Cost of living in Bahrain – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Bahrain in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Bahrain you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Bahrain?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Hi,

I think the Definitive Guide to Bahrain for New Expats which was put down by our esteemed forum members still holds good with update-to-date information.

T&R
Arjun

Dear Logical Indian!

Hallo, I read the Definitive Guide :)  but ....it is not updatet  for 2015...
Goodbye everyone! It was nice beeing here!
Beate

350bd
> accommodation prices 200bd

> public transportation fares (20bd.)

> food prices (60bd)

> health prices (10 to 15bd)

> education prices (30bd)

> energy prices (25bd)

> common bills (20)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant 15bd

> price for a coffee or a drink 100fils to 2.5bd

> price for cinema tickets1.5to 4bd

Here is my take:

> accommodation prices:  Accommodation is expensive, but bargains can be found if you are willing to look for them.  It takes time, effort and good negotiation with your potential landlord.  We pay BD460 (all inclusive - water, electricity and high speed internet) for a large 3 bedroom apartment in Saar with 2 bathrooms, open plan lounge/dining room and separate kitchen, with a large wraparound balcony. There is also a pool.  We also know that some of the newer tenants are paying BD550 for a slightly smaller apartment.  We have friends that live in a 3 bedroom villa in Saar with 3 bathroom, foyer, lounge, diningroom, kitchen with maids quaters and separate storage facility and garden for BD600 all inclusive (water and elec) and another paying BD650 for similar including an office space.

> food prices (your monthly budget) - We are a family of 2 adults and a 3 year old and we budget BD300 for food monthly and we eat really well.  This amount includes once a week fast food meal and once a week restaurant meal for all of us.  We mostly shop at Macromart or Geant.  We eat a lot of the local lamb (BD1/kg).  We also buy veg from the farmers market or the guys on the side of the road as they are always cheaper than the supermarkets.  We eat limited amounts of sugary foods and don't eat processed foods which we find adds greatly to our food costs when we buy them.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) - my wife gets medical insurance from her work.  My son and I have private medical with Russel Williams for BD105 for their Silver Plan.  I am sure there is cheaper and better, but they are really good for what we are paying (and cheaper than what we paid back home)

> education prices (if you need to pay) - we pay BD160 for my sons nursery school (includes meals, nappies and arts and crafts).  Formal schooling is much more expensive.  British school starts at BD850 per term for KG and up to BD2500 for year 12.  IKNS is on a similar paying range.  Pakistani school is BD65 per month and Indian schools range between BD100-300 per term

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) -  OSN between BD15-41 per month depending on the package you want.  Internet - BD15 gets you 30GB per month at high speeds.  Mobile phone - anything between BD15-30 per month (if you don't go over your limit or forget to switch of your data when roaming).  Car rentals from BD140 upwards depending on the car want to drive.  Most Cleaners charge BD2/hour to clean your house.  We pay our watchman BD20/month to wash our 2 cars 3-4times/week. 

> price for a coffee or a drink - Starbucks and Costa both charge BD1.5 for a tall, BD1.7 for a grande and BD1.9 for a vente cappuccino/cafe latte etc.   

> price for cinema tickets - BD3 per person at City Centre, BD1 for a large bucket caramel popcorn, BD1 for large soda.

The reason the guide is not updated for 2015 because not much has changed since 2014.

I can say only about food, as i am having all other from my company .
If ur having food from hotel.for decent kerala food per day it will cost 2BD to 2.5 BD
That means around 75 BD

And if ur making food along with room mate say 2 or 3 person sharing..then for one person maximum 35BD to 40BD it will come.

It may change according to lifestyle..drinks not included.

350bd
> accommodation prices 250bd

> public transportation fares (20bd.)

> food prices (90bd)

> health prices (50 to 65bd)

> education prices (100bd)

> energy prices (35bd)

> common bills (30)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant 15bd

> price for a coffee or a drink 100fils to 2.5bd

> price for cinema tickets1.5to 4bd

Hi,

I am a bachelor living in Janabiyah.

