Buying a car

Hi,
I have a working permit and not apply for resident permit yet. But i will apply as son as posible.
Can i buy a car with working permit and without resident card?

Yes you can but not directly. It is not the buying it is registering it which is tricky. For example you can buy it and put red plates on it. This enables you to drive the car for 30 days. You can change a maximum of 3 consecutive red set plates, and drive with them without needing road tax (vignette) and WITHOUT paying the emission sticker which is very high (it can be depending on the car engine even a couple of thousands euros). After the 90 days you will need to get black plates. Now in order to register it you will need to
1. Have a company in Romania or
2. Get plates for it on the name of a romanian friend or
3. Lease it or
4. Get the so called temporary id card

Actually i can explain it to you in detail because i work for a car hire agency - (carpro.ro) and often we sell or rent cars to expats - i can even share here the forms which you need to fill up. And when you get the documents for the car or the VIN i can check it in our huge database (over 1.5 million cars) to see if
- it was ever damaged
- it was ever in a car accident
- real mileage

I can help anybody with any tips here regarding cars, pollution fee or green sticker in Romania, free of charge :)

Hi
Thank you for your respond.
I applied for resident card today. I can wait it.
In the mean time, i can think about long term rent.
Can you send me an offer? I will send you my details.
Best regards.

The normal price is more but I think we can find a brand new car like Skoda Fabia 2014 at 300 + VAT for you :) Plus because you are outside EU as a country you can actually recover VAT.

This includes the car + Insurance CASCO + RCA (mandatory insurance) + Road TAX / Vignette + repairs + technical checkups and revisions (about 2 a year - each 150 euro included), winter and summer tyres, car tax (about 100 euro/year) + replacement car in case of technical issues. Furtnermore during winter if you want you can upgrade to another 4X4 car based on what is available paying only the difference. Another option would be an i20 like  carpro.ro/hyundai-i20 for which we can also give to all members on expat-blog.com the promotional rate.

This we can also do as a temporary measure until your card arrives, so that you can have a car until you buy one.

@ cristinaman > Thank you for your help here. However, i would like to inform you that promoting the services of the agency for which you are working for is not allowed on Expat.com. It would be best if you can only give out information without directing the members to use your service.

As free ads are not allowed, I invite you to get registered in the business directory > https://www.expat.com/en/business/europe/romania/ please.
If you are here only to market your agency, please get into contact with our marketing department : https://www.expat.com/en/advertisement.html

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Sure thank you, i thought it is relevant, there was no intention. I'll be more carefull.

Hi Cristinaman
You seem to know a lot about cars and residence rules.
I am EU citizen resident in Portugal with protuguese drivers license.
i want to have a car in germany as I am visit there often for my work.
I cannot register a car there as non resident and do not want to bring a car from Portugal there (cars very expensive
in portugal).
can i registwer or lease a car in romania, for example, without being resident there?
thanks

alexis11 wrote:

Hi Cristinaman
You seem to know a lot about cars and residence rules.
I am EU citizen resident in Portugal with protuguese drivers license.
i want to have a car in germany as I am visit there often for my work.
I cannot register a car there as non resident and do not want to bring a car from Portugal there (cars very expensive
in portugal).
can i registwer or lease a car in romania, for example, without being resident there?
thanks

No, you must be a resident to register a car in Romania. I believe this is common across all of EU.

Romaniac
Expat-Blog Experts Team

You can put the car at Bulgarian plates. A lot off Romanian people also do this to avoid the high taxes here for diesel cars with big engines etc.

:)

Marceldw wrote:

You can put the car at Bulgarian plates. A lot off Romanian people also do this to avoid the high taxes here for diesel cars with big engines etc.

:)

Legally, this is not allowed.  Yes, I know the locals do it, but that doesn't change the law :)  Police have been told to target these cars for random document checks.

Also, it's worth noting that the EC ruled that the pollution tax is illegal, and it can be refunded without filing a lawsuit.  Going forward, they should stop collecting it....hopefully that gets implemented very soon. I'm afraid of what the next stupid scheme the local politicians will come up with to gouge drivers.

Romaniac
Expat-Blog Experts Team

If you want to register the car without payng polution tax you can make a request to the police for this.Not everybody knows but is legal to make this request.Ask a lawyer.

thanks but issue is not pollution tax. issue for me is being able to register car without being a resident there and ot do it legaly without risk

Hello I live in Romania, am a foreigner don't have my residence yet my wife is Romanian, I have a house a comodat paper my question is can I buy a car?

Milou1975 wrote:

Hello I live in Romania, am a foreigner don't have my residence yet my wife is Romanian, I have a house a comodat paper my question is can I buy a car?

Of course you can buy a car, residence is not required.

Thank you

Another question what kind of documents do I need to buy a car I  Romania and what about registration, thank you

Milou1975 wrote:

Another question what kind of documents do I need to buy a car I  Romania and what about registration, thank you

You cannot register a car until you have a residence permit.  You might want to review the topic "Owning a car in Romania".  It might be easier if the car is in your wife's name and she registers it.

I may just take you up on your offer. How nice of you. Thanks a bunch.

Buna....  could you please help me,? I'm a non EU work permit holder in Bucharest, I'm going to buy a car, I need to know that I can buy it under my name or some of my friends name? can I have your email or any ways of contacting you if possible?
Thank you 🙏

@Sam Brown fernando

This is an old inactive thread. For information read through the posts here.
Also go to post #17, click on the link there for information

Hello 👋 I don't see any link and I'm sorry I don't find the one you mentioned 🙁

"Owning a car in Romania"

It is a thread here on the Romania forum. Search for it using the magnifying glass symbol top right hand of this page.

@cristinaman Hi there.

This is a really old thread, but I could do with some advice about a situation with trying to get a vehicle in Romania. I will share more about the situation if I know anyone is there and this is active?

Thanks for any help anyone can be! Salut!
Hello Clare Francis,

If you have any questions or want to share your experience with us, feel free to start a new thread on the Romania forum. 1f60a.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

@cristinaman i have one question please

can I regist a truck under 2 person