Moving to Luanda...

Hi there, congratulations for such a good blog!

Dear All,

This blog is very informative indeed! Though I have additional questions, I hope you can help me because I need answers within 1 or 2 days.. waah!

First of all, I am a Filipino, working in Dubai. My fiance is here as well. However, due to some reasons, expats are having problems finding another job here. I am working as a metering analyst for a district cooling company, and the pay is not enough for me to save money since I have relatives in the Philippines who depend on me.

Recently, I've had an interview from Luanda for a Facilities Management company. The employer said that I will be assigned in the palace. (not sure what palace exactly if there are lots there..could be the presidential palace?)

The package includes the following:

- free accomodation (own room , with kitchen and toilet)
- annual ticket
- medical insurance
- food allowance ($500)
- basic salary ($1500)
- free cleaning, laundry, internet, mobile

The employer in Luanda wants me to join them immediately. They are willing to give one month salary as compensation. I don't know if the basic pay is competitive when it comes to living in Luanda. The job offer is on its way and the agency wants me to sign it immediately so they can start processing my employment.

Questions are:

1. Do you think it's worth it? My fiance is here in Dubai though we both can't save that much.
2. My current employer requires 1 month notice though I haven't informed them of this yet.
3. Are there Filipinos in Luanda?
4. What are the modes of sending money?

Let me stress that although I don't save that much here in Dubai, I am happy here because I am with my fiance and I am part of Singles for Christ community. It's hard for me to live Dubai primarily because of them.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hi, I'm french and will be soon arriving in Luanda. I'm looking for a house downtown (min 3 Bdrm, water tank and generator). I also need to know if there are good international mooving agencies and if it's easy to import a car.
Thank you all for the help you might bring.

Hi all,

Very interesting forum! I'm from Tunisia wotking for an oilfield services company which will transfer me to Luanda with my wife and kid of 2 months. Accomodation is not a problem since it is part of the deal. I will probably live in Sul. Any information concerning Sul will be much appreciated. Is Malaria a real problem there. Can my wife enjoy the place somehow when I will be working offshore. Do they teach english or Portuguese in Sul. Is it a big city? Does she need a car? Can she go to a gym club. Can she find all necessary stuff for our kid. Can we find a crech for him,as I said previously he has only 2 months. How big is Sul. Can we bring food with us to Angola (especially meat).Would like to find people their with their family so my wife can make friends (she speaks french and arabic). As u understand, my main concern here is to make the life as better as I can for my family even if the city is not really nice.

Many thanks

Wissem

Hi Miki

You are asking about moving companies - we are leaving in 2 weeks & it seems that there is only one company for moving - you get referred to it by all other companies. Costs are prohibitive - I hope your employer covers everything!

We have had quotes from this company (which comes with good refrences & we found the people helpful & friendly & they speak fluent English) and DHL (not such a positive experience at all) but regardless it would seem that about 300kg would cost about US$10,000 to get from here to Dubai. We were told 1.5 cubic metres to Sudan cost $6000 (a friend did that last year). So we are leaving the same way we arrived - with excess luggage (because you can't send parcels by air from Luanda on any of the airlines).

People do ship here (by container) but that can be very slow to clear customs (but much better than 2 years ago). Anything you think you need right away you would be wise to bring with you. I would suspect that buying a car here would be much less trouble than trying to bring one in (as you will need to have a car when you arrive & who knows how long you would have to wait for yours). We bought a new motorcycle here & it was relatively easy to do & very easy to find a buyer when we knew we were leaving.

Good luck with your move
Sue

hi guys,

i'm a Filipina i have a job offer in Luanda, Angola.i am curious about the lifestyle in that country. what are the pointers you can give me before i accept the offer. i'm somewhat puzzled  with your comments above.i need someone to tell me honestly if Angola, is best  to change my work here in manila. what are the good place for accommodation?My employer told me  that the accommodation is part of my contract. thanks for your reply in advance.
thanks.

ms taurus

hello everyone,

I'll be relocating to Luanda following my husband posting there for about 2 years. I'm not sure if spouse visa will allow me to find a job (IF i can find one). But I'd like to know if anyone else is on the same boat i.e. not working. And what are the usual activities that non-working women (not yet a mom) do?

Thank you in advance

hi again.

good to see lots of replies and updated information.

All Pakistani/Indian expats welcome guys.

Hi Everybody,

I'm new here and would like to know about luanda as i got an offer for luanda.

The company has offered me 1500 USD with accomadation and food.

