Floods in Muscat & Area

Can someone please explain to me why floods often occur in Muscat & Area. If due to heavy rains the Wadi overflows, are there no proper drainage system which can divert the wadi over flowing water away from the populated area? Thanks a lot!

Oman is a predominantly desert country. Traditionally rain fall here has been few and far between.

I know for a fact that there has been times in the past, when for 2-3-4 years at a stretch there has been absolutely no rains. I have myself seen it happen. I have also seen the locals come out and rejoice when there is a slight shower - after a rather long dry spell !

I guess, since Oman has mostly experienced little or no rains, there is no proper drainage systems in place. For example, in a tropical country like say, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, etc, there is regular rainfall and accurately predictable monsoon seasons. So these countries are all well geared to handle the situation, unlike here in Oman.

Adding to the woes is houses and buildings have been constructed since of late almost across all the dry riverbeds (wadis) and in all the low-lying areas. So when nowadays when it rains, flooding occurs resulting in huge losses. Of course, now corrective measures are being taken on a war footing.

The day before yesterday's rains which were recorded at 35mm have costed the country no less than a whopping 85 million rials (US$220779221) ! Just imagine that !!

The spate of recent rains has to do something with the global climatic changes for sure.

Well explained! Thanks a lot sir!

good information...Mr.Sumitran.Do u know how safe is it to stay in wadi kabir  & qantab .Is it a low lying land. :(

special number wrote:

good information...Mr.Sumitran.Do u know how safe is it to stay in wadi kabir  & qantab .Is it a low lying land. :(

Hi special number,

Yes, Wadi Kabir is a low-lying area. But Qantab is certainly not a low-lying area. To reach Qantab, you have to cross a small mountain !

There are many other low-lying areas in downtown Muscat - Al Hamriya, Al Qurum, Wattayah, Al Khuwair, are all well known low-lying areas that get quickly inundated even with the slightest showers. Al Qurum is spread right across a wadi.

But now, with the many new bridges and flyovers, most of the water logging issues can be managed quite easily.

When it rains for more than a day, most areas in Muscat will be inundated in any case. It is a fact that water logging is indeed a major issue and unless you live in Qurum Heights, Madinat Al IIlam, Airport Heights or such elevated neighbourhoods, water logging is a nuisance you would have to put up with.