Cost of living in Ivory Coast – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Ivory Coast in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Ivory Coast you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Ivory Coast?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

I didn't go there yet .. but based on my search and my onsite contacts .... it is a VERY expensive place to live.
Apt. Rental: Marcory Residentiel (300.000 CFA per room)
Taxis: should negotiate before getting-in
Also knew that electricity is very expensive
Local food is very affordable; Imported goods are excessively expensive
didn't knew there is a Cinema.

@ Agrebiste > Thank you for this sharing of information. :)

Priscilla

I believe it depends where in the country you want to live.
If it is in Abidjan, cost of living seriously depends on which district you want to live. But you should consider at least 250.000 F CFA for a small apartment. (I have the experience of living in Riviera Gulf)
Foreigners, specially the Lebanese live in Zone 4 and Zone 3 and somehow in 2plateaux.

Local foods are not too expensive however since all the goods are being imported from abroad, general cost of living is relatively high.
Generally speaking, I would suggest something like 800.000 F CFA for an average life of one persons. (excluding the rental fees)

Travelling by taxi from one district to the neighboring one would not be less than 2.000 F CFA for foreigners (specially those of white races!!)
You can also use woro woro (share taxis) which go just inside a district. They are not allowed to go outside and their origin is recognized by distinctive colors. (Yellow color for Cocody, etc...)
There is also a third option (which personally I don't recommend you to use) which is the mini-buses. They are significantly cheaper than shared taxis and also they travel between the districts but..... (they are not just so safe!)

Health costs are comperatively higher than those in Europe. However, you shouldn't expect to receive the same quality of medical services by paying even a higher amount. This also depends on your insurance coverage.

Electricity is also too expensive and of course not too much stable! It cuts near 2 or 3 times a week (depending on where your apartment is located).

As far as I know, there is no such a cinema in Abidjan so don't worry about it's prices and enjoy watching Canal+ channels which are the most popular TV channels in Ivory coast with a monthly charge of between 5000 to over 30000 F CFA (depending on the number of channels).