Is it a fair deal for luanda plz reply soon as i have to make a decision quickly.

thanks in advance.
Laxman

Hi Laxman,

it depends which company you are coming, which position and what is your profile.

If accomadation, food & transport is covered by your company and you are coming alone (without family), what expenses you are expecting are International calls (which are expensive), entertainment (which is expensive) as Luanda is the 3rd Expensive place is the world. But in any case i believe that you will be able to save more that $1,000 per month very easily (as food & accomadation are the biggest expenses here)

Hi,

Based on 2010 servey Luanda has become most expensive city now.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew … 47117.htmlhttp://money.cnn.com/2010/06/29/news/in … /index.htm

Thanks,
Ahmed

@Faridpasha.

Ahmed310 is absolutely right, Luanda is the most expensive city of the world. not only in 2010 but was in 2008 and 2009 too.

Anyhow, for expatriats it still has alot of things.

Hi All

My name is Natalie and I'm currently living in Cape Town,South Africa. My husband works for an American company and is required to move to Luanda Angola. i have decided to move with him. Hopefully,if all goes well,we should be firmly ensconced by September '10

I do believe its an exciting opportunity and an incredible adventure,but obviously I am nervous,and I have a ton of questions....

Firstly,I am a hairstylist and make up artist...(Mainly Caucasian)....
What(if any) work opportunities are there for me? I am prepared to work in a salon, but suppose I will need a visa for that.....Will I need a visa or permit to work from home? What are the protocols if for example I opened a shop(salon) of my own....? Are there expat-women willing to try new hairstylists? How do I advertise among the expats?

Also,I believe food is really expensive....fresh veggies and fruit in short supply...Are there farmers markets and if so,what is the quality like?Are there butchers and is it safe to buy the meat(don't wanna buy goat posing as beef....lol) Any Asian markets for Tofu etc.?

And what about diseases such as Cholera,Dysentery and Malaria....? What are good precautions?What is the water like(hard or soft?) I've heard of the tanks for rainwater,etc...safe to drink,or does one use bottled water for everything? How expensive is clean safe water? Once boiled,will tapwater be ok for tea and coffee?

What is the crime rate like,and what types of crime....?

Cellphone services? How difficult is it to get connected to a cellphone service? What are the call rates like?Best service providers?
Same questions apply for internet....

Any reasonable sport/fitness outlets? Gyms,golfclubs,etc....?

Any good Portuguese language schools for adults,or tutors( we are childless,so don't need any schooling,lol)?

How difficult/easy is it to receive "care packages" from home,like canned goods or sauces,etc. Does it go via the postal service from the airport,and how dependable is the postal service?
Do they have a "hold" on such items at customs?

Ugh,my list goes on and on.....!! But lets start with these questions first,and hopefully someone responds.....

Thanx in advance

Natalie

Welcome Natalie,

Regarding your questions I will try to respond with the best of my knowledge. I apologize for my straight tone.

You are a beautician means african hairstylist and makeup artist. good.  Welcome here to earn big money.

Angolan girls are crazy about their hair styles and changing their wigs/hairs every months.  An avergage girl pay Akz 2,000 to Akz 4,000 just to put the hair on head.  Hair cost is separate.  So if it is possible for you to bring Brazillian, American, Indian, hairs and wigs as much as you can bring them and they will go starting $ 150 to $ 300 each.

Makeup artists are not very inn, as Angolan girls and boys dont care about make up.  They only care about Bear Dance and Sex. thats it. Normally girls only put nail polish and lipsticks and thats it.

Starting your business:  You need a work permit, if not you can bribe police men, police fiscals, immigration police and even Dos Santos (President of Angola) to do any thing.  For a small shop ALVARA Commercial (Trading Licence) would be required an can be easy obtained if followed the above steps.

Advertise:  Be professional, clean, well arranged, and put a little higher price than others.  The easiest way to advertise. Have some fascinating brazillian or portugal name on the sing borad and you are on air.

In Angola, no farming, so no farmers market, you can only find some vegies and fruits in super market as well as the same out side on roads. Good super markets like Shopright, Inter Market, Casa de Frescos etc are here to deliver most of grocery needs.

Deceases.  Be Carefull about malaria, STDs (HIV Aids and others), Hepotate B.C.(Yellow Fever). Precautions are use mosquito nets.  Dont even think about drinking TAP WATER, drink bottled water instead otherwise will see you soon in hospital.  Boil it good if u want to make tea of coffee.

