Calling All Irish Ex-Pats

Hey All,

I'm completely new to this but just putting the feelers out for friends and people to have a good time with when I do finally arrive in Koln.

Any info and suggestions to make life a bit easier for me and my partner when we get there would be really appreciated.

As you can imagine it's a tad daunting.

Thanks

Kimmy

Hi Kim,

I'm Niamh (31) and I made the move to Germany from Dublin at the beginning of this month. When are you moving over?

I am currently living in temporary accommodation organised by my employer, but will be moving to Cologne as soon as I get my own apartment organised.

Would be only delighted to meet up with you. I popped into the Corkonian pub last weekend to see could I meet some fellow Irish, met one or two behind the bar. I'm told we're low in numbers in Cologne.

Niamh

Hey niamh,

Thanks a million for the reply. My partner has gotten a job in cologne and his start date is 1st September, my German is nor great yet and ive a decent job here so I'm hoping to do afew trips over and back while learning the language and when I think I'm proficient I will start applying for jobs. We currently live in Dublin at the moment and will be scoping out places to live in the next couple of mths. Would b great to meet up with u on one of those trips to see what life is like for u in cologne and have some buddies to make the transition abit easier. If that suits u?

Thanks again.x

Hi Kim,

First of all don't be worried about being able to speak German. They are nearly all able to speak English and love to practice! It is useful however to have some key phrases.

Can't really comment on what kind of level of German you need for a job here, cos I made a transfer within my company.

Please do let me know when you're coming over to visit...would be delighted to meet up.

Enjoy rest of weekend!

Niamh

Any other Irish ex pats out there looking to make some friends in cologne???

Hi Kimberly, I am an Irish expat in Cologne. I moved over here in July 2014. I am looking to make some friends from home. I do know people here but it is quite hard meeting people I have to say. How are you finding things here? Andrew

Hi all,still looking to make new English speaking friends in cologne. Anyone interested??

Hi Kimberly,

I'm Nicola. I've been in Germany two weeks now and would love to meet some fellow Irish.

Hey Nicola,

Welcome to cologne. I'm only here since February. Going to school to Learn Germany at present.

How u finding things?

Hi Kimberley ,
I'm getting on well, trying to learn German too. Where are u studying it ? I think I should consider a course....
Been here 2 weeks so far n started work last week. How about u?

Hey,

I study in the centre of cologne. Mon-Fri 9:30-1:30. Doesn't suit everyone.

Doing a course would make it easier & quicker to integrate & settle.

If u need any more help just gimme a shout.

Happy days! I decided to sign up for one earlier too so just waiting for confirmation. Yeah, it's def a good idea, otherwise you just feel like a right eejit!!
How are you getting on in Cologne?  Do you like it?

Hi All,

Still looking to make friends. Haven't had much luck since I got here. Hoping to meet some new people for nights out and Sunday socialables.

Thanks

Kim