Playa Lagarto Eco Developement

Are you interested in a lot in phase one I have 2 lots there 56 and 89 they both have great ocean views. 1.5 acre lots.

Hello sorry if this is a repeat relpy. But hAVE 2 LOTS IN PHASE ONE in PlAYA LAGARTO ECODEVELOPMENt. I am selling one of them they are 1.25 acres each one is one of the highest in the development. with beautiful ocean views if interested please contact me.

Hello Roy_F,
We are considering buying property there. Have you seen your property directly in Costa Rica? So far we are impressed with whole process with dealing with Eco development. The guy sent us pictures of different lots as well, so we have very good idea about the feel of land.
Did you use their lawyer or did you got your own. Sorry for asking so many questions, but I am not too trustful.
Thank you very much!

Hi sungazer,
I would suggest you use your own lawyer as I have spent tons of time correcting and changing contracts and agreements.
It is a pleasure to work with people in Toronto. They are very supportive but documentation side of the land sale and house construction is a mess. Maybe it is OK to have agreements in such bad conditions in Costa Rica but it is not acceptable for Canada and it may cause problems if you then will try to sale your property.
I did not see the land but I have pictures and topography of the lot and know how it looks. I am planning to go to Costa Rica in the beginning of December. It will be a dry season over there and we may spend a few day on the beach

we've been watching this project too, though refuse to buy until visited.
Need to see a bit more than a set of gates and one show house too.......be nice to talk to some residents and the locals too.
Not sure about the weather too in their summer about how muggy it would be in the area at lower elevation.
Anyone one familiar with any decent places or casa's to stay in the area?

Always use your own lawyer in Costa Rica and ask here for references. I am been through a lot of bad ones to finally get a good one and I am suffering the consequences years later. Yes, it does matter here in Costa Rica probably more than in the states or Canada because here there is no real title insurance. I just found out for example there is no concession for a well I own. You have to really know what you are doing here. We are not in Kansas any more!

I have a friend who owns a small guest house she rents in Lagarto ..if you want I can put you in touch. If you want to stay at my place, you can check that out online. I am 45 minutes away in Junquillal. www.hotelitosisisi.com if you want to check it out. Actually, the architect builder of the project stays over here near me :)

Never ever buy property here without checking it out in person!

Thank you for your advice, right now we are checking topographic maps for different lots . Looks like almost each lot has  deep ravine going through. I don't know if somebody notice that too. There might be some building restrictions in place on properties because of  these ravines. Have to get more research regarding these :(

Hi I actu ally have 2 lots one on the eND of a ravine in phase one that looks out to the ocean lots of potential. The other lot is a Jacen perched atop a hill that is one of the highest points with amazing views. I have been there twice to visit and it really is a top notch development. I asked about restrictions and there was none the architect Carlos new of. I will be building on one of the lots this year. They are both for sale lots 56 and 89 phase one

Whether or not there is restrictions regarding building in this ravine, there will be very specific requirements to doing so.
Another consideration should be is how to maintain the lot, as this could make life more difficult.

Again, suggest that anyone interested in purchasing any property, visit first and see whether everything is as advertised and that all utilities are already in place.

My advice to anyone considering purchasing land is to go and look before you buy, as I did.  Have a fun week in Tamarindo, Playa Lagarto is only about 30 minutes south of there. Also, I purchased several books on Amazon.com  and a waterproof map so that I could get orientated with the country. The fund the "Moon" books were the best in my view. I purchased a lot in Phase 3 with an a Pacific Ocean view which I am very happy with, but I don't plan to build until Phase 1 and 2 are partially completed. That said, I have just got back and I am amazed at the progress since my last visit October 2013.  I was also really surprised on this visit at the new paved road that is being built south of Tamarindo towards Playa Lagarto, that will really increase the value for anyone who has already purchased a lot or plan to in the near future. Like any investment you need to get in early. Lastly, when you visit the eco-development check for a wireless connection, we were able to logon to the internet on my wife's ipad, from our lot that has no road yet!  I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying a piece of this beautiful country with happy people.

