Renting in Marrakech

Hi, I am looking to rent an apartment for 2 or 3 wks later in the year in Marrakech. Prices seem to differ widely. Can someone give me an idea of what is realistic. I would like somewhere within few mins walk or taxi from the medina and with good facilities. The apartment is for 1 person.
Many thanks

You are talking about a "garçonnière", a bachelor flat? One bedroom, one salon, a kitchen (or a salon/kitchen in one) and a lavatory/shower? Furnished, of course.

2000 to 2500 dirhams and not a penny more.

I'll add some gratuitous advice. Ignore PMs sent to your inbox or people making posts saying they have just the thing for you and/or asking you to contact them on their mobile number without making any offer public for the forum to evaluate. These people will be at the best, intermediaries whom you would have to pay or at worst, frauds or cheats.

You can do one of two things. Look at internet sites nearer the time and arrange to inspect properties when you arrive. Don't rent on the basis of photos on the internet. Or you can go to a physical agency once you are in Marrakech and see properties. Insist on meeting the owner and haggle over the price.

Hi, thanks for the price guide. Now how do I go about finding the apartment? I have been on numerous sites and they are all so expensive.

Go to the site air b n b they have some  great ones available

can you give me the exact web address please

That could be a good idea, but I understand from the TA Morocco forum that some are cons, so we are meant only to look at those with a verifiable history and reviews. I have no idea if this advice is right or not as I have never used the air bnb site, so this is just a heads up.

By the way, the cost I quoted you is for a month, which would be cheaper than renting by the day or week.

Hi, I have been quoted 3 times that price thru trip advisor and thru house trip for 2 wks. Oh where to start!

You are being exploited. Use local agencies once you arrive. Say you wish to rent for a month. If you are arriving in summer, remember that this is low season, so prices should be low too. Anything you find on TA would be something the owner wishes to rent out at rip-off prices to tourists. You really have to book an hotel for the first couple of nights and then hunt.

Have a look at blanee.com in the Marrakech section "agences de location". Most of the listings have website links so you can see what the various agencies are offering. However, you are probably doing this far too soon. You really need to look at the place rather than book online. What if some fantastic-looking place overlooked a stinking rubbish dump?

thanks, I think that is the best way - book a hotel for a few days and find somewhere I have actually visited. I just hope I find somewhere and dont spend 2 weeks in the hotel
regards Peta

I rented a lovely one bedroom a few times from the air b n b site was OK not too expensive near Victor Hugo school have a look on there

Hello,
My husband and i live in Windsor (UK) and he is Moroccan & spends his time between here and there. Its quite daunting trying to find accommodation there, especially close to or in the Medina but if you would like some help and he is there, he would be pleased to help you. You do not say when you are going but if you arrive, stay in a hotel and want to ring him, his number is 00 212 675 44 21 07 Abdel. He will be back here on 20th January if you would like to ring him whilst hes in the UK.
Regards
Leigh

Hi,
Check this place if its available:
airbnb.com/rooms/3527863

I'll repeat my advice, " Ignore PMs sent to your inbox or people making posts saying they have just the thing for you" including people who just this minute joined simply to "help you out".

Hi, I have had some pm's from just this type of person but ignore them - thanks for advice

Ignore all PM's, whether it's to do with rent or any other 'help' they are offering, and ask them to post on the public threads. Watch them scarper. This forum is infested with scammers. They only join up for one reason. To exploit foreigners. They don't post on the forums for a reason, preferring to hide in the background, and send private messages. I keep warning about them, as I know they are out there, and you admitted you have received PM's from them. Yet I get accused by a few nut-jobs on this site of being 'negative', when all I wish to do, is stop innocent people from getting scammed.

You've also had some nice pm messages just to show not everyone is bad on here there is a balance?

phoenixinuk wrote:

Hi, I have had some pm's from just this type of person but ignore them - thanks for advice

Also follow the same advice when you're in the country. Be careful. I wish you good luck in finding the right apartment.

Anyone who receives a PM they are not happy with then report it. If you get a dodgy post then report that too by simply clicking on the report tab at the top of the post. Then Admin can take care of it.

stumpy wrote:

Anyone who receives a PM they are not happy with then report it. If you get a dodgy post then report that too by simply clicking on the report tab at the top of the post. Then Admin can take care of it.