Crime Rate:  Much Much Much less than south africa but still be careful if u dont look like angolan.  Thieves are all around but they dont kill or fight if you dont argue or resist.  While in car, look the doors with windows up always.  But if u are unlucky and they caught you somewhere dont be fool to resist or look around for help, even police will not help even if they are observing all this (specially if u dont look like angolan) rather they encourage to robe strangers.

Plus police is also some sort of thieves here, they observe this man is not angolan, stop him, ask him this and that, even if you have all docs you have to give them something.

Cellphone just buy UNITEL its much better than the other competitor MOVICEL but in internet TV CABO, if u want wire net, if u want convenient but relativly slow, MOVICEL Broadband USB drive net is best. $ 100 per month.

Fitness gys are all around but expensive.

Purtugees Language school are here, i know one at Raina Ginga its good one.

U mean importing Car and canned food.  Importing car is good indea but will take around 2 to 3 months in total.

Think it may be helpful for you.

Hi Imranjee

Thank you for your reply, although I think you misunderstood some of my questions....

I am a Caucasian Hairstylist, meaning I don't do much African/black hair....I cut and style,can put on a wig or put in some weaves, but cannot work with the chemicals they use.....So I mainly stick to doing European/Asian hair...That's why I'd like to advertise among the expat families....

By "care packages" I meant packages from home,with stuff like canned foods and brand-sauces that one may not get there.... We have a Chutney called Mrs. Balls...it is delicious, but only a SA "thing" and I was hoping my mum could send me some whilst in Angola....

The company my husband works for will supply a car and driver...

Thanks for the other info,VERY helpful!!!

Cops throughout Africa are the same....so are the criminals,I guess....You don't argue,you just hand over what they want.....:mad:

Thankfully I am in a commited marriage, so HIV and other STD's are not my concern....Cholera is though....lol, I will boil that water until it is no longer water....:D

Anyone else have some pearls of wisdom for me....?

Thanx
Natalie

Hi,

Asian/European hairstylists are in scarce in Luanda, so i hope you will have some clients. As the local hairstylists are very bad when it comes to handle real hair.

You can bring canned foods along with you. Getting them by parcel(Cargo) is not good as even documents comings from DHL, once have to go and search them from the terminal themselves.

I use bottled water for coffee / tea. 19L bottles are affordable and are better, coz when you use them in cooking/coffee then they also get boiled.

Do bring Malaria medicines with you from SA, as they are sometimes hard to find here.

I have brought some seeds of the vegetables with me and grow them in my garden. (it's more like a hobby than a requirement). Vegetables and fruits are avilable in shops (cheap or expensive thats an another issue)

Other things you will find out yourselves as per your requirement when you land here. so All the best

Farid

Hi Farid

Thank you for your insight. i am good at what I do,so I believe I will build up a good client-base once people see my work....

I am a keen gardener too,and the idea is to have a little veggie patch too....but firstly seeds take long to grow,and one has immediate needs,and secondly,I am not sure if the company will put us in a house or an apartment, but I suspect it will be an apartment,as we do not have children...so a garden may be impossible.....(would love to keep some chickens too....don't laugh!!!)

If one does contract Malaria or Cholera(God forbid) what is the medical service like?

Again,thanks so much for your reply
Natalie

There are a few company operated medical centers (Oil & Gas companies) which have esential medicines and can handle emergency situations.

There is also a Hospital (I went once) last year in suspect of Malaria but thanks God it was chest congestion. It was hard to find an english speaking doctor there, but now i hear they have some Cuban doctors that can understand English.

Some of the friends who work on Soyo bring Malaria medicines which they take weekly (but the situation is much better in Luanda). I have not used till date any.

Which company your husband is joining?

Hi Farid

Well,it sounds ok,,,,just hoping I never have to test their(the hospital) services......;)

If one does decide to grow a veggie garden,is it ok to water the garden from the tap water...? Don't wanna poison the vegetables....

Working from home,as in my case just doing hair,does one still need a work permit/visa?

Talking Visas....If my husband has a work permit and visa,do I get in on a spouse entry visa,or do I need to apply for a visa in my own right? i know his visa has taken quite a while to come through...What have the other non-working wives experienced in this regard?

I'm really starting to look forward to the move,knowing there is such a good support system of expats......!:cool:

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

Tap water is good enough for the garden as earth acts as a natural filter.

I am not sure of the requirement of work permit for working at home.

