Type of property construction in Bulgaria

I am going to find a short term rent in Burgas and if I like it intend to buy a property because a 1 bedroom apartments on the coast tend to rent for about £400 a month so after 10 years I could have bought it.

However I am not so keen on apartments as I have had one in the UK and had so many problems with the maintenance company (first one went into administration, second one negligent) and some of the tenants did not look after the building.

I would ideally like to buy a house near the coast but up to 30KM away is fine.
Are the properties there built to a good standard, concrete footings, 2 layers of bricks, cavity wall, safe electrics etc?

Hello there. Are u in Bulgaria at the moment? We are just 14 km outside of Burgas in the village of Ravnets. If you would like to  have a chat and talk about some of the 'lessons learned' initially contact me on my email thsystems(at)gmail.com with a contact number.  Regards.

Hello agreen70

Concerning your accommodation hunt, I invite you to drop in an advert in our Housing in Bulgaria section of the forum while waiting for other members to give you some advices.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hello,

The construction in Bulgaria has been very different in the last 50 years.
No general rule applies. You will have to search exactly for the house you are looking for,
I hope you will find some close to your requirements.

Best wishes

RE: Property/Construction
I just wanted to add that most property away from larger cities and coastal resort can be bought reletivley cheaply, compared to UK so even if you are not able to find an excact match nothing is beyond renovating, materials here are cheaper but plentiful, also local builders and there labour is much cheaper too and reliable and honest I've had no issues.
I had gone from a floor to ceiling renovation and although certain aspects could have been adapted or renewed I basicly rebuilt with modern materials, for peace of mind really the outer shell resembles the original house and traditional look but then the inside is more modern, nothing space age as that was something I didnt want to create and would look out of place but a modern twist on a country house, the drainage, septic tank, and putting in concrete floors ran the most exspensive jobs but I know that from concrete to re-wire, plastering to floor and wall tiles, plumbing to roof tiles and upvc windows and doors the house is now more secure, safe and modern.
I kept all original beams they cleaned up great, lowered the basement floors, removed the plaster render and pointed the original quarry stone walls. 95% complete just some fiddling around the gardens and splashing some paint about should have it sorted. (sorry if the reply is long winded!)
Regards Steve.

Thank-you for the responses.

It seems that every property that one considers buying needs to be looked into individually as there are a number of different types of construction there and so some will be better bargains than others.

Stepool, did you have to go far to get your UPVC windows and doors, did you measure and install them yourself?

No I did'nt fit them I have been using a local builder out there who sourced the windows and doors, the brand is called KMG, what is good they get you virtually any size you require, when the original windows where removed they had been wooden sash windows I really wanted to try and keep them but a few where beyond repair, so I bought the UPVC ones to replace the windows(7) and doors(2) cost €1500 thats supplied and fitted, now I do not question the builders quote he gives me a price and that is that, so I don't know how accurate this price is?
I had a further two windows fitted to the basement after I had it renovated, a large window say 4' x 4' and a glass door with glass side panel that cost €395 supplied and fitted again same builder and brand.
Hope this helps, Steve.

Thanks for the reply stepool.

That is an amazing price.

In 2008 I bought my own UPVC  from door and side panel and it cost 1200 Euros. I fitted it myself.
In 2001 I bought 2 UPVC windows for 1000 Euros. Fitted them myself. UK prices of course.

Yeah UK prices v BG prices!! BG wins!!
I found the concrete floors the most expensive as previously mentioned, and plastering came a close second.
His full re-wire quote was €895, €655 for plumbing & €300 for the cesspit, my favourite was the roof tiles I had a few ridge tiles that had broken off on the main house, and he had previously mentioned that roofing was a costly job so to keep a check on things, anyway he replaced the ridge tiles cemented a render on the the whole top and sides running down, so they are all now secure, the house has a summer kitchen that is like an annexe he replaced the whole summer kitchen roof as the interior had needed boarding out so obviously leaked at some point, new tiles, new timber, flashing etc... 1300 lev that was 2 mens wages, labour & materials, the guy is great, I did/do buy the house from him so maybe he is looking after his own interests too, but I'm happy he's happy so all good.

It sounds like you will have yourself a really smart weather proof home when all the work is finished.

Do you mind if I ask roughly what area you are in, how many miles/KM to Burgas?