I want to marry a Moroccan

I am a US citizen living in Canada as a permanent resident. I want to marry a Moroccan man. I need to know what documents I need to produce in order to make the contract in Morocco.

Have a look at the other thread on this subject just below yours. Read all the posts, there is a variety of views.

Thank u

I see you're an American national, living in Canada, and I assume he is just a Moroccan national. If my assumption is right, I don't think I've got anything else to say to be honest. Apart from, good luck. You will need a lot of it.

Good luck check your own embassy and the Moroccan embassy you need loads of documents and it differs in country to country so check with the official bodies but you will need payslips passport and birth certificate you will need to get a impediment aswell in your own country it's not easy but soooooo worth it in the end be prepared c for hard work and lots of travel best wishes

Care to expand on that cryptic message?

Make sure he is not from a poor family- or before you know it, you will be refurbishing his/parents house, starting businesses for his family...or even worse, will be the bridge that brings his whole family to Canada.
Like the other post said- good luck- the very best of luck....

TariqTaz wrote:

Make sure he is not from a poor family- or before you know it, you will be refurbishing his/parents house, starting businesses for his family...or even worse, will be the bridge that brings his whole family to Canada.
Like the other post said- good luck- the very best of luck....

There was a story today about how Internet scammers conned British holidaymakers out of £2.2 million. Huge amounts of money is being lost by foreigners/expats/holidaymakers, because of internet fraud (including marriage fraud). As long as there is so much money to be made, and especially so easily (all you need is an internet connection!), there will always be threads such as this, asking about how to get married in Morocco. Why bother to work, when you can simply make thousands by getting yourself attached to a foreigner. No wonder why this site, and many others, have posts like this. And that will continue to be the case, as long as it remains easy to con foreigners, and it probably will judging from the amount of threads I come across!

Hello Jamila,

I certainly hope that you are prepared to move to Morocco should you marry.

You should also be aware that MARRIAGE IN ITSELF DOES NOT GUARANTEE PERMANENCY, not in Canada and not in the USA. Both Citizenship and Immigrations Canada and USCIS are going to take a long hard look at a recent marriage to a citizen from Morocco with a strong view toward it being nothing more than a "marriage of convenience" with the sole purpose of obtaining permanency which one would otherwise NOT be entitled to. You are both going to have a very difficult time convincing the authorites in either country otherwise.

I'd strongly suggest that you make this fact quite clear to your man in Morocco. Let him know in no uncertain terms that there is ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEE that he will obtain a visa, unless he is fully qualified for it regardless of the marriage. I think you'll find the chances are that you "friend" will quickly lose interest in the whole idea and vanish quicker than an ice cube in the hot Moroccan sun. Wait and see.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Jamila, the post above is the voice of experience and wisdom.

Drop this idea of marrying this man. Or at the least state that you want to live in Morocco as the residency process for Moroccans to come to Canada is too onerous. He will run so fast that you won't see him for dust.

Why is it that we never get thread-starters from another 3rd-world country, or even second, asking us about the process of marriage in Morocco? Why is it always an American/Canadian/British/French/Australian etc? Only once or twice was it from someone based in a developing country. Rest are all Westerners.

There is really nothing to add. That says it all about why these mixed-marriages are taking place, and ending in disaster, which is always inevitable, given the many differences (age, culture, education, socioeconomic status, religion, language and the list goes on).

another point is to be sure he/she but mostly he ...doesn't have "any other family"...I mean "family book".
the heritage which is quite complicate here in morocco especially for women.
Most of the mix marriage I know are from Spain and/or France...they married there and with the time (means crisis) they have come to Morocco. For their wifes have been easy. They obtains the residence easily, but I cant say for any other countries.

Where is the family book kept?

I will try to compile some information and I will tell you.....what I know (and I am in morocco now for 6 years) is that many women didn't know about it till their husbands die.....so be prevent.

I will let you know or if there is someone who can tell us...can post it ...meanwhile...

hi again, a friend has told me that nobody has the right to ask for "certification of marriage" in the community except for example the wife if the man died...

