Getting married with tourist visa in Norway

OK now me and my fiance trying our best to prepare all the documents that we need...God is there for us so im sure we are going to fixed everything and i can stay in Norway now that im pregnant...thank you to you @stephy25 and i hope we will meet inperson one day to say my big thanks to you....

hello
thank you for sharing all these info
you are all of great help

may i ask, if you know an instance where visiting visa is granted for those who have not actually meet yet? daily communication online was their only means of coping and knowing each other to establish a relationship.

thanks

I think with regards to couples who haven't met yet it might be challenging, i'm not saying it's impossible but it eill be difficult.

One big reason behind this Philippine's immigration officer also in connection with the different embassies are protecting their citizens from being a victim of human trafficking, also there is their fear of those who goes to other countries to stay illegally so it affects our countries reputataion, and i guess they have a long list of reasons they get strict.

So i suggest if you can ask your bf to visit you first in the philippines it would be the best choice. :)

hi ladies :)

i just found a really cool link i want to share: Immigration Regulations - Norway

i think this is the holy bible of Norway Immigration  ;) hehe

below is section 10 of the immigration regulations, where it states the cases when you can be allowed to apply for a residence permit while in norway on a schengen/entry visa

i havent really gone thru the list, since most have references on other sections of the entire document. but feel free to read on. you can download the complete pdf file on the link above.

i would like to note however that in the UDI site, it states that only a skilled worker with valid stay is allowed to apply for a residence permit within Norway. so the list below may still be dependent on other circumstances or cases. please make sure u carefully read the referenced sections for each item.

Section 10-1 Right to apply for a first-time residence permit after entry
The requirement in section 56, first paragraph, of the Act that a first-time residence permit shall be granted prior to entry does not apply to
(a) a foreign national who is a qualified skilled worker, see section 6-1, first paragraph, (b) ---
(c) seasonal workers, see section 6-3,
(d) a foreign national who is employed by an international company, see section 1-3(c),
(e) a spouse, cohabitant, child or adopted child, who is covered by sections 40 to 42 of the Act, or section 49 when the sponsor is subject to section 6-13 of the Regulations and is employed by an international company. In the case of spouses and cohabitants, it is a condition that the basis for the stay is not a Schengen visa under section 10 of the Act or a visa granted on humanitarian grounds, etc. under section 11 of the Act, or that the basis for the stay is an equivalent visa issued by another Schengen country. If the applicant is a child as mentioned in section 42, second paragraph, of the Act, documentary evidence must be presented to show that the sponsor has joint parental responsibility for the child. If the sponsor does not have sole parental responsibility, the other parent must consent to the application for a residence permit for the child,
(f) a parent of a Norwegian child, see section 44 of the Act,
(g) a foreign national covered by the EEA Agreement or the EFTA Convention, see section 109 and section 110 of the Act,
(h) a foreign national who is born to parents of whom at least one was a Norwegian national at the time the child was born, see section 8-10,
(i) a foreign national who has been permanently employed by a Norwegian shipping company and falls within the scope of section 8-11. It is a condition that the person concerned signs off in the realm or travels here immediately after signing off abroad,
(j) a foreign national who applies for a short-term stay under section 47 of the Act to visit a child in the realm,
(k) seamen on board a foreign-registered ship who apply for a permit under section 6-6,
(l) necessary security and maintenance crew on board a ship that is laid up in the realm, see section 6-31, third paragraph, and
(m) a foreign national who meets the conditions for collective protection, see section 34 of the Act.

hi czeska..

what i can share is my personal experience. I got denied when i applied for a visit visa the first time, that time we've known each other online for 10 months, but we never met in person yet.. i have a daughter and a stable job which i used as proof of my ties and return to my country. But i got denied, with the stated reason that it is unlikely that i will return to the philippines after my visa expired. so my bf went here instead. he came here twice (2-week vacation each) before i tried to apply again for a visit visa. i was asked abt it by the lady who interviewed me at the embassy, coz the denied visa left a huge ugly stamp on my passport.. so i explained that it was when i applied for a visa so my bf and i can meet for the first time.. then thats when i was told that they usually require couples to meet first to establish the legitimacy of the relationship.. and good that my bf came to the phils after i got denied, coz then its good proof that we really want to meet, regardless what country it will be..

also this is what they have in the UDI site for visitor's visa:

How your application is considered
- When we process your application, we consider how probable it is that you will return to your home country or the country you live in when the visit is over. We consider the situation in your country and your own situation.
- We will focus on whether you have anything that ties you to your home country, for example work, property, a spouse or family members who you are supporting.
- If we believe that it is unlikely that you will return, your application will normally be rejected.

