Living in Dalian

You are an expatriate living in Dalian, or you used to  work and live in Dalian.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Dalian?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Dalian?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Dalian?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Hi,
My husband and me are planning to move to dalian for a couple of years. we are indians and vegetarians. we are going there officially.
I would like to chat with any indians living in dalian, since i do not have much knowledge of the city.
i just want to know if it is difficult for veg to live in dalian, is there any indian grocery shop where we get indian groceries and vegetables and how about the weather and the tv channels availabe there.
Can anyone help me.
Meena from india, bangalore.

Hi Meena,
I am just one week old to dalian, but i think i can help you out. Even i am from bangalore.
if you cook at home, its not a problem. When you go to hotels, then it might be a problem. Because of the language. Here none of the people speaks english in the hotels as far as i know.
You can get Indian Grocery here i.e you have to order and get the things. ref: http://www.indiankitchenspices.com/
Weather: Dec  it might go till snow fall, but always you need to wear a jacket and glove when you are going out. Day temp is 1 to 7 deg even it goes to minus
TV Channels: only Chinese channels... illegal you can purchase dish and install for indian channels, but money matters.
Pls let me know if you have more questions. Even i faced the same.
Satish

Hi,
That was very useful. Thanks a lot and have a happy new year.

Hi
I am new to Dalian as well.
Following is another store I found online that ships Indian grocery items. 
http://www.bhoomistore.com/

Are there any stores in Dalian selling Basmati rice???

\K

Dear Satish, It was wonderful peace of information u provided, I'm moving to Dalian in first week of Aug'09, can any one help me to understand average living cost in dalian including rent/water/electri/food/travel..etc, I've been google around to book rental house..but:( no luck, appreciate if someone help me...I'm from Bangalore but living in Kuala Lumpur since 5yrs ...

Rgds
Vinay

My name is Khalinder from Hyderabad India. I am going to join IBM China at Dalian.

Could you please let me know your email id, for any information with respective to Visa Stamping and flats etc.

You are appreciated for your prompt response.

Thanks
Khalinder

Hi Everybody,

I am Gianmarco from Italy moving in two weeks to Dalian.
Can anyone tell me where is the best place to live and meet meet people?
I will work in the Dev Zone, but still haven't figured out if is better to live there or in Dalian city..
Help Please!!

See you soon

Gianmarco

Hi Everyone,
This is manju here from India, Bangalore. I have relocated to Dalian and am new to this city. Any advice on good secured locality for apartment search would be appreciated.
Regards,
Manju

Welcome to Expat.com to all new members on this discussion :)
If you're looking for an accommodation, you should insert an ad in Dalian Classifieds -> Accommodation section.
Good luck
Arlette

Hello i m from bangalore and soon be relocating to dalian with my wife and 3 yr old son ...we are veg.. can u help me giving some details regarding food , house ... also the weather in dalian in dec ?

thanks
ashish

acetester wrote:

Hi Meena,
I am just one week old to dalian, but i think i can help you out. Even i am from bangalore.
if you cook at home, its not a problem. When you go to hotels, then it might be a problem. Because of the language. Here none of the people speaks english in the hotels as far as i know.
You can get Indian Grocery here i.e you have to order and get the things. ref: http://www.indiankitchenspices.com/
Weather: Dec  it might go till snow fall, but always you need to wear a jacket and glove when you are going out. Day temp is 1 to 7 deg even it goes to minus
TV Channels: only Chinese channels... illegal you can purchase dish and install for indian channels, but money matters.
Pls let me know if you have more questions. Even i faced the same.
Satish

Hi Acetester,

I am from Bangalore as well, and another Expat.com member Ranjit is from Bangalore too. Amazing to have three people from Bangalore here in Dalian.
My e-mail [email protected]

Hi Everyone!

My name is Diya and I have been living in Dalian since last 9 months. I am in Indian and may be I can help you with the indian grocery and stuffs. There is an Indian grocery store called "Sunny Import store" at zhongshan square.... this branch has been recently opened, and is in the center of the city...the older one was a little far from the city. This is their email ID [email protected]... phone no 15241181118.
I am a frequent visitor there, so can assure you on almost all Indian grocery availability. Apart from this there is also an Indian restaurant near that store called "Abasi curry", a favorite of many Indian here.
Any concerns or questions, I will be happy to help :D

Hi ashish

I just saw you wanted to know about the weather here in the month of December. Honestly, for me, being a Indian I had a hard time during the winters here. The temperature is mostly in negative at this time of the year and I will suggest you to buy the winter clothing here instead of getting it from India cause clothing are usually customized.