:cool: great advice. It's good to Hear about the development from owners I was there in Feb 2014 and very impressed with the development. Thanks for posting when I go back next Janunary it should be a big change.

With reference to the discuss about Lot's that have a ravine crossing them, my purchase agreement states clearly that you can't build on it or fill it in. I have a ravine running across my Lot that I see as an asset to ensure we have good drainage in the wet season and it will make a nice garden feature also. That said, we still have more room than we need to build a house on our one and a quarter acer Lot in Phase 3.  This is why you should always walk around your lot before you buy it,

:cool: sound somewhat like one of my lots only the bak edge of the ravine is higher up and where the building site is then the ravine runs SW looking out towards the ocean. I agree that the ravine will have some great gardening possibilities. where is phase 3 located im guessing it is south of phase one.

I would suggest that you talk to Carlos, with reference to the ravine on your lot, to find out if you can install a large drainage pipes and then fill it in as part of the grading process.  If you take a look at the Recap Investment website, they have photos of drainage pipe being installed. I look forward to hearing about your visit next year and I also plan on visiting again, most likely in May.

:cool: I have discussed building on both of my lots with Carlos. The lane way is already built to my top lot. When I go back this time I am going to discuss with another builder who uses Magnesium Oxide panels to bulk with. It's cheaper and cooler than cement. Looking forward to the visit. Going to book it today.

Please keep me informed on the Magnesium Oxide panels option as I am very interested. I google them and see they are fire, mold and mildew resident, good attributes for Costa Rica!  When you talk to the builder I would suggest that you also find out how these panels perform in an earthquake, Are these panels reinforced with rebar or wire mesh?
I live in Southern California so we are used to getting the occasional shake. Thank you for the information.

Joancr wrote:

Always use your own lawyer in Costa Rica and ask here for references. I am been through a lot of bad ones to finally get a good one and I am suffering the consequences years later. Yes, it does matter here in Costa Rica probably more than in the states or Canada because here there is no real title insurance. I just found out for example there is no concession for a well I own. You have to really know what you are doing here. We are not in Kansas any more!

Actually there is Title Insurance and one attorney here on the board (look up outliers - I think that's his board name) and he does recommend Title Insurance.

However my attorney said it wasn't necessary. What IS necessary is that you check on the history of the title, check for liens and such at the backroom of the registro in San Jose. And you can get a lot of info online at the registro web site though it's in Spanish and you'll have to find an online "how to" (google it) to find the property in the registro based on the Finca # or property #, plano # etc.

That said, the best thing to do is get an experienced Tico attorney who speaks some English and who has references from many other Americans or foreigners who have used him to buy property. ALWAYS USE *YOUR OWN* ATTORNEY - NOT the one who works with the realtor selling you the land. Believe me, I almost lost $5k by NOT doing so!

burnebob wrote:

Please keep me informed on the Magnesium Oxide panels option as I am very interested. I google them and see they are fire, mold and mildew resident, good attributes for Costa Rica!  When you talk to the builder I would suggest that you also find out how these panels perform in an earthquake, Are these panels reinforced with rebar or wire mesh?
I live in Southern California so we are used to getting the occasional shake. Thank you for the information.

Are these different than SIP panels?
I understand that SIP panels are earthquake approved and a friend of mine in Costa Rica is looking into building with them and I also am interested in them. If these are not what you are talking about, then please give more info on the "magnesium oxide" panels - a link perhaps? You can pm me as sometimes links are not allowed on this forum. Or put them here without the http and www in front and it may fly.

Hi Roy_F, I would be interested in your update once you have visited the site. I'm looking into this development as well in phase III. thanks

Hi J_R_M,
we just came back from Costa Rica. I will post some video soon.

