Anyone with experience exporting from Colon?

I'm moving to Panama and always had an interest in exporting.  I've researched much on the subject and at one time even had a license to do so, went to Colon, met with sellers, consolidators but never felt enough knowledge to go through with it.  I know if I decided to follow this path theres much more to learn but wondered if anyone has any experience with this.  Thanks

Hi ,

I am French and I'm leaving soon to Panama to study the possibilities of business with the country. I have a company with good financial means and I am looking to diversify export- import. If you see an interest to contact me I will answer you with pleasure. ( I will be in Panama from 5 to 22 february )

Jack

Dear Jack,
Thanks for responding to my post.  If you do not have and find you need an attorney while in Panama, I have an excellent one in Panama City I can refer you to who studied in the states, speaks Englilsh and you can trust. (A rare quality in Panama)..  We are currently partnering up in a medical tourism company I am forming.  When I was there his partner also exported and if still there may be beneficial. Things are not like in this country.  Everyone is helpful and attorneys cheap.I can also hook you up with other English speaking contacts should you need any in the city.and possibly some locals from Colon who speak English.
I lived in Panama City aproximatly 6 months while studying how to export.  I had my company formed, license and bank accounts set up but  never felt confident enough in my knowledge to actually proceed with any shipments..I did learn a basic lesson; when it comes to business and Colon,  the country is still very machismo and Spanish is a plus negotiating with the wholesalers, consolidators, storage facilities, ect.  Although I may be the brains and money, a good local male Panamanian haggler is a  real asset.  Like most Central American countries, rules are bent depending on who you know. Because of my contacts, I was able to drive into the free zone, load the car, leave without ever being checked.  Security even watched the car for me!
I would like to learn more on the particulars of this business and feel the best way is to work with someone who already is in the field.I am very hands on and must understand every aspect of the process, from the supplier, shipping, negotiating, storage, customs, ect.  If you would be willing to teach me what I don't know and mentor me I would be very interested in working with you and seeing what we could do together.
I am in process of finalizing the sale of my last business here,to be completed Feb 28. I estimate 1 - 2 more months to get my affairs in order before going to Panama.  I have a lot in Volcan, on the other side of the country from the city,, which I plan to build a house on.
I do not know what trading is like between Panama and Costa Rica now but when I was there I was interested in exporitng electronics from China to Costa Rica, retailing them once there as well as selling to other stores.  I have a network on people in Costa Rica as well as a close friend who owns one of the largest trucking companies for frieght in Panama. I hoped to bring them through the canal, freight them  to Costa Rica where I had people to pick them up at the warehouses after customs cleared. These same people own retail stores in San Jose where I wanted to sell them myself as well as try to strike deals with other stores to puchase from me. All perfect on paper but unfortunatly I was called back to the states before able to research if it would succeed.
I've learned since that you really should visit the manufacturer and have a contact working for you in China.  I may be able to reach someone who once offered to put me in touch with his contacts in China.  He, himself, owns a manufacturing company there for cell phones and his contct is the manufacturer that makes everything for Walmart.  Ntworking is a great thing.
What I can bring to the table, my contacts as well as equal cash.  If this interests you and you feel it beneficial, , please send me your plan of what you want to export, estimate of what you believe the initial cost to start is and background of what you have done in this industry.  Even if not much experience, given what we both know as well as our interest in the industry, it should be doable and profitable.
I hope to here from you.  You can use my personal email [email protected].
Thanks,
Jayne