Hi Diya,
Firstly, Thank you for the information. I can say you are a vintage now living there for 9 months! :cool:

As you mentioned the stores are available providing indian grocery, will request if you can help me to know if i need to carry any spices etc from India? If I need to, how much will be sufficient for a single person and which are the ones i need to carry.

I am not a cook and can eat / adapt to the chinese food, hence any good estimate on regular food bill will be of great help too!

I am really looking forward for your response. thanks :)

Talking about spices, you will get almost all the Indian spices... though I suggest you to bring some items like dal, rice and the common spices... I dont know about you, but I still couldn't adapt to the Chinese cuisine here cause Chinese sounds nice no doubt but is very different to the Chinese we get in India. So Beaware and bring as much as to stay alive for few days. For later, you have the Indian store.
And ya eating outside is a total no no here, and the Indian restaurants here is way too expensive, as per daily basis thing!!! :P

oh! now you just making me rework on my cost analysis sheet.

Ok, as I plan to move there atleast for a year, i will increase the quantity of these items (pulses and spices) and forward to my packers & movers to evaluate the permitted limit in China.

In terms of daily food , b'fast should not be a problem. lunch is something i will need to manage (in office) and dinner is probably i will look out for indian joints and simultaneously for chinese food good to my taste buds.

i have tried octo's, squids in Japan for a week and did not found any challenge ;) i am fond of prawns, lobsters, crabs, fish, meat, chicky... so i think i should be able to manage.

btw, i will bring roti-maker for sure.. i can cook dal and rice (nothing more then that) :)

as you rightly said, authentic chinese food is not we can get in india and have to develop the taste!

Then, perhaps you have choosed the right place for yourself :/

;) ... also, can you help me with 1 more question i have been having in my mind for days...

will i be able to access internet and access sites which are related to domains / hosting / email etc like godaddy.com , resellerclub.com , dynadot.com , paypal.com , rediffmail.com , gmail.com

No not through any china server. There are many VPN connections... or virtual networks etc, you will ahve to buy those kinds of things via internet and then access to all these.

oh!!!!! ok, that is a shocker! thank you for the great help. i am still in state of shock.

Hi Diya,

Thanks for the useful information shared by you with respect to Dalian..

Can you also please give an idea with respect to the overall cost of living in Dalian i.e. average per month expenses for food, travel and accomodation...thanks a lot

Hi Sunny,

I am too currently looking to move to Dalian next month through work, i will be based in Software park and have been doing alot of research of late about Dalian, i have been lucky to speak with a few people already there from work and other friends also.

Are you going for work purposes? and will you be travelling alone or with family/friends?

here are my findings...perhaps anyone who is there can even validate them for me and you!

Based on you going alone:

1.1 bed room flat in zhongshan would cost around 3000rmb per month.
2. if you plan to cook yourself and also eat out a few times a week then 800rmb p/m
3. depends on how far you are from work either you can walk or bus/trams are like 1rmb per trip, taxis i have been told are also cheap but traffic is very demanding there.
4. internet and cable usage come to a combined total of 200rmb per month

the rest is down to you but i was able to calculate a total living cost of near 6000rmb per month (Rs50,000)

this was based on my own particular lifestyle which included socializing (alcohol and non veg)

anyways hope this help...when are you moving?

Thanks
Bally

Hi all ,

I am Neha , I am an Indian , me and my husband stay in Shaoxing China since many years . We both are planning to shift to Dalian . We want to know some basic and imp things about Dalian like the house rent , we want to know that do we have to pay the rent altogether for 1 year or every 6 months as in shaoxing we pay every 6 months please tell us for options to pay rent in Dalian

Hi Neha,
Although i am just a month old in dalian, finding a good agent for a house (that too who speaks english) is a challenge.

Honestly, it all depends how lucky you are in terms of finding the right agent. Fortunately, my company had provided me an agent who helped me find a very good apartment near my office.

Few of my colleagues helped me with finding the house (with their opwn friends working as agent) but no good.

Few landlords ask for 1 year rent , most of them 6 months and few 3 months . So chances for you finding a 6 months rent advance is good. This is beside 1 month security deposit)

Just write down the things you are looking for in a house i.e. Approx Size, Rooms , Furnished, Accessiblity etc to your agent so he/she finds a house accordingly and do not waste time.

Also, the agents do not take money from the tenant but the landlord. Please do clarify this as firt go (politely)

Considering you and your husband will be moving, you will require atleast 60sq.mt apartment (1br and 1 living room).

I have taken an apartment in E-International (near software park) costing me approx 2000 yuan (furnished) with 1 hall and 1 b/r. The apartment is absolutely new.

