Cost of living in Laos – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Laos in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Laos you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Laos?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

I cannot get  a response clicking on survey questions.

Accommodation can be pricey.
In the city 1 bedroom from $350 - $500 a month
Outside the centre from $200 - $250

Transport. I have vehicle but a taxi from airport to my place near Lao ITTEC is $6  tuk tuk $5

Education. International schools have ascending scale depending on pupils age and each school has different prices so the range seems to be from $2500 to $20,000 for a year. Uniforms, school outings etc are extra.

Bills. For water power, phones I pay $300 per month

Restaurants depend on where you eat. City centre prices are high, a mid range place from $25 to $35 for 2

Coffee from $2 depending where you go.

Meiji milk is 28,000 Kip

Ate a meal at a French restaurant called Chanmali and the meal cost 240,000 Kip or 29.48 US
Menu - Eggs Benedict, Croissant, Two small Lattes, Two Orange juice, Water, Burger with cheese, and small fries.

USB Modem 400,000 Kip plus 3G card 130,000. I think it was expensive?? I don't know for sure. Internet is definitely throttled after using 1 gig of data.

Meal price is about average.

The USB modem cost is okay as is the 3G card.

Okay,now I know there were NO survey questions.  This makes the survey pretty useless, in fact not a survey at all, just a small collection of bits and pieces.  I go into the cost of living for expats vs Lao in my 2014 book 'LAOS: Work in Progress'.  You can read it if interested.

Don't forget that this month, March, the ten-year survey is taking place throughout Laos.  Results will take a few months to get together and no doubt analyses will not agree 100%, but it should at least tell you how many people are in Laos, what groups they belong to, what schooling they have, maybe how long they live ~ questions as important as the price of noodles.

Thanks Robert for your appreciation and support of our initiative