How is Beijing's air really like?

Hi everyone :)

This is my first posting. Hoping to get some feedback on the day to day air quality in Beijing. I am considering moving to Beijing in November but I am really worried about the air quality. If I browse on China Air Daily, it seems a little over optimistic compared to the news reports I am seeing. If I do a google search online, it seems to return only nuclear winter pictures and I'm not sure if either side is representative of the actual day to day life of someone living in Beijing? Could anyone share their real life experience please? How frequent are the bad days and how bad does "bad" air days feel? And how is winter compared to spring, summer and autumn?

Excluding the cost of accommodation, is it possible to live fairly comfortably in Beijing on RMB12,000 to 14,000 a month? i.e. without being extravagant, eating in hotels, etc. but maintaining a decent standard of living of a developed country?

Thank you so much. Any feedback would be so much appreciated :)

(duplicate post deleted)

Objective data is available, and not just from the US Embassy, Chinese government sources are also useful. Depending on data, Beijing is either the second or third worst capital city in the world after New Delhi and Ulaanbaatar.  Unfortunately Beijing is bordered by Hebei province, where some of the dirtiest, coal-burning towns in China are located.

The worst days are generally in the winter, however other seasons are affected. As I write this the latest report is for an AQI (air quality index) of 145 which is borderline "unhealthy" and PM 2.5 is 53 ug/m3, although it appears to be a normal sunny day and follows a few days when we have had rain.  If you come to Beijing, I'd suggest buying a good mask and an air cleaner to use at home.

I wanted to give some references, but this software won't let me do this. However you can google for aqicn.org and also check Wikipedia. Their Beijing article has a good section on air pollution.

Hi Skakagrall

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

I have lived and worked in Ulaan Batar going out on breaks via Beijing. Pollution is really really bad in both places during the winter months.

I currently living in Beijing, Hai Dian district, the air quality is fine with me, I do not feel any sick or uncomfortable with the air, and not so many local wear masks. Another district which is Chao Yang, the central part of Beijing, near Hai Dian, the air quality also fine.

But it is quite difficult to have blue sky~ cannot take good pictures when sightseeing.

Haidian and Chaoyang are inner city districts. Pollution levels are typical for Beijing. The US Embassy which produces reliable PM2.5 data is in the middle of Chaoyang. Incidentally, in my experience many, many people in Chaoyang wear masks.

I have been living and working in Beijing's Chaoyang District since 2003.

Press like stories, if there are millions  of people walking down the streets without masks they will take picture of the one person wearing a mask.

Is Beijing polluted - Yes

Is it "the End is Nigh" - No

Do loads of people wear masks - No

Do some people wear masks - Yes NB most of the people wearing masks are wearing one's that are useless / designed to stop spreading germs not to stop inhaling pollutants.

I have a 2yr old son, We don't wear masks. We don't have an air filter at home and don't understand what all the fuss is about.

The Doctors we know say that Beijing's pollution is no worse than having one cigarette per day.

Hmm. I am married to a doctor and I certainly don't know any doctors who say the "pollution is no worse than having one cigarette per day"! I'm also not sure I know any one-cigarette-a-day smokers either! It's probably not a good comparison since pollution is intermittent and the smoking habit is normally constant. (There again some doctors smoke, so they are not automatically the fount of all wisdom on this.)

You can now buy a small air purifier for 200 rmb that is efficient at removing small particles from the air. I've got one and I use it. The design of some of the masks is more problematic as noted above.

I'm sorry, but it IS pollution. The Chinese news is the only one saying Beijing has fog. I lived in New York city which is basically the same hemisphere and on the ocean, and we never had "fog." You can taste the pollution in the air in Beijing. Fog doesn't taste and smell like metallic dust. In many Chinese cities lung cancer is the leading cause of death: so seven years in Beijing might not be long enough to kill you, but it's very risky.

There is abundant evidence available now that living in a city with high incidence of pollution will shorten your life span. I've seen a figure of five years as the difference between north China (more polluted) and south China (relatively clearer of coal-related pollution).

The Chinese government are fairly candid about the situation these days. After all they monitor pollution and publish the figures.

On the same note, does anyone know where I can purchase one of those fabric face masks in Beijing?  I will be in Beijing in October, and would like to get some protection from the pollution.  Also, I also want to obtain a travel electric hot pot/kettle for noodle cooking and water purification.  Where would I need to go to get one?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Natooke, the cycle shop in Wudaoying Hutong (in Yonghegong) were selling the (British) Respro Techno masks. These are of good quality, but a bit on the heavy side.

I've also tried the 3M respiratory masks usually used for heavy spray works (car manufacturing). They are definitely helpful and you can literally see how the filtermaterial becomes dark after some days of heavy smog.

I was wondering if you guys could provide me any tips on reliable air purifiers? I would like to keep my living room clean (40sqm) and am willing to pay >5000RMB if necessary. Somebody recommended me BlueAir but I'm not sure about the technical features....

Hi Gretchen,

Check out the 400 series of BlueAir on the below page:-

BlueAir Cleaner

For your size of room, I guess its convenient.