less that 2 hours away and is cheap to get to (hint, hint).

8. We considered it and we gave up. It was also foreign to us and it will stay that way. We don't need a maid. We could use a part time babysitter, but such concept does not exist here. :(

9. I will not lie; the quality of life is bad. There is a lot to be said, let me know if you have specific concerns. Make sure it is financially worthwhile to you.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have!

P.S. It is definitely an experience that will open up a while new perspective on life. :)

aba1990 wrote:

hello

Unless you have information regarding the subject of this thread then do not post at all.
Thank you.

Hey Mike! Here's my two cent:

1. Villas are going to be pricey like Ribosom mentioned, we're looking to move to another flat and they're currently going for 1300-1500KD so I'm imagining that a villa would cost even more. Live as close to your work as possible since the commute is horrible.
2. I don't have kids so I can't recommend a school but they will be extremely expensive and I again agreed with Ribosome with the quality of education being questionable. I have a few friends with kids who said they had a hard time finding a good nursery but after a handful of attempts they were all about to find decent ones.
3. My husband and I are members at the Corniche Club and we paid 1350KD for the two of us last year so I'm expecting it will increase in price this year. It's the most expensive gym membership I've ever paid for with the least amount of amenities and the biggest eyesore but our options were limited. There is a gym and pool and will keep your kids entertained.
4. My friends with kids just let their kids play with other kids from their apartment building or from school but I've haven't heard of a activity group.
5. We pay 900KD for accommodation, 200 for groceries for two, 200KD for dining out for two, 50KD for cable and phone service on average monthly.
6. I don't know about the UK but Americans still have to pay taxes back home when working abroad.
7. Shopping, health club, dining out and probably more shopping. Your kids will probably be fine after they start school and make friends. Your wife on the other hand will probably be okay for the first few months then will hit an all time low with boredom but that will go away after you guys make friends.
8. If you can please don't support the concept of having a maid if you can avoid it.
9. Quality of life is not so great here. I won't go into details on a public forum but if you liked more details feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps you!