Nicaragua Canal effect on Panama

what do you think will happen to property prices
and everything else in panama once the Nicaragua Canal is open
I would like your opinions on this subject

I think Nicaragua will be the "novedad" for awhile but will sink back into it's old ways of traditionally doing things with massive corruption all over the place. I think once all attention is on Nicaragua, only then will Panama be the best place to live for retirees....just saying.

panama will have to raise all kinds of taxes to pay it's astronomical debt
property taxes are already at 2.1% people will sell out and leave
like in neighboring costa rica

I don't doubt it.....May the polticos have the vision to see what's coming.....

[Moderated: no political views here please ]

..Looks like you got your sh*t thrown to the wind...can't see your reply.

my reply was deleted
too many spies here claiming it was politically incorrect
never judge never condemn

yup. So...think you can rephrase your deleted comments into a more politically "ass-kissing" correct form?

Nothing is going to happen. Panamá is more than a Canal, even though the Canal gave it a huge jump start and still pumps in 3 or 4 billion a year into the governmet coffers.

the worthless U$ dollar, the national debt, the lack of production
high property taxes and land prices will steer everything into the ground
just look what is going on outside of panama
moby dick will take down all the dollar countries

Hi guys ,
I am really enjoying your posts here. Keep going. Great reading !!

The recent announcement concerning a new NIC canal by a Chinese backed firm is a unrealistic dream. First the expansion of the Panama Canal is well underway I viewed it in early December and was surprised to see the new lock system is separated from the existing one- not side by side to accommodate the larger ships and the pace of construction is uncharacteristic of Latin America meaning its proceeding quickly.  I also spend time in NIC especially the expat town of Granada. NIC is not going to allow Lake NIC to be contaminated by transiting ships.  Most of the waterfront and island home are owned by extremely wealthy foreigners or rich natives. Their monetary and political influence will kill this project before it ever get started.  The bottom line is there is not enough worldwide shipping of oversized ships to allow a new canal to ever recoup the investment.

El Cid, I think you are right. In the meantime there
will be conflict and I am staying away.
SmartOldLady