Help for the right Health Insurance for Type D six month visa.

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of moving to Plovdiv from the US, getting ready to apply for a Type D visa. One of the requirements is proof of insurance from a US based provider. I have used Blue Cross Geo Blue travel insurance for my short trips and they will cover the six months very inexpensively, around $500 US. Or I can apply for an ongoing health plan at the cost of around $350 a month.

Obviously I'd prefer to go with the inexpensive option but my concern for both options is if I actually need health care services, I would like to feel confident I have coverage that will be recognized by Bulgarian doctors/hospitals. I also have a couple of prescriptions I will need to keep filled while I am there.

I am applying for an residency permit once I get the Type D visa, once I have the RP, can I get insurance from a Bulgarian provider?

Any comments for suggestions are most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lawrence

Just my experience.,.. I buy the mandatory, minimum insurance through Uniqа (I would give you a link to their website, but there is no info in english). It costs 163 bgn (so, about 100 dollars) for a year. Almost nothing is covered (and I doubt I would use it if it is covered) but I find most Bulgarian healthcare to be so inexpensive that paying for american coverage wouldn't be cost effective.

I am not sure why they say you need US insurance before you leave... when I came two years ago I was just told I needed to purchase it at the border. (And honestly, I did not purchase it for a month or so).

Some examples:

VIP birth in a private center w/ 4 days of me and my husband staying in the hospital - 1400 bgn
Root canal of a molar with 3 roots- 150 bgn
Filling- 30-60 bgn
Visit to a healthcare professional- Between 20-50 bgn
x-rays- between 7-50 bgn

So, you can see that healthcare is much more affordable here than it is in the states (although not always affordable for locals, it depends on your source of income).

Once you get permanent residence you may be able to get onto the national healthcare system, if you are working here and paying into it.

Thanks so much for you comments, very helpful.

Yep, it's pretty cheap here so get the min. coverage and then pay as you go. However the conditions inside the hospitals are no where near what's in the US but they do have competent personal and adequate equipment. As for prescriptions keep inmind that they don't have the same medicine as in the U.S. and some are not even available in diff. brands so check that before you come here.

Hi Lawrence,

I would recomment a different approach: since your sister lives here, ask her to recomment a good private hospital in Plovdiv(if you are going to reside there) and then check which health insurance companies do they work with. You can also check Allianz.