You can get the same from 1500 to 2500 depending on location.

Regards,
Dipendra

Hi Dipendra ,

Nice to hear from you . Thanks a lot for the prompt reply and very useful information . We plan to be in Dalian by the end of this year and looking forward to meet you . Thanks again .

Best Regards
Neha

Coming in winters... aaahh!
do not carry much stuff... woolen does not help in minus (below 0 degree) .. so bring leather stuff (jackets etc) and long boots, inner thermals etc...

catch ya!

He he.......thanks a lot , since we have been staying in Shaoxing , the weather is quite similar here , so now we are used to it . Thanks a lot for your kind help , will be in touch and will see you soon !

Hi Bally,

Thanks for the info. I am expected to move to Dalian beginning of next year for work purpose for about a year and a half. And will be moving alone.

Have you already shifted to Dalian and can you also tell about how big is the language problem there.

Also, I am a vegeration and dont know how to cook. Are there Indian restaurants available there and meal on a daily basis from such places is how much expected to increase the cost of living.

Thanks
Sunny

Bally_Singh wrote:

Hi Sunny,

I am too currently looking to move to Dalian next month through work, i will be based in Software park and have been doing alot of research of late about Dalian, i have been lucky to speak with a few people already there from work and other friends also.

Are you going for work purposes? and will you be travelling alone or with family/friends?

here are my findings...perhaps anyone who is there can even validate them for me and you!

Based on you going alone:

1.1 bed room flat in zhongshan would cost around 3000rmb per month.
2. if you plan to cook yourself and also eat out a few times a week then 800rmb p/m
3. depends on how far you are from work either you can walk or bus/trams are like 1rmb per trip, taxis i have been told are also cheap but traffic is very demanding there.
4. internet and cable usage come to a combined total of 200rmb per month

the rest is down to you but i was able to calculate a total living cost of near 6000rmb per month (Rs50,000)

this was based on my own particular lifestyle which included socializing (alcohol and non veg)

anyways hope this help...when are you moving?

Thanks
Bally

I had no idea it would be this freaking cold and windy-the cold I can handle but what's up with the wind? Dalian has been described as "The Hong Kong of the North". I don't get it. When does Spring arrive? July?

Hi,

I am new to Dalian and was trying the sunny shop number you provided in your msg,but it is not working. Was wandering if I could get all the indian spices and groceries at this store.Do they do home delivery as well?And are they closed on any day of the week?

Hi Satish,

I'm Prem Kumar, currently working in Finland, Born in Hyd, India. I am travelling to Dalian on March 2nd, I will stay for 3 months in Dalian and I work at Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics.  I am really looking forward to meet expats and people from Dalian,  my mail id prem.seelam[at]gmail.com.

Looking forward to meet some new friends

HI! I'm Ruben from Colombia working at Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics... There are people from your country, Pakistan and Malaysia working at DICP. I know that many Indians work at the software park where there are some foreigner companies... March is cold in Dalian!!! But spring is really beautiful!!!

Thanks Ruben, nice to know that people from South Asia, lets meet once i arrive in Dalian. I will be in Dalian on 3rd March, let meet during that week.

Am new too I need friends

Hi Everyone,
My name is Karl and I am from Canada. I am a high school teacher and will be moving to the Dalian area in August. Asides from looking forward to meeting others when arrive, I am also wondering what sort of advice people would have for me moving into this area.
Thanks in advance.
Karl

(Moderated: Please post in the section teaching jobs in Dalian)

I do already have a job.

Hi Guys,
Good Morning...!!

I see a lot of useful information but seems older. May I know if any Indians available here still living in Dalian.?
Along with my wife, I'm  planning to move Dalian from Singapore but I'm basically from Hyderabad. I got a job over there in Software Park.

I would like to know updated following details and appreciate if any Indian living over there  could help me,

How much it costs for Rent for couple near Software Park ?(1 BHK or 2 BHK)
How much would be all other costs(Internet/Gas/Electricity/groceries..etc)
How would it be living over there with respect to social life, climate, and safety?
are Indian groceries such as rice, fresh vegtables, fruits available ? is it expensive?
What would be the cost for health check-ups/doctor appointments?
For the first time traveling what are all most important things to bring such as spices, rice or groceries.?

Sorry for the long list but please help if you know about any of them as I'm curious as the first-time traveler to China/Dalian and I do not want to go with some false assumptions.

Hello,
I m facing the same problem ! I will be moving next month, and I have the same set of questions as you do. Assuming you have already moved, can u answer the questions for me ?
Also, i want to underStand the internet accessibility there? Can i use sites like amazon prime and Netflix?