Monthly expenses for student at University of Oslo

Hello all,

I will be coming to Oslo in April 2015. I am coming to university of oslo for PhD program. Right now I am in USA. I have PhD offer from a company. Company is paying me 35000 Norway currency per month as salary.

I wanted to know how much are the expenses per month for student?

I am living alone. So I can share one bedroom apartment with others.

Also I would like to know what are the expenses for food and all.

Please reply .

Thank you,

Narendra Mane :thanks:

Hello Narendra Mane  and welcome to Expat.com

While waiting for members to give you some tips on expenses, I invite you to browse through topics in our Cost of living in  Oslo section of the forum to gather some infos.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thank you.

Hey, hope this helps!

When I lived in Oslo in 2013 (Rented apartment at 11.5k NOK / month) I was earning 390k / year (roughly 32500 NOK / month) and got by very comfortably.  If you're not stupid with money and dont just want a party lifestyle you will easily be able to live in Oslo with 35k / month, is that pretax?

Feeding two people / month in Oslo cost me around 5k (including going out to eat 3-5 times and takeaway once a week), but we like to live comfortably and buy stuff we don't need.  An example of the cost of a simple meal would be chicken and rice (a packet with 4 chicken breast costs 70 nok).  So barebones living could cost you 500 nok / week, it's all about your lifestyle and comfort level. 

If you share an apartment which is 15mins away from Oslo city center via bus you could get away with 4k / month or thereabouts in rent.  If you want to live alone you will find it very tough to find anything below 9-10k / month.

You can get unlimited access to all public transport in Oslo for 600kr / month, that's all busses, trains (within a certain number of stops from the city) and trams (which all go frequently and punctually).

If you're going out to eat often, enjoy alcohol (which is expensive, especially if at a bar/restaurant) it will cost a lot.  That said with 35k / month you'll be fine tbh.

6k / month rent (including bills)
3k / month food+other household goods (high'ish estimate for one person imo)
600 / month transport (depends how far away you are, if you're central you can just walk...)

Lets say 10k / month if you can get away with paying 6k in rent.  Now sure there will be other things, phone, random other expenses such as sightseeing, museeums, cinema etc. so do factor that in as well.

- I've been living in Norway for 4 years, currently own my own house in Eidsvoll (30 mins North of Oslo) but lived in very centrally in Oslo for a year and a half.

Regards,
Gary