Mongolia Hangout place

Hi All,

I will be going to UB soon.... any idea on good places to hang-out?  I heard many places are not safe in UB... many locals are against foreigners?

I am just looking for some place to chill and listen to live music..

Cheers,

There are MANY places to hang out in UB, depending on what kind of crowd and interests you're drawn to. Obviously, some expats have their preferences, but if you aren't intimidated by exploring a new city, there are lots of places to go.

After spending two chilly years in UB, I suggest that you keep you roaming to about one square block around the main square.  Be careful of street urchin kids near the post office and realize that they will pickpocket you without you having the slightest clue.  Main street between the post office and department store and going north of post office are worst.  There is a good little chill spot on the street north of the Circus going toward Main next to the Beatles statue on the right.....popular and foreigners accepted.  Cant remember the name, but easy enough to find between indian resto and corner.
Best to stay away from late night spots, although some foreigners have gone regularly and enjoyed....most females.
The Irish Pub in Zaisan was popular with the teachers.
Hope this helps!
BTW...The Grand Khan is a popular foreigners hangout because there are working girls prowling around.....and people trying to isolate you from the herd......take care.  Shit service doesn't help either.
You must try Veranda for any good value dinners and ambiance and the little coffee ship Millie's(?) for club sandwiches and good coffee.....closed Sunday,

Cheers!

Why we, locals against foreigners? I am a local and don't have any reason to being against foreigners. Also why we hate other Asian people? I agree about Chinese, but I am sure people of the world doesn't like Chinese much.
Mongolia is a country just like your home country, Ulaanbaatar is a city just like your hometown. Every city have good and bad people. If I were a foreigner, I prefer not to go out alone at night, if you don't have any local friend, find a one : )

The place is called the Turning Point, but opposite is the Revolution the place to be on a Friday night where the dwindling number of expats in UB tend to meet up along with English speaking Mongolians.

Right!  Turning Point.  I remember it as a sickingly smoky place, that if your were a non-smoker was hell, but a smokers heaven!  Good pints of draught and sometimes live music.  Best place to knock shoulders with UBs young wannabees and socialites.  Often stayed open extended hours after others closed.

UB can be much safer with a Mongolian friend, I agree.  Generally, the "bad" in UB is isolated events (random sucker punching of ANYONE non-Mongolian in the street - no matter the age) that usually occur in the areas around the circus (IKH MONGOL is very bad for young toughs looking to show their nationalism) and along Korea Street outside the mainly Mongolian karaokes and pubs.

One last recommendation.....The Bull hotpot restaraunt on Korea street near California Restaraunt (which is also good and a good place to mingle with young Mongolians).  Both are great places for dinner/drinks.

Enjoy Mongolia, but try to get out of UB and see the "real" Mongolia in the steppes.

Cheers!

The real Mongolia is also UB and life there. Not sure that the experiences of unhappy expats is the best reflection of what the real UB is, but it is a part of it, I suppose.

wontoncruelty wrote:

The real Mongolia is also UB and life there. Not sure that the experiences of unhappy expats is the best reflection of what the real UB is, but it is a part of it, I suppose.

Seems a big jump to assume anyone is or was unhappy, but I guess it is the same jump you made from realizing this is an Expat.com assisting others to adjust and get by in UB.  My comments are reflections of my experience and quite objective I believe.  Clearly, I am not hoping to speak of your, or others, experiences.

It is what it is......

Really, a big jump? Responses here have talked about alleged assault, anecdotes about expats who have left and will never return, and claims that "Mongolians" are xenophobic and "hate other Asians". Expats come in all shapes and sizes. I'd hate to see only the negative experiences of expats in Mongolia being shared here. If this forum is to be useful to newcomers, better to be honest about the fact that not all expats here experience things the same way - sort of like everything else in life, if you paint a negative picture of the world, that's the world you live in.

Noted.

There are many rather terrible, traumatic experiences I could recount about other's ACTUAL experiences, but as I said, I am sharing my experience.  This includes my observations, my suggestions, and my recommendations.  I do not believe that sugar-coating things will benefit people, but rather create future opportunities to spew negativity.

It is a fact that most Mongolians (circa 2013 July when I left) have been encouraged by their leaders (political, labor, etc) to blame foreigners for the OT mine issues.  The average Mongolian has been filled with untruths and anger directed at external forces.....hence, a generally mistrust and blame on foreigners.

Like anywhere, Mongolia has its' issues.  However, as this is an Expat.com, lets keep our right to be as subjective as we choose to be.  Those people who post negatively, or even callously, about another nation or culture, should really question whether the expat life is for them. 

As with my suggestions, this is merely my $0.02.  Take it for what its worth OR ignore it at your own peril :)

Thanks for your comments and feedback wontoncruelty!

I just feel the pain of the Mongolian people, with no social security net to fall back on no wonder crime is on the increase, as after all folk have to eat!

I actualy managed to pick-pocket a few little Mingolian kids while in UB last time out..... just joking.
Like any capital city there will be some wrong-uns out to steal or abuse a foreighner but from my experience UB is on a par with New York, Paris, Rome and London my home city when it comes to these problems so don't be afraid to visit just be vigilant as you would in any city.

UB Jazz Club is my fav hangout place. Lovely place, great foods and awesome live jazz music. I am missing this place so much and will go back again if I have a chance. I was working in Mongolia for two years and now I am back home in Australia.