Visas depends upon company your husband is working. What i recommend to my staff is that they enter with the spouse into Angola with a STV (ordinary visa) valid for 7 days, the processing time at embassy is 2 working days and 1 week max prior to that in Angola. Once in Angola, we submit their spouse passports immediately for one year validity. Now even if it takes a month, we don't care as the family is together in Angola :)

One of my freind's wife is working in an NGO. Currently they are on off rotation. Once back, I will check if spouse requires a separate work visa (I think that spouse is allowed to work on spouse visas) but opening a business might require commercial licence (which Imran talked about).

regards,

Farid

Hi All...

So,just found out where we will be living for the first couple of months,and I am a bit concerned after browsing around on the net....

We are to live in Rua Da Missao...up the road from the Hotel Tropico....

What is this area like? Will it be safe for me to go walkabout? What types of shops or markets are in this area? What are the apartments like there?

HELP.....!!!!

A bit (very) concerned now.....:(

It's nice place - just walking distances to Kinaxix & just down the Hill is the sea.
Apartment depends which building you are staying and which floor. Normally the lifts in buildings don't work, so if you are on the 5th Floor ... Imagine :)
All accessories you require are nearby.
Buy a portugese language CD and start working on it. & if by chance you find a teacher in Luanda to teach portugese, let me know as well :)

All the best 

regards.

Hi All
This looks like an informative thread and I'm hoping that I will get some insights here. I'm researching into moving to Luanda on the basis of a job offer, from South Africa.

The package will come with housing and a vehicle, but we have 2 cats and 2 dogs that we want to bring over. Anybody with experience in that?

Also, I'm crazy about my sport- I guess there are 25m pools for training in and I can find a pavement to run on. But what about cycling? Any cyclists out there and what are the roads like for training?

I've heard nightmare stuff about the traffic- like you have to leave home 2 to three hours before start time. If I start at 8:00, that means I would have to get up at 4:30!!!! Then if I finish work at 17:00, I would get home at 20:00. How true is this? I realise it will depend on how far I wil be from the office (btw, I have no idea of location of house or office).

Natalie, if I end up there I will hook up with you for my haircuts.

For water I would boil water and filter it through a dual ceramic gravity filter in a stainless steel container- heard that these work really well, otherwise buying water will be a small fortune.

(Moderated No free ads)

Hello Rosio,

I saw your post a little bit late, on 05/26/2011. So, I thought by now you already moved to Angola and stablished life. I am thinking to move to Angola to open my own business. I live in Atlanta,GA. USA. Please share me your expriance about life in angola.

Thanks,
joe

Hi All,
I have one question?
Is There safari to visit near luanda?
i am fond of wildlife, can anyone suggest me the place.

bindu wrote:

hi I am an indian and I am likely to move to luanda, I am looking for Indian families settled in luanda.
please help if you know any

Hi i am also looking to move to luanda u can contact me on [email protected]

Hello Bindu,
I might be shifting to Angola soon. Will let you know, when I reach there.
All the Best.
Warm Regards,
Dinesh

Hello guys,

Thanks for the reviews above and im glad to join this group. Im brazilian and moving to Luanda in 1 month (i hope) for a job...I would like to know more about living there, once ive heard its expensive and involve lot o bribing around. Its nice to join for different kind of views and get some tips about. So, fortunately they speak Portuguese (same in Brazil), but im looking for tips in English and looking forward for a group of foreigners for practice the Language...I can help them of learning Portuguese and learning more English at the same time...

International networking and knowledge exchange..

Thanks

Moving to Luanda in 2 month, also open for possibility to meet new people, friends. Especially mom's with kids. My boy is almost 6 years old. Want and will learn Portugese. :D

Hummingbird wrote:

Hi every one, I am in my second rotation in Luanda now(work 35on/35off) as you will see in my profile I am from Brazil, basically  I am looking to meet people make friends I want to escape the bobble of just hanging out with my coworkers.
For those that like to exercise, few tips are the gym at Tropicos(very good), swimming at  Nautico(for serious swimmers), and became a member of H3(Hash House Harriers) look up over  the net, there is a blog hash in Luanda.
As far as the “problems”  well nothing is perfect, I try to filter as much as I can, and just think about how much I make dayly.lol
I read at some other forum a comparison between here and Rio, yes we do have similar problems but in a very different scale, but I am not here to discus that.
So if anyone is up for a squash game or few beers at the Island let me know.
Cheers

O Beija FLor,

Are you still living in Angola?
I got a job offer to work over there, I am Brazilian from Rio.
I would like to get more info about living in Angola.

Hi Imran are you still in Angola?

Afzal