Venice or Mestre

Hello
We will be going to Venice for the first time 3 days, we would like to know is it possible to stay in Mestre ( only because it is cheaper) and then o in Venice daily by train or bus, or is it a must to stay in Venice itself to really enjoy it

Thanks

Hello wolfman001 and welcome on board Expat.com

Hope that somebody out there will be able to help you out on this issue soon.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

hey wolfman

Mestre to venice by train takes around 15minutes only and are very regular. The only disadvantage would having to get the last train back which I think is around midnight...only because the city is more quiet and magical at night once all the day trippers have gone

You can find descent priced places in Venice. ..without the hassle of going to mestre

Hello markmitaly,

Could you suggest some of these places here? It might be of help to wolfman001

Thank you,

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Mestre (imho) is ugly. I'd prefer to stay in Venice. Furthermore, being in Mestre you don't need bus/train only. You have the vaporetto (boat bus) also, and it's expensive. Hence I'd definitely stay in Venice, going around by foot.  Compare prices with homelidays.it (apartments) and booking.com / tripadvisor (hotels). Check on a map whether they really are in the historic town or in the mainland.

Take also into account that restaurants/food in Venice are expensive. Beware of restaurants having a waiter on the entrance who chats you up inviting you inside. The best places don't lure customers. Beware of fixed prices menus because if you order an extra (dish or beverage) it can become a bad experience.  Always check trip advisor or ask a reliable local making clear your budget.

You cannot compare Venice with Mestre. To experience Venice you must go to sleep and wakeup in this amazing city on earth. Experience the smells and noise of the ancient city.  You can stay very cheaply in Venice and eat cheaply stay away from the tourist areas for accommodation and meals.
I suggest you contact Luxrest Venice as they can provide you with excellent small apartment stays in areas where the true venetians live. My husband and I have used this accommodation agency for many years and are very pleased with their service.
Have a wonderful time in this Magical City

HI,
We have planned to visit Venice by 01st and 2nd of April. Could some suggest which will be the good places to visit in Venice.
Also where we can stay to access the places?
Kindly help which will be grateful.

- choose your hotel with trip advisor (in the ancient historic town, not in Mestre);

- Once in venice, taxi and gondolas are expensive. Water buses (VAPORETTI) are comparatively cheaper.
Here their prices: http://www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/prices#C2

Then, it all depends on your interests.

- Visit the Rialto food market and the nearby zone by foot, on morning.

- Watch the grand canal from the water bus.

- Do you like museums ? Plenty of them. Here the top ten, read the descriptions:
http://venicexplorer.com/explore-venice … e-museums/

- Do you like music ?

check out this and choose: http://www.musicinvenice.com

There are also Free music events on those days:
on April, 1st there will be a free Concert (Stravinsky's music) at the San Servolo Island, at 5 p.m. (go there using the water bus, not a taxi):
http://www.agendavenezia.org/en/evento-33322.htm

Stroll along XXII marzo Calle for luxury shops, after visiting San Marco square.

Last but not least, get lost in Venice, walking around the narrow streets.

Eventually, important: EATING.

Never, never, never get in restaurants having waiters on the door hailing you and inviting you in.
*Always* use trip advisor to choose where to have lunch or dinner.

Do not be shy. Ask for the price of whatever you do, eat or drink in advance.

Do not forget to watch this documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA1yXBw … ED22D86C0D

have a nice trip

ciao
Paolo

Hello Paolo.

Thank you so much for the kind advice and the links which you had shared. I will go through everything and make a perfect plan.
I will really like to visit the Museum in Venice. Oh god thats a good information from you to beware over the waiters in Restaurants.
Do you ever noticed a Indian restaurant in Venice. Just a request.
Can i choose a hotel somewhere near San Polo, San Marco and Cannaregio? Please advice Paolo

Thanks in advance.

Raja TM wrote:

Do you ever noticed a Indian restaurant in Venice. Just a request

I'm a good customer of a venetian Indian restaurant. I like it very much but I can't compare it with the original indian cuisine (I've never been in India, sadly).  Once I tried two indian restaurants in France, but the venetian one is better, imho.

This is the restaurant:
Ganesh Ristorante Indiano a Venezia
San Polo, 2426
30125 Venezia
+39 041 719804

Here its location on google map:
http://goo.gl/yl0NNb

Raja TM wrote:

Can i choose a hotel somewhere near San Polo, San Marco and Cannaregio? Please advice Paolo

Provided it is in Venice historic city all locations are good. Blocks in old Venice are called "Sestieri".
As you already know, the Sestieri are:
- San Marco;
- Cannaregio;
- San Polo;
- Castello;
- Dorsoduro;
- Santa Croce;

All these historic blocks are beautiful, hence you can choose wherever you want.
San Marco is more luxurious.
Notice that Venice is very small. Even by foot only in 30 minutes you are everywhere, unless you get lost. But this is funny and beautiful. There are not dangerous places in Venice. The only danger is pickpocketing on crammed water buses.

ciao
Paolo

Yes, you can stay in Mestre. It is cheaper but that's like staying in Fort Lee, New Jersey and taking a bus to Manhattan each day. You'll miss a lot because the buses and trains do not run all night and Venezia is least crowded, more charming and more accessible before the tourist hordes arrive in the AM and especially they depart in the evening.

Ciao Paolo
Thank you once again for the advice.
I am going to try for sure the Indian food in the restaurant which you had mentioned.
Anything is better than something. SO will take some food of Indian Cuisine.

Sestiere , i believe it indicates the 6 districts if i am not wrong. I will choose a good hotel in this 6 districts.

Our first stop will be Zermat , Andermat at Swiss , then to Venice and We will be flying to Paris from Venice.
If you know some good places in Zermat , you can advice me. Your guidance is very clear and helpful.

Regards
Raja

Citron. Thanks for your advice as well. As you said i too heard it too long to travel from Mestre.
Hope to have a better stay in Venice