Wages for American carpenters coming to Belize or mainland coast.

My long term lover and I have farm in Lampasas, TX, were semi retired, hes master carpenter, I assist. We crave the slower beach life, warm year round weather, gentle people. I make $2500. US/mo but we like to work besides. I'm wanting to know wages for skilled carpenters, and is there work there ? Are there lumberyards like in U.S.? Once we buy land, can we just build our home w/o permits on mainland? In Placencia? If not, is it a hassle like in U.S.?

Hello Bleau and welcome to Expat.com

Hope that some members will be able to help you out on your queries real soon.

Have a Nice Day.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but in Belize you cannot work for an employer without a work permit and if it is a job that can be filled by a Belizian you are not likely to get one. carpentry is likely to be such a profession. if a permit was given the wage evenfor a master carpenter is likely to be only $60 to $90 bze a day.
if you come to Belize it can take many months to get a work permit, usually after residency and to get residency takes at least 12 months in country with a total of only14 days out of Belize in that period. There are rules and regulations now in place for building your own home, maybe slightly less onerous than in the US but rules that have to be followed. On a a more delicate note Belize has a strong religious bias and it is not very accomodating of non traditional unions. I love Belize very much but it definately has some very straitlaced and religious people who may not make you welcome. A lot of folks will tell you Belize is not for everyone. It is a very different place from the US.

terrific is correct.   attempting to earn a living here in Belize is is extremely difficult, especially in the trades or unskilled work or as Physicians/Nurses or orther health care providers.   also getting work permits for these areas is almost impossible.   You can not come here and just do as you please.   there are laws which may not always be enforced but we gringos are subject to enforcement.  also the "lumber yards" here are nothing like the USA.   there is little to no stick construction here.   Carpentry is all fine finish work & cabinetry & the Belizeans do gorgeous work.   Houses are cement block or stone usually.

Not really any wages that I think he would be interested in .not sure about permits because its different in each district and village. Have you spent any time in. Belize?

As a skilled carpenter from the U.S. the wages here would make you cry. The only off set is that the cost of living is also lower. But it is all theoretical, as previous posts have stated, it is next to impossible  for an immigrant to work as a carpenter.

I am leaving Canada because there too the wages are 2. World grade in comparison to the cost of housing and living. Belize doesn't need NA skilled craftsmen, that's a trade they can generate themselves.

@Bleau

Officially, there are building codes to follow. The plans need to be stamped by an engineer or architect in Belize, and submitted to the CBA, unless it's a small 1 story home. The PUC needs to sign off on the electrical plans, too, assuming it's on grid. They require a PUC licensed electrician.

Even a quick look around and you'll note that many homes are not in compliance. It's about 3/4 of Belize homes have a finished floor. Informal DIY is a dominant style. I personally wouldn't chance it. We're in the process of having a home built. The documents process definitely add a month or more.

@DnBR

I hope folks realize they are replying to a thread that has been dormant since 2015. 1f600.svg