Moving to Medellin soon

Buenos Dias,
Having lived in several countries over the past years I am finally on my way to Colombia.
Medellin to be exact, in a month or so.  If my husband and I like it, we will return for many more months this winter.
We have been lucky and adventurous enough to have lived in Nice, France, Barcelona, Spain, Budapest, Hungary, Buenos Aires, Argentina and several cities around Mexico for a year.
So if you have any questions about those locales, please let me know.
My husband is a retired Archeologist/Anthroplogist, I am an artist....but have held many office jobs in the past.  Oh, and I love to cook and bake (organic and whole grains only).
Since we will be in Medellin soon, I will be able to answer questions you may have.
So, here is to travel and exploring new cultures.

Hi I´m a retired New Yorker raised  in Central New York near Syracuse, lived twenty five years in White Plains,N.Y. (Westchester County) Been coming to Medellin since the early ninetiesand I´ve been in love with Colombia ever since. Have seen great changes in Colombia since then especially Medellin, the most progressive city in Colombia. Happy to have found this site so we can share experiences  and new found treasures. Really into discovering the hidden restaurantes  and small cafes which are starting to pop up throughout Medellin and its suburbs. If you need a restaurant recommendation feel free to ask. I´m constantly discovering more and more each day.

Your knowledge of Columbia is a treasure, especially since it goes back to the early 90's and to see the changes is helpful, to me anyway.
My husband and I were very interested in visiting and perhaps retiring to Medellin but in using Google maps and "walking" around two of the better neighborhoods (Poblado and Laureles) we found many nice homes surrounded with with electrified wires or steel fences.  All of a sudden I am mot sure how safe people are in their own homes.
This worries me.  I know that some parts of any city in the world can be dangerous but in nicer neighborhoods?  That concerns me.  Any comment?
Than you.
Bonnie

Bonnie,

First, a detail I have observed many times,but is very important....this is the correct spelling of Colombia. Second, concerning your concern about security; I have never been the victim of violence or crime in Colombia, especially in Antioquia where Medellin is located. I live in Envigado right next to Poblado. Poblado, Envigado, and Sabaneta are the best suburbs to relocate  from the states. In my opinion, these three suburbs have the best to offer expatriates.in value and safety. One has to remember Colombia is a third world country but we enjoy everything that the U.S. offers minus the violence perportrated against Americans at their malls, movie theatres, and other soft targets.
I know when one sees so much security, they first think of  crime being the reason. No to me the security bars, electrified fences., night watchmen are preventative measures and just that. When one is thinking about relocating and living in another country,it is very important to know your surroundings. This is true in Colombia as well as other cities of the world.Before buying a farm here and a house I spent time in each locale where the property was located and observed what was going on at least  two  months in advance.One has to be observant for anything that would detract from your investment.I noticed your from San Francisco a treasured city in the states. Medellin is very similar to San Francisco in many ways, very progressive ,excellent investment in potential ,both retail and residential, and its  beautiful location, hidden within the Valley of Aburra. At night, from above on the mountainside it has the most spectacular view of the city especially at night. Colombia is a hidden treasure where its past fame keeps many people away, thinking it is dangerous, but its an illusion of the of its past history. I would highly recommend that you give Colombia,especially Medellin a closer look, not by the Google,but by coming to visit in person and discover the hidden opportunities that exist. I bought my properties for less than $100,000 and now they are worth over a million dollars. And the great thing, this great return of investment still exists. The dollar is worth more than double what Colombia´s currency is which makes it a perfect place to retire or live. Hope this has helped you. Sorry about correcting you about the spelling of Colombia, but it is a pet peeve of mine especially when I see a deli in the states advertising 100% Columbian coffee. We expatrites our as proud of Colombia as we are of  the U.S. Colombia being one of the best alliances with the U.S.in South America. And the best thing is the weather and climate of Medellin. It is very much like San Francisco, but better it is always Spring here., always about 70 to 75 degrees. We don´t need air conditioning or have to heat our houses and we don´t have to worry about the big one,  I have always lived by a premise that people involved in negative or bad  things attract bad things that can be detrimental and dangerous to them no matter where they live.Remenber the three most important rules to real estate. Location....location...location!!! Take your time and make the best decision for your future. Ken

Hello Bonnie :)

Please note that your messages along with the relevant replies were moved from the New Members in Colombia forum to the Medellin forum for a better visibility and also to avoid your messages being off-topic on the first forum.

Thank you

Shaazia
Expat.com Team