New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here - 1st quarter of 2015

Hi all,

Newbie on the Costa Rica forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Costa Rica if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here continues below!

Hi all!

My name is Fil, and I've been living in San José for just over 5 months now.

I'm originally from the Czech Republic, but my family and I moved to Australia when I was 6.

I've traveled pretty extensively, and always enjoy swapping stories or tips with fellow travelers. I'm also more than happy to answer any questions people may have about places I've been, or just have a chat. I'm very sociable :)

Billy Joe Hunter here, from Mobile, Alabama area. I'm fixing to move to Costa Rica soon. I'm looking for a place on the beach and dollar beer.

Feel free to check out my blog [email protected] of what I'm learning about CR.

Hi, My wife, Jan and I have applied for residency and just moved to Atenas. We are retired and working to learn Spanish. We would like to meet other expats in the area. Are there places and times each week where expats go?
Thanks,
George Escola

That is a pretty open ended question, perhaps you could elaborate?

Hi I am Keith , I can tell you almost everything about Nicaragua. Costa Rica a bit less. My
girlfriend lives here in Costa Rica. I know that the cost of living is very high here in Costa Rica compared to Nicaragua
The stadard of living is lower for the Nicaraguans but our money goes almost three times as far
than Costa Rica. Nicaragua is a very safe Country. I have traveled by bus extensively throughout the Country.

to churts
can you write your email??
I WANT CONTACT WITH YOU

Greetings everyone!

My name is Kathryn and my husband Jim and I are both 51 years young and giving much thought to retiring in Costa Rica in a few years.  We live on Vancouver Island BC and are planning our first trip to CR to last about three weeks. During that time we will try to visit as many areas as we can. We look forward to reading the different forums on this site and I have to say.....we are very excited at the prospect of living in such a beautifully bio-diverse country. We are both new to blogs and forums so it may take us a while to learn the ropes here.

We welcome any practical advise from Expats on relocating.

Welcome Kathryn;
We did the same thing as you back in the early fifty years.  We hail from British Columbia and then Alberta but made the big move in September of this year.  We are retired and loving it here in Costa Rica.  Best of luck on your trip and if we can help in any way just holler!
Cheers .... Terry (and Vivian)

It is advisable to come for multiple visits prior to purchasing any property, and at various time of the year. Even then, many residents suggest you rent, until you are sure of your location.
You should check out this website for more information regarding living in Costa Rica.

TerrynViv wrote:

Welcome Kathryn;
We did the same thing as you back in the early fifty years.  We hail from British Columbia and then Alberta but made the big move in September of this year.  We are retired and loving it here in Costa Rica.  Best of luck on your trip and if we can help in any way just holler!
Cheers .... Terry (and Vivian)

Thanks so much! It is nice to know there are fellow Canucks in CR. I must say my biggest concern is the humidity. I have been to the Caribbean a few times and never found it unbearable but I do need to be near water. I am worried that living in the Central Valley without a vehicle will preclude me from accessing the beaches. Do most homes have a pool there then? Do you have any suggestions regarding our first visit...a good central spot to explore from?

HI Mossie,  I lived in Victoria for a few years but now live in Costa Rica.  Be sure to learn as much as you can before you make the move here, it's not all great climate and an abundance of animals.  If you are wealthy then what I'm about to say may not mean anything to you.  Real estate being sold to foreigners is all over priced here, so I suggest you rent until a good deal pops up.  Electrical power costs about the same as in Canada, water is cheap, property taxes are low, car prices are probably the highest in this hemisphere, import taxes makes everything here very expensive, such as import taxes on a refrigerator being over 80%.  The local people are great, but petty theft is a major problem.  You cannot work here, you can open a business but 75% fail within two years.  Make sure you tell the locals you are Canadian and not a Gringo.  Be careful when renting a typical Tico style cement home with a metal roof, they are like pizza ovens and cost a fortune to keep cool, that's why I went with an Eco home built by a Canadian builder.  If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at bejucoman(at)yahoo.com

Thanks Edward!

We are planning to rent initially and appreciate your feedback regarding real estate. We are not planning to work once we make the initial plunge. I will likely have more questions than answers so will keep your contact information. Thanks for input. We realize we will have to make alot of concessions and yes.....we are aware there is a wet season which is typically longer than the dry season. We both just feel a need to Downshift and perhaps we will only end up there for a few years like many....but hey.you never know!!

I can only reply with respect to how we are.  We originally wanted ocean view property but were open to looking everywhere.  We found that being so close to the water was too hot and humid for us.  We eventually settled at about the 2900 foot level in the Puriscal area.  Average high is 28 and low is 18.  We are 55km to the Pacific coast but don't make the trip too often.  We do have a car.  We live in a community that has a shared pool of which many of us are members / owners.  There are many people who live here without a car but that was not for us.  What we did on our first trip was rent a car and just travel to where we wanted to see.  We stayed wherever we happened to end up.  It was a great experience and brought us back to Costa Rica over the next few years before we decided to come here permanently.  If you want you can also contact me via email  terryincostarica(at)gmail.com
Cheers .... Terry

My name is Dana, my boyfriend, cat, and I really want to make a move from VA to Costa Rica! We have both lived in the same area our whole life thus far. We are ready to start out own adventure somewhere we feel would better fit our laid back, friendly, easy going lifestyle. We are both lovers of the ocean and environment. He is a surfer and I just paddle around trying to catch some waves. Any information on how to find a safe location and  way of income would be helpful. We are in our early to mid twenties, he has a college degree in Recreation and Leadership with a Business and ecotourism minor.