From 2004 the "tribunal" has got all the information....but not before this time...so...if he has any papers from 2004 till now...in case of trying to marry you ...as soon as he will "collect" all his papers he will be caught.

I would just like to add to this ...I started talking to my now husband 4 yrs ago..he from morocco me Scotland. I was going a very difficult time my now ex husband had cheated on me..so I started divorce proceedings, this when my now husband introduced himself..always came across very charming and respectful. I made it clear I was going a tough time and was not interested in any man. He pursued me ..I admit I was vulnerable. But also I was careful as I knew of men like this. He asked me within 3 wks to marry. At time I laughed thinking.I've never heard of anything more ridiculous. Every nite we spoke.. eventually the inevitable happened. I fell ..hard . I went to morocco to meet him and stay with his family, I found them to be very warm, hospitable people, from a good area and no poverty at all. He proposed again at that time. He is 18 yrs younger, I have 3 family. I told him under no circumstances will I allow another woman in our lives and no children either, due to my age etc. He accepts this. We have been together 4 yrs now, married last year exactly this month in Morocco. He has been refused twice just recently his visa JUST for to visit for 2 weeks to meet my family and spend time with me..He was not even applying to stay here as we already know he can't. I have little health issues so I can't work full time so I don't meet criteria. So ..as it stands, I now have to move to morocco, leave my family behind and home I created for him and I... by the way.. I moved to different area to accommodate him ..mosques halal shops etc. So I have to give all up and move there, which ok I don't mind so much either I give up on my marriage or make a go of it, but I have my concerns ..climate, I'm not great in intense heat, I went to morocco.twice..May and November so I have not experienced intense heat as yet.. also my family.. all adults now..I am confused about my future and.I do have my concerns..this is my story, I just want to share with you all..wish me luck ! Regards

Its not all gloom and doom as it may seem. I know a lot of women who have married Moroccan  men and even a couple of Australian  men who have persevered the family red tape to marry Moroccan  women
There are lots of horror stories of women being used for visas. As ling as you and your partner are willing to live in Morocco  if thats what it comes to.. and he understands and doesnt care about this  then  dont be too concerned
I wish you all the beat and hope you have a long and happy marriage; wherever you live :)

Thank you.so much Katie, appreciate your good wishes..regards lynn

Lynn19, was it difficult to marry in Morocco I am from Northern Ireland and hoping to marry next year and live in Morocco , most times I only see people who are from America etc you are the first from UK so was hoping you could give me some pointers many thanks and good luck

Hey lizsnap...it's fairly straightforward Tbh..as long as you make sure you have your papers with you..birth cert, police disclosure, proof of address, bank statements going back at least 6 months, cert of non impediment, you must have that..never took me long to obtain it from my local registrar, if you were married Bfr then divorce decree, or if your husband has died then you need proof of that also..I think that's about it...my husband lives in casa, so the most tiring for us was few trios on train back and forth..as u do need to see several people in authority to get your papers all stamped, also all your papers must be translated into arabic and all stamped. So be prepared for to spend money on that..we split the cost of it all..it's not too expensive but just bear that in mind. We had a lovely simple family nikkah marriage at his home with all his family unfortunately mine could not attend. Lovely food made by his mother and sisters some music and a little dance..we had a video and photographs taken professionally which are lovely. I had 3 gorgeous dresses I changed into. A lady was there for my personal needs to assist me change..beforehand abdoul had paid for me to be treated like a queen..facial..hair done and make up..I FELT like a queen that day..a day I will never forget ..I have a wonderful husband and new family..I wish you all the very best..anything else I can help please ask...good luck xxx 😀

Thanks for that lynn19 , I know it is going to be a long trek too as Saeed lives in Guelmim so it's a big journey, our wedding is going to be traditional samarian so it will be fun too and I can't wait and thank you

You will get their in the end..it will be worth it all..have a fab time..xxx

Thank you and I will

Best of luck

Lynn19 wrote:

