Where should i settle?

Hi ,
My name is Irfan from Mauritius and am planing  to move to Canada may be in 2 to 3 month.I have already sent my passport and docs for pr to Nairobi, hopefully should get it back by the end of this month or next month.
Im a 3d visualizer/cad operator working in a construction company here. I have 8 years of experience in 3d imaging, construction and interior design drawings and presentation.
I have applied for many jobs but no response till now.
Could you please help me with some advices where should i settle. I was thinking of Mont real but will i get a good job and house at reasonable price there?

Could you please advice me?
Thanks,  :)

Hi Irfan,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Canada forum in order to give much more light to your questions.

For some starting information, i invite you to download the Canada Expat Guide, you will see that it comprises of a lot of useful information.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

The question I have for you is what kind of PR did you apply for? Was to Canada's Federal government or to Quebec's immigration? If you did get the later than you'll have an extra province to settle in. And if you knew French, then that'll be an advantage too. Montreal is a great city. Its actually very bi-lingual per say. But at the same time, its gives people that vibe that its really not a North American city. You'll feel transported to Europe actually when you visit it (at least that was how I felt when I visited it). The good thing is that its a sizeable metropolitan, so jobs are more and but best part is housing is cheaper than Toronto (for buying, I'm am not too sure about renting but go use Kijiji.ca and see roughly how much it is).

I just plucked in "CAD operator" search string for Montreal in jobbank.gc.ca and it gave about 20 hits for jobs
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/report-eng.do? … tion=final

and for "CAD programmer" about 13 hits,
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/report-eng.do? … tion=final

Montreal also has a nice, clean and rather well connected subway system, so you will be able to get around town easily.

Now, having said all that, even if you do have a PR that was issued by Quebec government, doesn't mean you can't choose to settle in other provinces in Canada. Also let me correct my earlier statement - if you do have a PR issued directly by the Federal Gov's CIC, you can settle anywhere, including Quebec, the only problem is when you want to access some of the extra provincial services, would you face some problems. Also, landing in Quebec directly may be an issue.

Hi, thank you for the reply. Actually i have applied for Quebec Permanent Residence - Federal Skilled Worker. I am bi-lingual and would like to live in a place where im not so apart and can integrate easily. The main city i have applied for living was Montreal. I have applied for many online jobs adverts but till now no response. I have sent my passport in Aug to Nairobi and i have seen in some blogs that after the 15 of Jan they will start sending back the passport. If i get a job offer before coming that would have been a great help for me else i will have to show a provisional sum of 15000 CAD to be able to stay for 3 month according to what  CIC immigration site says.
One other thing during what season should we come as here in Mauritius we live in a tropical Island and I dont know how the seasons are in Canada and which is the best period to come so that we can start adapting gradually to the weather.
Thank you in advance
Irfan