Career change advice

Hello everyone,

this is a pretty random post but I've been so confused lately that any type of advice would be appreciated. I am currently in my second year of teaching and am looking for a change of career, preferably into something related to educational leadership, management or curriculum coordination. I graduated with a BSc in Biology and currently am teaching high school biology at a school in Kuwait. I know I need to go back to school for a masters which means I have to quit my job to attend full time. Do you think I should also go back and get my Bachelors in education before my masters or would it be unnecessary since I already will be getting the masters and have actual teaching experience.

im a bit confused, what would be the difference between what you are doing currently and what you want to do eventually? i know quite a few teachers, Canucks & Yanks alike, that are currently pursuing their postgrad degrees whilst still working here.

would there be a way to skip the BSc in Education provided you have teaching experience in order to go for an MSc?

Yes, I can skip the BEd since I do already have teaching experience under my belt. I want to stop teaching and move into more administrative positions and at my age and level of experience, I think the best bet would be to do the masters. If I don't quit my job I'd have to get the masters online, something I'd rather not do. I'd rather complete the masters on campus, I feel I would benefit more from that.

Good day

You could do your masters part-time (if not local then on-line perhaps). Thus earning an income and experience while getting further qualifications.  Again what specific master's do you want to do?  Depending on the focus of the masters (curriculum development, instruction teaching, special ed., etc.) you may not need to start over from a bachelor.  If its education management why not do a management masters and then leverage you skills/experience? 

Having a clearer picture of what you want to do at the end helps to a large extent.  So you could look at applying what you learnt to high schools, colleges, or training institutes or large corporations. What environment do you want to work in?

The simple answer is to be clearer on what you want to achieve, what you like doing and what are you willing to invest. Write them down on large sheets of paper.  The clearer these answers are then clearer themes would appear that could guide you.

Attend an education conference (every so often there are ones in UAE) and network. Meeting people who do things you are interested in would help clarify what you need to do. I cold call several persons around the world that are doing jobs that I wanted to do and many gave me good information. Also conferneces help with accessing the personality of possible future coworkers. 

It's a broad and possibly generic response but from experience after chatting with many persons thinking of further education taking a broad view and then narrowing down to few options is usually better.

Mario

Thank you so much for your reply Mario. The thing is I am so confused and lost about what I want/should do that I am not even sure where to start in regards to which masters to get. I feel that being a subject teacher is definitely not for me. I know I would love to get into something more administrative and business-driven (since I also have a double major in Economics  along with my biology degree). Are you suggesting that I get into an MBA program instead of something like educational leadership? I wouldn't mind working in a school or corporate setting.

After typing I saw your response.  What type of admiistrative positiion? Corporate - example Petroleum training Insitute  - here in Kuwait or Educational - at a school or University.

To each he own but you could use an online degree as a self marketing tool much better than a brick and morter degree.  I have done some Coursera courses from Stanford (?) and the quality is quite good. But its what you are comfortable with and could afford.

I prefer a school or university setting, but like I mentioned before I would not mind something corporate.
I have been doing some research and I found positions such as education consultants or instructional coordinators very interesting, but like I mentioned, I am still in the research phase since I still have no idea what it is exactly that I want to do! (Hense my thread haha).

Currently I have a bachelors degree in biology and economics (double major will be done this summer)
2 years of teaching experience in Kuwait

I feel that masters wise it makes most sense to get into either an MBA or a masters in something related to leadership. As far as the online or on campus issue, I feel that I would benefit more from an on campus masters since I can give my studies my full attention. Or would it even matter? I am also still young (24) so I have enough time, at least I like to think so!

Thanks for all your help