I would just like to add to this ...I started talking to my now husband 4 yrs ago..he from morocco me Scotland. I was going a very difficult time my now ex husband had cheated on me..so I started divorce proceedings, this when my now husband introduced himself..always came across very charming and respectful. I made it clear I was going a tough time and was not interested in any man. He pursued me ..I admit I was vulnerable. But also I was careful as I knew of men like this. He asked me within 3 wks to marry. At time I laughed thinking.I've never heard of anything more ridiculous. Every nite we spoke.. eventually the inevitable happened. I fell ..hard . I went to morocco to meet him and stay with his family, I found them to be very warm, hospitable people, from a good area and no poverty at all. He proposed again at that time. He is 18 yrs younger, I have 3 family. I told him under no circumstances will I allow another woman in our lives and no children either, due to my age etc. He accepts this. We have been together 4 yrs now, married last year exactly this month in Morocco. He has been refused twice just recently his visa JUST for to visit for 2 weeks to meet my family and spend time with me..He was not even applying to stay here as we already know he can't. I have little health issues so I can't work full time so I don't meet criteria. So ..as it stands, I now have to move to morocco, leave my family behind and home I created for him and I... by the way.. I moved to different area to accommodate him ..mosques halal shops etc. So I have to give all up and move there, which ok I don't mind so much either I give up on my marriage or make a go of it, but I have my concerns ..climate, I'm not great in intense heat, I went to morocco.twice..May and November so I have not experienced intense heat as yet.. also my family.. all adults now..I am confused about my future and.I do have my concerns..this is my story, I just want to share with you all..wish me luck ! Regards

Lynn, thanks for sharing this beautiful story. I think for most people, the age difference (him being 18 yrs younger) and the fact that you can't or wouldn't have kids again is a HUGE red flag for most people familiar with Moroccan culture. For started, he's an Arab/Muslim man, and his family would most want him to have sons...that's just the way it goes. Once you start living together and that pressure for a child start to build, attitudes will change towards you. Secondly, the age difference simply means you guys are from different generations with most likely different interests. Most of relationship is about spending time with someone and doing things you both enjoy. It's easy to date someone a thousand mile away than to live with them everyday. The closer you are to a person, the more vulnerabilities and dislikes become apparent. I don't know you, but I would say your situation might be more favorable to you if your friend/boyfriend was an older man who too have already had kids, is divorced and is simply looking for someone to spend his remaining years with. 

Your embassy keeps refusing visa to him for good reasons. They've seen this story plays out more than a thousand times--older European woman who meets a far younger Moroccan man, thinks she's in love, thinks he loves her, marries him, moves him to the West, divorces with lots, and lots, of regrets.

So trust your intuition. As the song goes, he may be the beauty or the beast, the famine or the feasts, may turn each day into heaven, or hell. He may not be what he may seems.

Godspeed in what happens for you.

-Thomas

Thomas thank you so much for your reply to me. We have several times over the years been in argument over this or that but always seem to get back on track. We are still together and of course I have my concerns and insecurities, and as I'm the older woman it's natural for me to feel that way. I do think of several issues that keep creeping back into my head..like why when they are so family orientated is he happy to accept no children. Why would he choose me over the young stunning Moroccan women who have same beliefs in religion, similar age, from same area, who can bear them children. These Questions will never give me peace of mind. I have asked him several times and I get the same answer, it's destiny. Now that he can't come here..I was waiting to see how things would work out. He at the moment is trying to get a job away from his own area, and apartment. I do not want to live to close to his family, without sounding mean, I want some space. It is hard to know what it's like to live with someone and be happy if you've only had 7 weeks all in together. And only 1 as husband and wife. So I will return soon hopefully and spend some alone time if we get peace to do so..I will evaluate everything and take it from there. Thanx again and I like honest opinions and answers as this what I need ..regards lynn

What happened with Jamila in all of this?! Com on Guys!

Hello, I read your post regarding marriage in Morocco, I have some questions regarding this process, and wanted to ask if you would be willing to answer any?