Marijuana in Uruguay

Marijuana is now legal in Uruguay. I could smell it everywhere in Montevideo even before it was legal. I read that it is legal now to buy marijuana from the government, which grows it for a profit. Who can buy it? Do tourists come to Uruguay for marijuana, or is sale restricted to residents?

During my two-day flight delay I was told at the airport that crime is also legal in Uruguay, at least for juveniles. Is it true that juveniles ( under 18 ) may burglarize homes without fear of prosecution or any legal consequence? The elaborate high mortar walls with electrical and barbed wire fences that surround virtually ever home I saw in the wealthy neighborhoods suggested the veracity of this report.

Although I walked about Liberation Square at night without incident, I was told later that the streets are dangerous even by daylight, that muggers wear a suit and tie so that you think you are being approached by a gentleman - who then threatens you with a knife or gun.

There was much that I liked about Montevideo, but I will need another visit as a tourist before committing to the year or two-year application process for residency.

SanMarcos wrote:

Marijuana is now legal in Uruguay. I could smell it everywhere in Montevideo even before it was legal. I read that it is legal now to buy marijuana from the government, which grows it for a profit. Who can buy it? Do tourists come to Uruguay for marijuana, or is sale restricted to residents?

During my two-day flight delay I was told at the airport that crime is also legal in Uruguay, at least for juveniles. Is it true that juveniles ( under 18 ) may burglarize homes without fear of prosecution or any legal consequence? The elaborate high mortar walls with electrical and barbed wire fences that surround virtually ever home I saw in the wealthy neighborhoods suggested the veracity of this report.

So how about some answers

Although I walked about Liberation Square at night without incident, I was told later that the streets are dangerous even by daylight, that muggers wear a suit and tie so that you think you are being approached by a gentleman - who then threatens you with a knife or gun.

There was much that I liked about Montevideo, but I will need another visit as a tourist before committing to the year or two-year application process for residency.

SanMarcos wrote:

Almost two years, no answers?

This is what I understand, but may be wrong! 

Marijuana is still controlled here. In order to own five plants or buy it from registered pharmacies you have to be a permanent legal resident or citizen over 18 years.  You have to register with the government who then have the right to come to your home to check the number of plants you have.  The amount you can buy is quite low per month but I do not know the amount.  They now have detectors and are checking drivers for impairment. The legal limit here for alcohol and drugs is 0%.

There was a recent referendum to lower the age of prosecution of minors to 16 but it did not pass so yes, juveniles are not prosecuted until 18 years.

Someone else may know more.

Thank you

As I understand it, BAC allowable is .04% (Wikipedia says .03, but no source) for non-professional drivers, 0% for professional drivers. Why the marijuana prohibition is anyone's guess. Probably because they now have devices to test for it thanks to the so-called marijuana legalization.

It used to be that smoking weed was not a big deal. Now it will be: has to be government/Monsanto GMO weed. More bureaucracy, more meddling.

Raises the interesting question: if you're presumed to be smoking "illegal" weed because the Monsanto GMO marker is not present in your marijuana test (meaning it's not official government/Monsanto GMO weed), how is it then legal to consume non-GMO weed you've grown with government permission in your back yard?

Like virtually everything else the government here "improves," it's looking like a huge, convoluted, and expensive (since when does government get smaller?) mess.

I could get all the bud I ever wanted in the US, 40 years ago.

MJ is a dead issue.

Hi Mugs!  :cheers:

Dead issue if you ignore the fact that it is arguably the most valuable plant on the planet.

plan_be wrote:

Dead issue if you ignore the fact that it is arguably the most valuable plant on the planet.

I cannot argue its valuableness, but what I do know is that it is indeed true to its name: weed. This stuff will grow anywhere, in almost any climate, almost any place on earth. Dandelions got nothing on cannabis hardiness.

And besides that, outlawing plants is just plain stupid.

There are plenty of more pressing issues in the world besides MJ. I'm just glad that we can largely set that aside an perhaps focus on more important things - like the utter destruction of life as we know it on our adorable planet. Fresh water and stuff like that.

This was in the paper a few days ago.  Looks like the incoming President may try to make MJ less accessible.  From what i have read the government has not started selling any yet and many pharmacists do not want to sell it.

http://www.elpais.com.uy/opinion/legali … uguay.html