You can't legally work here, until which will take approx 5 years, although you can work  if you could secure a work visa which is very difficult or online. Suggest you read this website

I actually like the so called rainy season, as it only rains for a short time each day.  In January and February you can fry like an egg down here.  Just remember what I told you "you are a Canadian" not a gringo, and it's very important that you make everyone aware of that when you get here.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k9WObrEOzI

Hi Mossie, I think you should also see this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzFtSBAv-2U

No, mossie, the majority of homes here do not have a pool. In many areas of the Central Valley the water will possibly  be 'too cool'...and too expensive to heat. Many homes don't even have hot water in the home, even in the showers  :o
Many try to go without a vehicle but change their mind after finding it does limit their trips and is often inconvenient.

Renting is the best way to go until you are 'sure', and the easiest way to move to another location or to return to your home country for any number of reasons.

Thanks Edward!

I just watched the video and appreciate all the hosts wonderful insights. Its rare to get this perspective and will definitely make our visit more pleasurable. Jim and I are very unassuming, respectful and appreciative people but perhaps a bit naiive and I think we have much to learn. I've been home sick with a flu so have had more time than normal to research CR. I am concerned about the amount of expats that return to their country of origin. I wonder if it truly difficult to spend all your life in one country and then expect to just miraculously live your last few decades in a completely foreign one. We are considering this from a financial perspective...it is more that we are tired of being holed up in our homes for 8 months of the year. We welcome the idea of spending much of our day outside most months of the year.

In your opinion, do you think it is an unrealistic dream? The more I am reading I am wondering if perhaps I have been looking at this through rose colored glasses?

~ Mossie

The hills in the Central Valley drove me insane, up and down the mountain for groceries etc.  Down near Quepos we always have warm water in the pools and the land is flat.  Quepos and Parrita both have big hosptials and the towns have everything, plus there is never a shortage of water like in some northern areas.
It's also a lot greener down here, with a lot of animals.

[Moderated : advertising is not allowed on the forum ]

Hello, My wife and I are looking into moving to Costa Rica.  Do not know anything about the country but want to learn.  I'm tired of being a "Gringo."  I want a slower life style without all the rush and hustle of the USA.

You may want to read The Real Costa Rica and also the legal requirementsfor living here, with the latter website full of important information.

You will still be a Gringo when you get down here...LOL
You should watch this video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k9WObrEOzI

:)  Hi ...My name is Cathy and presently I live in Illinois.  I have been coming to Costa Rica for 15 years for vacation.  In 2005 I bought a 1640 sq m lot in Esterillos Oeste and want to build a house there but have no idea where to start.  Tomorrow I am meeting with a civil engineer..Wish me luck. !

While I understand you have existing property, I would suggest you consider buying a pre-owned home, before you commit to building. There are some fantastic homes offered for sale in that area.
You will need luck...and lot's of money  :cool:

We just built last year and have lived in our house for six months now.  Went off without a hitch and we were $322 over budget.  Best of luck on yours.
Terry

Hi CathiG,

I live close to you near Bejuco Beach.  We used a Canadian builder who has been building Eco homes in Costa Rica for a dozen years.  He does not build the standard Tico concrete Pizza ovens that cost a fortune to keep cool.
Send me an email for more information   bejucoman(at)yahoo.com

whoa!  I was not aware the term gringo excluded a canadian.   Technically it means foreigner.  So I am a gringo.   What is going to happen to me now?  lol.   pago mucho dinero?

Julian.  re: the new member introduction.  I am tech challenged and do not see what link or button I click to post my intro.  would you do a step by step so I know what to click to post my intro?  thanks gary

Hi sporto505 > you are actually on this topic > "New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself". ;) If you have any questions on Costa Rica, you should start a new topic on the forum and ask your questions.

Thank you.

Hi going to check it out Costa Rica in the end of May will need employment would like to start a business

Suggest you read the legal requirements of living here. and realize, that while still a 'tourist', you can't legally work here without a work visa which is very difficult to get, work online or you can open a business but not 'physically' work in it, but are required to hire locals to do so.

Hi All, my name is Melissa. I am Costa Rican. I wanted to offer my support and help in anything you need. I used Expat.com when I moved to Budapest for 2 years in 2012 and it basically saved me from making many mistakes, and I had the opportunity to make new friends.

If you need anything, please reach out. I will be more than glad to help.

Gracias Melissa.  What a pleasure to have a knowledgable Tico offer to help !!!   I am on playa hermosa now but will have a couple questions when I get back to Santana.     gary

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=462010

Thanks!

Closed