Yes they are SIP

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in the Playa Lagarto area at reasonable prices? Preferably a villa with full kitchen and private pool. Looking to check out the development in the next couple of months. thanks

Check out casaostional.com

My wife and I stayed in the town of Tamarindo when we visited our Phase 3 Lot at the Playa Lagarto Eco-development in July. There is a good selection of reasonably priced hotels and villas in the area. We stayed a La Palapa Hotel. which is small clean but basic hotel on the beach, "great location!"  Our room (#3) had a small kitchenette and breakfast on the beach was also included for the $80 per night we paid.  Checkout, Booking.com for hotel reviews.  If you decide to stay in Tamarindo the nearest international airport is Liberia, which is about an hour North East. Play Lagarto is an hour and fifteen minutes South of the airport and 30 minute drive South from Tamarindo.
I hope you find this is helpful, have a great trip.

I have set up a small movie about our trip to Playa Lagarto Eco Development: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhORgNvdCo

Hello Roy,
Thank you for posting your movie, after two visits to the development we recognized most of the drive in.  Do you already have land there?  We purchased a nice hill top lot with ocean view in phase 3, about eighteen months ago. We hope to start building 2017 providing the electric, water and road up to there is completed!  We also made a movie last year showing the current drive from phase 1 to phase 3 and our land/view, for our family to see.  If you would like to view it let me know your email address.

Also, I noticed a GPS in the car, did it work and which one was it?

Kind Regards Bob.

Thank you Roy for the movie.  I like it.
Maha

More people have gone missing in Tamarindo than anywhere else in Central America, and nobody can figure out why.
http://www.ticotimes.net/2011/10/20/fam … costa-rica

Hi Roy,
Is your land incorporated?

Hello Burnebob,
Yes, land is incorporated.

Hello Burnebob,
our GPS did not work properly in Costa Rica. It did not have all roads. I was told that I need to upload Central America map on GPS

Hello Roy F.
That's good to hear, we incorporated our land also. From what I have read it is the best way to go.  I plan on visiting again later this year so if you would like me to check your lot when I visit mine (Lot C55) let me know the number and perhaps you will do the same for me when you next visit.

Hello Roy F.
On our first visit to CR we rented a car that included a Garmin Nuvi 50LM GPS, so before our second visit I purchased the same GPS but like yours it didn't work that well. I believe the main season for that is, I only installed the free version  of the CR maps!  I plan the buy the full version before my next visit. That said, the most important thing you need is a good waterproof map that is available on Amazon.

Hello Burnebob,
I might go to CR earlier then you and don't mind checking your lot. Our lot is A15. We starting house construction that could be completed by the end of summer. 
Our Garmin has North America map life updates but looks like for Garmin Costa Rica is in South America as the CR maps are better in Garmin's South America map set. You can buy those maps for $90 with lifetime updates.

Hi Roy,
Thanks for the Garmin info. 

With reference to your lot, when did you purchase it? The reason I ask is that I wanted a lot in phase 1, but they were all sold out back in October 2013. Sounds like you are well ahead with your home construction, I look forward to hearing about your construction experience. Is Carlos your project manager?

Hello Burnebob,
I bought that lot in July of 2013. At that time only 3 lots were available.
Yes, Carlos is a Project Manager. He is great. I am building a villa that was design by Carlos. I already reviewed with him my blueprints and did a few changes. So far everything is good )))

From what I have seen the workmanship looks very good and I trust that Carlos will do a good job. I look forward to seeing your new home finished and getting to meet you and your family. From what Carlos told me last time we visited, he also has a lot near mine in phase 3.  Do you know when your home is scheduled to be completed?  Please let me know when you next plan to visit and maybe I can coordinate a trip down, it would be good to chat in person.

Regards Bob.

I think you're absolutely right!  Checking out the infrastructure, getting a letter to see who owns the land and some of the other particulars you've listed are incredibly important.  There are a lot of developers with land for sale that have no infrastructure in place, nor have any idea of how complicated it is to actually "build" on the property they're hoping to sell. 

Michael

(Moderated: please post in the Land for sale in Costa Rica section)