> accommodation prices
In and around SAR 200-300 BD(unfurnished 2-3 bed) Villa (450-750 BD) Apt. furnished (350 BD - 500/600)
Rentals depend on the facilities and surrounding.
I pay 350 for a reasonably furnished 2 bed.

Never used any

avg meal 2 BD - 3 BD

10 BD

> price for a coffee or a drink
Coffee 2 BD
Drinks avg 5 BD

> price for cinema tickets
3 BD

Accommodation  225
food 60
Transport  30

I live with family in Janabiyah near BSB
accommodation prices : 1600BD 4 bedroom villa all in cl.

> public transportation fares Taxis are very expensive, even it the driver does not cheat you. from Hamala to Airport 12-15 BD

> food prices (your monthly budget)  300 BD p/month

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) 350 pp metlife alico

> education prices year 8 BSB approx. 6000 BD per year

> energy prices approx.. 150 BD per month , make note you often need to add 10% as municipality costs over your rent prices.

> common bills (Internet 40 BD p/m, television 24 BD p/m telephone, mobile phone: 20-30 BD p/m)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant ranging from 5 to 15 BD per proper meal

> price for a coffee or a drink coffee: 500 fils to 1.7 at Starbucks, beer 2 BD per pint.

Thank you all for sharing these informations. :)

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Hello all,
being here for 7 years now I am on the +ve end of the break even cycle. We are a couple living in downtown Um al Hassam. Here is my costing per month.

Rent: BD 400, 3 bedroom, Fully furnished, serviced apartment, with internet.
Telephone + High Speed Internet + Viva Prepaid with 1GB add on = 17 
Fuel: BD 10
Groceries: Once a month Geant - BD 70
Weekly Top ups from Cold Stores for bread, milk, egg, juice: BD 30
Food (home delivery) - BD 50
Food (eating out) - BD 50
Misc. Shopping and Impulse Happiness- BD 100
Entertainment -  0 to a 100 BD (during concerts/spring of culture)

Grand Total: average around 750 BD a month.

Live in Riffa Views.

> accommodation prices
4 bedroom villa. BD 1300 all inclusive.

Cab fare from airport to Riffa is around 15 BD

350 BD for 3 adults and one child

Provided by employer

6200 BD per year for Pre-KG at RVIS

Around 120BD in summer and 10 BD in winter

40 BD for OSN, 50 BD for home internet, Mobile phone around 50 BD (most covered by employer)

10-20 BD per person

Hi

So as a male teacher, no kids, can I exist AND save on 2000BD per month - BUT that does not include accommodation or health care ?

Thanks

Hi,

yes you should be able to save, god forbid if any health issues come up just keep in mind your not covered.

just giving you a headsup.

Good luck

T&R

Cheers - thing is, I have a friend in Bahrain on 2000bd + accomm + health - so this deal Im being offered is poor I think.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : off topic

Hi everyone,
I live in a 2 bed fully furnished apartment in Seef

> accommodation prices- BD380 all inclusive (Internet, bills, OSN, TV, maid service daily)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) I use UBER taxi app (promo code= olis138ue) roughly 50% cheaper than local taxis. I also have a car which costs me BD129/month.

> food prices (your monthly budget) Live with 1 other person and so we allow for BD140 including alcohol.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) This is provided by the company so BD0

> education prices (if you need to pay) I currently have no kids so BD0

> energy prices (oil, electricity, water) Included in my accommodation. so BD0

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) Mobile I pay BD1/week. Petrol normally BD5/month

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant. Can be anything from BD5-25 (also a lot higher depending how much you want to spend)

> price for a coffee or a drink. Soft drinks in a 330ml can should be BD0.150. Beer anything from BD1.9-4

> price for cinema tickets. Only been once and cost me BD3

> Membership prices: Rugby Club BD150/year, Riifa Golf Club BD550/year, Ritz membership BD1200/year

peddiasok wrote:

Is cost of living is cheaper in Manama than any other Asian countries like india?

No its much much higher and secondly, this is an old thread. Please refer to the latest threads on cost of living.