Your possibility of getting a visa
- If you plan to visit your girlfriend or boyfriend, you can be granted a visa if you are in an established relationship. This means that if you have been together for a long time and have met several times, you have a better chance of being granted a visa.

hi again.

i dont mean to spam, but i think this is worth the share.

the requirements for the Vistor's visa (VISIT BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND/FIANCE IN NORWAY) had been changed, as i am filling up one now. On the form now, i can say its way less now as it was 2 years ago.. and now it says Original UDI Form for Visits OR Original Bank Certificate of the Applicant. that means you dont need a bank statement if you have the original UDI form stamped and signed by the police.

note however, this is for the Philippines. Source: Checklist - Visit Visa for Fiance/BF/GF

below is something i shared on a different thread, but i think its more appropriate here:

pheebz0501 wrote:

just to clarify terms (coz this really confused me a lot at first reading thru UDI), see some definitions below:

Visitor/Visit Visa: is a schengen Visa, same as tourist except you have a sponsor
Sponsor/Reference person : by UDI definition, this is the person inviting (a relative or bf)
Guarantor : person who will guarantee your stay - pay for accomodation, ur expenses while in norway, even pay the "deportation expenses" if ever u will be deported during ur visit.

normally, sponsor and guarantor are the same person. a good example where this can be different is when u are in norway as wife, and u wanted to get ur parents/sibling to visit u. but lets say u are a stay at home housewife/mom, so u cant present an income to be both the sponsor and guarantor. so ur husband can guarantee for them. You as the relative will be the sponsor, and ur husband can serve as the guarantor. i remember, this will be filled up separately in the application portal.

another example is if u invite a friend to visit u in norway, say to attend ur wedding. u can be the "sponsor" or reference person, but ur not the guarantor for she will cover all her expenses (for now, requirement is 500nok per day). so ur friend will need a bank cert to show she got enough to cover expenses, and she need an invitation letter from you.
source: Visitor's Visa - UDI

important embassy update

Starting February 2015, the receipt of requirements on visa applications will be outsourced... But it is still the embassy who will make the decision. New location, additional fee, longer processing.. :(

see this link: Embassy News

hi ladies.

Just an update:

I had applied for a marriage license while on Visit Visa last week. But i went home last sunday. The plan was to apply for the Marriage license, go home, and re-apply for another visit visa for the actual wedding.

We got a response from skatteetaten that they cant proceed with our marriage license application. This is because of the following reasons:
- We failed to provide a valid stay for the date of marriage. because the visa i had the time i applied does not cover the planned marriage date (because i went home, and was just planning to return for the actual wedding).
- Even if we can provide the new visa (covering the target marriage date), they need my Schengen entry stamp. Meaning, i am already in norway.

In short, they need a valid visa for the target marriage date AND i am already in norway at the time of application. This is because they calculate the "validity" of your visa based on your entry date + days allowed in schengen. This is how they know that you are legally staying in Norway at the time of the wedding.

So we will probably re-do the application when i come back to Norway this March. unfortunately, i already logged an application so we can no longer change the date to an earlier date. Besides, i cant adjust my work vacation anymore. So we will just hope that everything will be arranged until our planned date of marriage, coz we really want to get married on the date we want.

Hope this can help for those who plan the same route (Getting married in Norway while on Visit Visa)

Mahigpit cla pagdating sa kasal...dapat Ikasal ka bago Maexpire visit visa mo para baka sakali makaapply ka ulit

Hi Joy.

we were actually planning to get a new visa AFTER i get home. I couldnt get a multiple entry last December, thats why we have to wait until i get back home in the Philippines to get a new visa.

My last visit visa was just for 3 weeks, coz it was just for the holiday vacation. That is because i need to come back to work. Since the Marriage license is valid for four months, we thought about applying for it way ahead of time, so i dont have to go to Norway too early in march. We want to have more visa days after the wedding, for the honeymoon and stuff. That's why we applied while i was on vacation last december, so i wont need much time before the planned wedding date. Visit visa is only for 90 days on a span of 180-days, so we had that in consideration.

I know this is kind of unusual route, me having to come back and forth.. but we were trying to make it work. we actually called and asked skatteetaten about this before i flew to Norway last december, and they said its possible coz my visa until january is acceptable and valid... but i guess they dont normally explain all the technicalities, and mislead you with information.... i guess, it is not as easy as we thought it would be. :(

we will try again on march, and just hope that we get the marriage license early. coz my arrival in Norway is just 2 weeks before my planned wedding day :(

pheebz0501 wrote:

important embassy update

Starting February 2015, the receipt of requirements on visa applications will be outsourced... But it is still the embassy who will make the decision. New location, additional fee, longer processing.. :(

see this link: Embassy News

apologies for spamming, but i forgot to mention that this is for the Royal Norwegian embassy in the Philippines.

After ill getting married  here what is the next steps so that I can continue my stay here in norway.. is it possible that after the wedding is it authomatically I stay legal here..

