Expatriate as a Finance Manager

Hi all expats.

Just wanted your opinion on the following offer that I am getting from port moresby.

I am to join as a finance manager with a net of AUD$70k + accomodation+car+telephone exp+electricity expenses + return air fares to sydney and 2 club memberships +medical.
its a 3 year  contract.

Should I sign the contract or not?

Thanks.
Nalin.

There is a lot of questions you should be asking yourself really, the offer is only relative to your circumstances. If you currently make $40k a year and pay for everything yourself than financially that's probably a great offer, if you can make $100k working in Australia, even though they pay your expenses here you may not be that much better off depending on your current expenses.

You should really assess it based on your experience and your requirements.

Simply put it is not enough. 

At face value it sounds good but worked out on a monthly basis it is not much at all. Cost of living and entertainment is high and as you will be joining 2 clubs this is where you will spend money.  You will fall into a comfortable rut in Moresby, believe me and not save anything.

Your call but look long and hard at what aatuti posted. I have been in and out of PNG for many years now and do have some idea of the place.

Hi Nalin,
Please check what type of Accommodation, If you are single may be request, well secured fully  serviced apartment ,close to the office in POM. Best Salary would be $120,000,(AUD) but depend on your experience and qualifications.
Air fares to Sydney is it once a year, if so may be negotiate  twice a year. How many days off I do not go clubbing, but jogging will not cost money. Estimate maximum AUD $ 100 for food per week,simple life style.
Dining out every day will cost you a fortune. Depends on how you live. $ 70, does not mean you are stuck with it for three years. Offer is somewhat reasonable.Acceptance is your decision.
Manel

I do not agree with your cost of $100 a week for food. Must be very simple then !!
Will not be anywhere near enough for an expat Australian with different food needs than yourself as a Sri Lankan.

It appears to be great mistake, I have lived here almost quater a century,travelled, around many countries.
My estimate was for a single person, and my expience with international community I associate with in Port Moresby.
Yes my estmate is AUD 100 , or PGK ? for an individual .THE TYPE OF LIFE STYLE IS RESERVED TO EACH INDIVIDUAL..
Keep additing $ to your cost,the way you wish to live.

The weekly costs depend very much on the individual and western expats tend to eat more than other expats as they do like their meat much more.
I first went to PNG in 1965.

langmansilver wrote:

Hi all expats.

Just wanted your opinion on the following offer that I am getting from port moresby.

I am to join as a finance manager with a net of AUD$70k + accomodation+car+telephone exp+electricity expenses + return air fares to sydney and 2 club memberships +medical.
its a 3 year  contract.

Should I sign the contract or not?

Thanks.
Nalin.

This package isnt bad if you're a middle mamager with around 5+/- years of experience. There aren't many opportunities to spend here. Yes you will spend a lot in these 2 clubs if you're an extreme foodie and a chronic alcoholic. But with 3 meals a day and handful of bears a days, you will easily save half of what you're paid. Don't leave this offer if its a reasonable company and good role.

Cheers