Visa Query

Hi,

I was wondering if some one can help me in regards to the long term visa to Belgium for myself and my family.
My Employer is in the process of obtaining the work permit in Brussels. My status is Permanent residency to Czech republic. That I got after living there for 5 years , As per EU law , I was also granted "EU-long term residency as Non-Eu national".

As per following EU Legislation summary, it states Non-Eu nationals holding EU-long term residency can move to other EU country But unfortunately I can't find any such information from Belgian interior ministry website.

europa.eu/legislation_summaries/justice_freedom_security/free_movement_of_persons_asylum_immigration/l23034_en.htm

--I paste some extract --
"
Right of residence in the other EU countries
A long-term resident may exercise the right of residence, for a period exceeding three months, in an EU country other than the one which granted him/her the status, subject to compliance with certain conditions, including:
exercise of an economic activity in an employed or self-employed capacity;
pursuit of studies or vocational training;
other purposes.
"
--- eoftext---

My question, if I also need to apply for Long term visa to be eligible to work in Belgium?
Would appreciate if some body can shared any related helpful link.

Thanks in advance.
-MC

As you have a EU long term card, you dont need a new VISA to enter Belgium..

Now, to get a residence permit in Belgium which will allow you to stay long term: After your employer secures a work permit for you, you can come here and report to the local commune (townhall) in the place that you plan to settle down. Show them your work permit and existing long term residence card (from the other EU country). They must help you to get registered in Belgium and give you (and your family as your dependants) a residence permit to stay long term in Belgium. I dont know if they will give you a long term card rightaway or a 1-year card that needs to be renewed yearly a few times before converting to a long term card.

This is according to my limited knowledge. Forum members please correct if I am wrong.

Hi Anees,

Thanks for the reply.

If this is possible to confirm with the authorities in advance , so that we avoid any issues later on.
Can you or someone kindly advise me contact information or relevant department where I can contact for the confirmation. I already tried to check with Belgian embassy but they only know of the long term visa. Should I check with the townhall , will it be possible for you to provide the contact information of townhall?

Also If someone knows of reputable Immigration consultants in Belgium, please share their contact information.

Much appreciated.

Your employer must be able to help you more on this. Embassy wont be involved in your case, because you dont need a VISA. You just need to get registered in Belgium social system and get a residence pemit.

If you want contact info of local communes or town halls: http://be.brussels/about-the-region/the … the-region
(This is for Brussels capital region). Click on the commune to get their contact info.

https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/FR/Docu … 0714_f.pdf

According to this document of the Immigration Office you need to apply for long-term visa at the Embassy and only in exceptional circumstances directly at the local administration in Belgium. It appears that you have to follow the standard procedure of any other foreigner that wishes to work in Belgium (visa, work permit, etc,) but, due to your status, you and your family enjoy greater guarantees.

More importantly, according to this explanatory note of the EC, you keep your status of long term resident in the other EU country until you do not get the same status in Belgium:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ … ERV:l23034

Thanks Anees and David. The attached document , i think is in French that i can't understand :(((
Would it be possible for you to extract (mention) the related paragraph for me. Specially the article that specifies the greater guarantees for family visa.

In the mean time, I've been trying to get the related information from the Local commune but not any exact information yet. It looks though(with my residency status) it's not straight forward in Belgium. But as I contacted couple of immigration lawyers there, and they confirm that it can be possible but they have to open the case with local commune in advance but they are demanding a bit higher fee :-(((

On the other side, Do you guys know if there is also an EU-Blue card category  for Belgium ,if Yes, then what is the possibility to apply from abroad?

Even if it will not be possible for me to work in Belgium with my current residency status and in worst case I can apply for Working visa which Embassy mentioned they will grant in One week after work-permit. I'm trying to get this different way just to avoid the long waiting time for the Family visas' which is 6 months.

I would appreciate yours advice and recommendations...

It is the document in English that contains some language indicating the (slightly) enhanced rights when you decide to relocate to a different EU country. The French one just sets out the procedural rules. Let's be clear, your permanent residence status does not make things easier to move into Belgium on a permanent basis, you need to follow the normal procedure to obtain work permit and visa as any other non-EU national.

The advantage is that you can always go back to the Czech Republic, if things do not go as expected in Belgium. Also, you can enter Belgium to provide services or under work contract for your Czech employer (on a temporary basis), something non-EU national are not allowed to do in normal circumstances. As to your family, there is no problem with any delay with visas as they can stay in Belgium for a few months using their current residence card. The potential problem is health insurance during the transition period (they will have to use the Czech health coverage).

For the blue card, just google it and you will find sites like this one:

http://apply.eu/BlueCard/Belgium/