The problem is that I can spot a scammer a mile off. Others are far too trusting and naive.

@laduqesa

I find it is easier for me too probably due to my advancing years.... :lol:

I tend to mostly see older people getting scammed. Quite odd, given that they should know better.

stumpy wrote:

@laduqesa

I find it is easier for me too probably due to my advancing years.... :lol:

Lol. It's the same for me!

XB23 wrote:

I tend to mostly see older people getting scammed. Quite odd, given that they should know better.

I think that may depend on how well traveled you are and are IT savvy. Many older people are not and so cannot do online checks for any suspected scams. They tend to take things at face value too.

I get at least  40 or more scam emails a month asking for my bank details so that some poor dying person can donate 40% or more of the millions of dollars into my account so I can pass it on to my favorite charity.

Another is the job scam email too, receive around 10 or more of those too.

We are getting off topic here too.... :offtopic:

@ phoenixinuk > Back on topic ! Any update concerning your apartment search please?

Keep us posted. ;)

Thanks

Priscilla

stumpy wrote:
XB23 wrote:

I think that may depend on how well traveled you are and are IT savvy. Many older people are not and so cannot do online checks for any suspected scams. They tend to take things at face value too.

I get at least  40 or more scam emails a month asking for my bank details so that some poor dying person can donate 40% or more of the millions of dollars into my account so I can pass it on to my favorite charity.

Another is the job scam email too, receive around 10 or more of those too.

We are getting off topic here too.... :offtopic:

Just a quick reply to this and there won't be any further comments about this as it's slightly off-topic.

I had two things in mind when I posted my comment - Love scams & Money scams. Other online scams that older folks may fall for are forgivable, such as when downloading and installing software assuming it to be legit when it's not (virus/spyware etc), or clicking on links that take to a site masquerading as real (phishing). I can forgive that, but I can't forgive someone falling for someone from a very different country, usually with a huge age gap, and having nothing in common (apart from desperation? One looking for a visa, other looking for a companion?). I've seen a lot of these marriages, and I've never understood it, considering they are usually well-educated & in good paying jobs, and the other tends to be jobless & not highly educated. No amount of convincing them that they are heading for emotional & financial disaster seems to stop them in their track. And the other scam, is when they receive e-mails (usually originating from Africa), saying they will deposit a large sum of money, but need a little 'help' doing so. Or fake job offers, that require a payment to be made in order to proceed or whatever.

Hi, thanks for all the replies, I have not found an apartment yet - I want to visit in may for 2 or 3 weeks, within 10 min taxi to medina - small is fine as its just for me.
I have visited Marrakech quite a few times over the past four years and usually spot the scammers ! You would not believe how many local young men have declared undying love to me after speaking to me in the street for a few minutes! Quite impressive for a 61 year old grandmother lol. oh and the 'business opportunities' I have turned down just because I dont want to 'invest' in their crazy schemes. I still love Marrakech and its lovely - albeit crazy - people and cant wait to move there permanently
My search for an apartment goes on

Have a look at owners abroad or air bnb as I said if you want to have friends in to dine etc like you said you unfortunately and ridiculously have to pay for that stupid I know but they have there reasons

HI did you find anywhere? I am going out Monday to find a studio. I am staying in a riad I booked for 2 weeks in the medina for £140 whilst I search
I stayed just up from Guerliz for 2 months Nov and Dec but it was awful and way too isolated although I got to know some Europeans. I do love Moroccan people but I want to mix with both and feel secure
I tried City Red a great company and they offered lovely appartments in Guerliz about 3,500 mad with a great leisure complex and pool but I don't want cosmo I want somewhere more traditional plus about 2,500 is budget. Also they wanted like many agencies 2 months up front rent plus a month's rent for commission so any advice as to a good agency to use.
I agree so many want to help but in Morocco my advice is shut up and say nothing to no one. I learn't the hard way - just the same as it here until you know and trust someone.
I would be happy to share with European family for a while if anyone has a room with references.
I want security whilst out there a few months and then I will commit to more permanent.
As for the guys - it is a different subject but I think there is a different forum for that - definitely say no everytime and no even again.

Hi, thanks for all your advice x
I have secured an apartment thru Airbnb . very reasonable cost and managed to knock him down on price as I want to rent for 3 weeks.
Thanks for all your help
Regards Peta

Woop woop