Foreign workers must take language test

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.com/n … uage-test/

How will it exactly work, one need to learn Bahasa and passing the test before coming to Indonesia or is the idea that the foreigners study as soon as the come to Indonesia?

The piece mentioned an influx of foreign workers, suggesting Roy's post in the other thread was correct, and elements in the government are concerned about the ASEAN agreement.

That would also suggest, the stupidity of extreme nationalism apart, the tests may be 'flexible', depending on where you're from, and what you're doing.
Some dude from Cambodia looking for factory work may well have to pass the test, but a degree and TESL qualified teacher in an international school may have passed regardless of the result.

The plan is to target "us" expats who need a work permit to get a job, question is if foreigners holding a work permit already will also need to pass the language test or is it just for new applicants once this regulation is implemented.

The ASIAN agreement is different, those people will not need a work permit here as far as I understand but correct me when I am wrong.

happyhour wrote:

The plan is to target "us" expats who need a work permit to get a job, question is if foreigners holding a work permit already will also need to pass the language test or is it just for new applicants once this regulation is implemented.

The ASIAN agreement is different, those people will not need a work permit here as far as I understand but correct me when I am wrong.

ASEAN is supposed to allow freedom to work in Indonesia, but it says that about KITAP (Marriage) holders in UU6/2011.
The law and the law aren't always the same thing.

Tom, I think there are going to be a lot more questions than answers about this new proposed regulation until, and unless, it is in fact implemented.

Typical of Indonesia, regulators and lawmakers have a long established habit of “floating” newly proposed laws and regulations, purposely looking for feedback, a "public caucus" so to speak. 

From what I've heard from my inside source, the plan is to require this language requirement for those currently holding work permits, but having the language requirement upon renewal of the work permit for those permits renewing “on or after” a yet to be determined date.  Mind you though, this is all speculation at this time.

As far as the ASEAN (it's not Asian) agreement, the requirement for those foreign workers as to being required to obtain work permits is (so I am told) going to apply, the difference though is that they can't be turned down due to the availability of local Indonesian workers for the same job.  You'll probably see this being couched under reasons described as “national security” and indeed, work permit holders are quite a bit easier to keep track of than just KITAS visa holders.

Updated as I received a PM on this subject.

The tests were dropped as unworkable because Indonesia would find it impossible to find foreign workers the country needs to improve itself and become a major trading nation.

However, I strongly recommend learning at least basic Indonesian, enough to handle basic shopping and simple interactions.