@liah

there are some of us here who were allowed to apply and stay in norway while waiting. As for me I was allowed because I fall in their category as a skilled worker (nurse). The other filipina I know also was asked to return to the politi to submit her degree and transcripts papers to be allowed to stay.

So the best you can do is call or go to your politi to check with them if you would be allowed since every case is different :)

Best of luck i hope you will get a positive response ^_^

Thanks for the reply stephy..

So it depends to the politi if they allow me to stay after I get married..
By the way im still  waiting for my cnomar cause I bring cnomar here without red ribbon..sso I request my mama to get it for me.
So 15days before I can have it
And my visa will expire july 18..Do you think I can still catch up the  deadline to get married  here.. tnx a lot for reply.

the politi may have an idea if you will be allowed because there are some cases that they are the ones to decide or approve an application and there are also times when they will contact UDI.

So make calls first. As long as you get the test certificate from skatteetaten and your visa is still valid getting married thru civil is very fast and easy. so while you are waiting for your cenomar and other papers make sure to make calls to politi or udi :)

Ok thanks..
So if ever they will allow me to stay here what are the requirements  for applying the reunification visa?
Is it takes long time to know the approval or the confirmation that I can legal stay here?
So in other words getting married here is not the assurance that i can extend  my stay here in norway..

Thanks again stephy25...
By the way im in Trondheim
may I know your place also?

the requirements are listed here
UDI-Requirements
i just followed that when I applied.

getting married is never an assurance there are some who got married and are also pregnant but was sent home. With regards to waiting time it all depends some gets approved fast and others have waited until 14 months. Also keop in mind once you are allowed to stay you cannot go out of Norway until you receive result.

same im in trondheim too :)

Stephy did u get any response on your case.why u think people have been sent back even after marriage.what is the reason u think.

Ahhh ok..so as long as I can submit my application to the UDI for applying reunification visa right after mirriage I am legal stay here while waiting for the result?Or they send us some notice for me to know that I can stay and wait..
Im little bit scared cause I dont want to  overstaying here and never allow to come back..

@sebikulu

i have no result yet they said at the UDI that it would take 12 months so I hope to receive my result in July.

As for being sent home i dont have the details of their reason, I just saw someone post it in the old thread and some from my area that I know who were sent home are not my acquaintances so I dont have the chance to ask.

@lian yes usually it is like that when the police accepts your application you can also ask them there and if in case you want to be sure call udi. With my case I got married without any visa since my process was messy but it was like

tourist visa > fiance visa (that we didnt wait for) > marriage > shifted fiance visa to family reuni

since I have no visa during the waitinf for the fiance we still wanted to get married last year so we tried to ask udi if they van send us a letter as proof of legal stay and permission to get married while waiting for the fiance visa and they did sent us that is why I have letter of proof. So after we got married we submitted our marriage cert to udi and called them to change our application to family reuni.

What you can do is just call the proper agencies/authorities to ask :)

Ahhh ok stephy thank you..
Im so glad having info from you hope we meet soon since we are in the same place..

welcome :) in time time we'll meet, for now i dont go out that often ^_^

:):)

just to share,  if you have NSO documents or any other documents you want to be legalized and ur already in norway with the documents,  the Philippine Embassy in Oslo can authenticate documents... i think they can process by mail too, tho it can take weeks by mail.. its faster when u go to the embassy in person..

here's their website
http://www.philembassy.no/consular-services

we submitted a report of marriage via mail to the embassy in Oslo, may 26..  they received our papers june 1 based on the stamps, but we got back the papers june 26... tho it can take up to 4 months before i can get an NSO  marriage cert...

and just an update about my life journey to Norway :)

so recap.. December 2014, we submitted our documents for the test cert for our plans to get married in april.. but since i went home January,  i dont have a "valid stay" for April 2015, and more importantly im not in Norway.. so we need to submit my new visa with a Schengen Entry Stamp when i come back April..

when i went back to norway last april (again on a visitor's visa), we went to Skatt,  asked them to scan and email my stamped passport/visa to our case officer. after 2 days,  we got the test cert in the mail. so i didnt have to re-apply coz the case officer just put our application on hold and waited for me to return :) they also returned my red ribboned birth certificate,  mailed along with the test cert...

we went to the court house,  but our first choice isnt available on the date we picked,  so we went to another court house and got a schedule.. we got married after 2 weeks :) thats with a short-stay Visitor's visa, aka Schengen Visa type C, aka Tourist visa...

early this june,  i got back home.. applied for a residence permit (family reunification with spouse) with my daughter last week.. so now,  we were just waiting for the result... we're crossing our fingers to get an approval within 1 month..  i hope we wont receive an email that our case will be forwarded to UDI,  coz then that means 9-12 months of waiting :( so were hoping for the best :)

anyone who is going thru or planning to do the same path as i did, or have any questions,  i will be glad to answer and help as much as i can :)

I forgot to update in these thread that i got my reisidence permit last month.

