Lonely Brit in NYC

I am so desperte to meet some more UK people in New York
Cant relate to the yanks!
Please get in touch
Philippa

If you want to be HAPPY, leave the US as it is an Asylum here!!
To remain sane they all smoke "you know what"!!! What a shame!;(

Bonjour Philippa,
I am a French woman who just moved back to New York and I do feel lonely at times here also.
Wanna go for a beer in a pub?
Cheers!
Nathalie
:)

Hi! Nice to meet you!
I'm Italian and I'm going to move to NYC this summer!
I have studied in the UK and I went to visit the city where you are from.
How old are you? Why did you move to NYC?

Hi there,
I am a French woman who has lived in the US for many years and doesn't have a single American friend!! They don't know what real deep friendship means here, they only focus on money and greed:(

I'll go to NY to study and work. i'm a business student.
Fortunatly the uni will organize for me the accomodation, so i don't have to look for it. i can immagine it must be hard!
How is to live there? i have been there last december but i was there just on holydays so i have no idea how it is to live there!
Where are you from exactly in France? i can't speach french but i have been there quite often.
why did you move to NY?

Hi,

I'm a belgian, 22years old guy living in new york at the moment.
It's very dificult to meet people here.
Do you know some nice places where I could meet new people?

Thx

How long are you guys going to be in NYC?

Hi,
My name is Emilie, I live is NYC, I am from Belgium. I am looking to meet new people and make friends :). (moderated: for your security, you should use the private message system) if you want to have a drink sometimes
Cheers
Emilie

I am also moving to New york in march . Have heard it gets really lonely there . I am going there to work n study . really looking for someone to show me around and keep me company or i will be like a lost puppy in the big town

Hi
I'm a Brit who has recently (4 weeks ago) relocated from Singapore to New York... Looking to meet some people who have also moved here! Feel free to get in touch.
Louise

Hi
I am Gautam , from India , I recently moved to new york about a month ago . I would like to meet someone whose in the same boat as I am . Looking forward to hear from you . 646-266-5018

As a former Expat for the past five years I understand what life is like living around the world. I have lived in South Korea and Vietnam for the past five years and I understand how it feels to move to a new city. I specialized in rentals in the Lower East Side and cover all of Manhattan. I have helped many other expats make the move to NYC.

I spent several years teaching abroad, living in South Korea and Vietnam while traveling to more than 30 countries and 500 metropolises across the world.

I would say the best way to meet friends are from "Meet Up Groups."

Yeah right....meet up groups...it's a hit or miss though....as people meet and it's still stays superficial as no ones keeps in touch afterwards:(
The US is not the place to make lasting friendship or find love, it's a place where money and career reign most of all and people have no time or interest in others:(
I am about to leave this boring country myself as I can't bare it anymore.

Louise

I live in NYC..feel free to connect with you. I am a native new yorker looking to relocate to Sweden

French.. I disagree. I am from the states...but the golden rule to get a friend you need to be a friend.  People don't linger around people who present themselves negative or frustating...I know I don't I say to folks visiting NYC..look me up. I will honestly say if I cant or can meet since I do work and go to school, so free time is not often.

Hello Louise,
So you give up on living in NYC too? Moving to Sweden? Better people there? I am moving back to Europe also as I can't take this robot life here anymore:(

Hello Philippa,
So, it has been a long time since your last posting.
Did you meet anybody interesting since then?
I am French and I can't take the Yanks either:(
There are lots of Brits in NYC!;)
I am sure you met some by now?
I am in Boring California and ready to hit the road again!;)
Take care darling,
Big hug;)
Nathalie

No...I don't think that the people anywhere are better...people are people. I usually meet amazing people wherever I go.  I am leaving for a new direction...and love. I believe wherever one goes one takes one's personality and personal baggage, meaning if you are basically unhappy no place can ever make you happy.

I love NYC.

But I met an awesome man and would like to try it out with him. Its a temporary stay since he wants to eventually leave.

The funny thing about making friends is that the people who hate everyone around them always seem to have a hard time meeting new people.  Friendly people never have a hard time making friends, even with those evil Americans.

Halley, I so agree with you. I seldom have a hard time making and keeping friends. To attract good people you need to be someone folks can enjoy being around.

If you carry yourself like a depressed, unhappy person, you sent the message to the world that you will be difficult to please and not easy to enjoy being around with.

Its not a magical recipe, its just common sense. If you come across rude, needy or like  a natural kill joy, no one will want to hang out with you unless its a therapist whom you pay to listen to you.

Hi guys,

I moved to the UK a 4 y ago and felt a bit lonely at the beginning but you have to force yourself to create opportunity to meet people. Here are a few things I did:
- join local gym
- join group lessons (language, gym classes....)
- go for drinks with your collegaues
- share a house with housemates, you will meet their friends
- you know the website "meetup" ? greazzt stuff
- in the UK we also have "citysocializer". Not sure if it exist in NYC.

I will myself come on vacation this year to NYC, would be great to meet some of you. please look at the other topic I launched : to meet NYC people during my vacations.

see you soon and good luck making friends.... remember.... everything start with a smile :-)

phoenixro wrote:

Halley, I so agree with you. I seldom have a hard time making and keeping friends. To attract good people you need to be someone folks can enjoy being around.

If you carry yourself like a depressed, unhappy person, you sent the message to the world that you will be difficult to please and not easy to enjoy being around with.

Its not a magical recipe, its just common sense. If you come across rude, needy or like  a natural kill joy, no one will want to hang out with you unless its a therapist whom you pay to listen to you.

That's all very true, but some unhappy people just want to make others unhappy.  Some just can't see why people don't want to be sucked in.  Common sense isn't as common as it used to be.

heheh..Halley common senses is not common.

Hello
You are talking about Americans here, European people are way different!!!
I am moving back to Franceas I am tired of living in PleasantVille here(FAKE people!!!)...
Good luck girls;)
You eventually will go back home too, soon or later;)

And that's the attitude that always fails.

If I go back home, I'll be with the friendliest people in the world.

If you don't relate to the yanks go back to Britain is full of Brits u can relate to

Reply to Edith V's post above:
You have 3 posts, & it makes me wonder if the other 2 posts were as childish as this one!
Do yourself a favour (favor) & sign into your local Craigslist & go onto the Rants & Raves section,
you will find more small minded people on there that you will be able to associate with!

Lonely...not everyone focuses on money,  Usually folks who move into NYC tend to...however native new Yorker do struggle due to  high cost of living. But there are some cool folks. Hit me if you are still feeling lost

Behehehehe!! You are definitly one of the sheeps!!! It is addressed to The man with the white goatee! (Britmick) British sheep! Watch the GAP!!

Expat was created because people struggle globally to become friends  with the natives of the countries they relocate. Globally many countries have poor attitudes towards immigrants as a whole and often blame the poor economy on immigrants, thus the tendencies to be unfriendly.

However, there are also lovely people wherever one goes. As a Native New Yorker who host airbnb guest from all over the world, I can see many folks are super friendly and have great experiences. Typically those who have horrible time are often not very friendly or open to experiences.

One thing I learned is you can't generalize all people you meet. And the other factor,is New York is filled of immigrants and folks from other states and few folks can really tell the difference between a native and person who relocates.

i want your help please

Don't feel bad.  I have lived here since 1974   I am from Panama and don't have one single American friend. People I communicate with now that I am retired are from Panama and live in different states.  However, I don't feel lonely because there is a lot to do here in NY as far as entertainment goes.  Why don't u join a meetup group?   Explore that. At least you will have company.  Meetup.com.   Good luck.