So i guess that's a proof that what i have been sharing is legit and i hope it will help you all and those future applicants eho stumbles on this thread :)

pheebz0501 wrote:

just to share,  if you have NSO documents or any other documents you want to be legalized and ur already in norway with the documents,  the Philippine Embassy in Oslo can authenticate documents... i think they can process by mail too, tho it can take weeks by mail.. its faster when u go to the embassy in person..

here's their website
http://www.philembassy.no/consular-services

apologies... i would like to make a correction about the legalization performed at the Philippine embassy.. it turns out this is "authentication of legalized foreign documents for use in the Philippines"   and not in Norway...

so the philippine embassy does not perform red ribbon of Philippine documents..

apologies for the confusion :(

Hi guys have this December I'm going to Norway to visit my fiancé, but I have a question is it possible to get married in Norway using that visa, ? What are the documents needed? And can I apply for the family reunification? Can somebody help me? That would be a big help for us.

Yes you can get married with tourist visa.but which nationality/citizen u r?how long the visa is valid for.documents may vary depend on ur nationality.better ur fiancee can call local tax office and ask them what r th docs needed.basic is ur birth certificate nd certificate from ur home country stating ur single status.th docs shuld b appostilled.

Hi I have question after getting married bybusing tourist visa, are they gonna allow you to stay more than 90 days ? Or they gonna ask you to go back in the Philippines? Please help

Hi Ghingron.

first of all, congratulations on ur up-comming marriage :) and welcome to expat-blog

I am a filipina and i had been married in norway with a tourist/visitors visa. however for my case, i went back to the Philippines and applied from there with my daughter from previous relationship.. you can check my thread about it here:
Marriage in Norway with Visitor's Visa (Tourist Visa)

you can also check stephy's FAQ threads about marriage and application of family reunification while in Norway. YES, you can apply for the immigration visa (its officially called residence permit) while you are in Norway provided that certain conditions are met.. you can check her threads below:
- FAQ:Getting Married on a Tourist Visa
- FAQ: From tourist visa to fiance/spouse residence permit while in Norway

application for a visa to Norway is easy and not that expensive, since the norway embassy do not endorse or allow visa agents... but a lot of reading is required... the most important website you need to be for visa information will be www.UDI.no, UDI is the Norwegian immigration authority.

hope this helps and i wish you all the best ;)

hello  i have concern .i"m tourist in norway now then  my boyfriend and i decided to marry here,, and i read all the comments here. na its allowed to marry if u r tourist, the question is how many days  or months i wait if i already submit all my requirements? and what r the requirements to me and to my boyfriend when we apply ,only i know cenumar and birth certificate i need in the philippines... hope u answer and hope u help me guys.. i just notice here its too long the comments 2014 but now its 2015... i hope u read this thank... god bless you guys

Im from india though.if u want to get married in tourist visa yes possible.nd for marriage to get the paper u have to wait 3to 4 weeks after u submit all documents.

hi tjukka.

please go to this link coz ur question had been answered there on stephy's thread:

but please bear in mind that marriage doesn't guarantee you for a residence permit. you still have to apply for it in UDI.. from tourist to residence permit, it is possible if you pass certain requirements.. please read more here:

hope this helps :)

hello its allowed to apply fiancee visa in norway while I'm here. Im  tourist visa and i stay 1month now..

to those that get married, did you change your last name after you get married at tinghuset or you did it after applying for the family visa?  will there be a problem if you change last name before you apply family visa?

I'm not yet married i just planning to apply fiancee visa while I'm in norway.. is allowed?

ishgee25 wrote:

to those that get married, did you change your last name after you get married at tinghuset or you did it after applying for the family visa?  will there be a problem if you change last name before you apply family visa?

hi ishgee

for my case i didnt  change name. coz our plan was as soon as getting back home to the Philippines, i will be applying for a residence permit right away and I dont have time to ammend my passport.

but i dont see any problems changing names after marriage. tho its not what i did, so i really cant share much about it.. lets wait what other's will have to say...

hi marge.

your question had been answered just above your post. for your benefit, i quoted it below:

pheebz0501 wrote:

hi tjukka.

please go to this link coz ur question had been answered there on stephy's thread:

but please bear in mind that marriage doesn't guarantee you for a residence permit. you still have to apply for it in UDI.. from tourist to residence permit, it is possible if you pass certain requirements.. please read more here:

hope this helps :)

the threads in the forum can be more than one page. please make sure to read all the pages to see all the posts regarding the topic coz ur questions may have been answered already..  ;) the road to visa application to Norway requires A LOT of reading, but at least its free and you dont have to pay for a visa agent...  :)